ALERT: All Child Abuse Lawsuits have been settled. Millions cashed out???

by What-A-Coincidence 229 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Thanks Gary!!!

This is really a great legal precedent, especially since the whole CLERGY PENITENT PRIVILEGE claim was quashed!

Of course we already knew it was a joke defense and a huge hypocritical lie on the Watchtower's part but it's soooooo wonderful to see a judge officially rule it!

I do wish we could have seen our day in court though ... for the sole purpose of opening the pedophile database it could have been so worth it. But I'm not a victim so I really wouldn't know.

With a gag order, we'll just have to play the waiting game. Unless another strong case comes up, knowing the precedent has already been set. The Watchtower will have less up their sleeve for use in the sole purpose of bankrupting anyone through the court system.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Meta, I think the main reason they settled is to keep the pedophile database out of the courts and thus a public document. By settling with a gag order this opportunity was lost, correct?

• metatron
    metatron

I would add that they may be wary about subjecting the congregations to the spectacle of a public

fight about sexually abused kids in the organization. For those of you that hope for an eventual

Watchtower catastrophe, I have observed only one way that a congregation can rapidly fall apart

and that involves open fights and scandal among elders. Since Witnesses worship the "organization",

if the leadership ended up in a long, draining fight that exposed their corruption, you could

see entire congregations fall apart. Maybe they realize that...

metatron

• Gerard
    Gerard

Question:

How significant was the decision to reject WT claims of "cleric confidencialty"? Did it only apply to this case? To the Napa County? To California? To the entire USA? I guess I want to know if this was a full-fledged legal precedent that other abused sueing parties can use across the country.

G

• Gerard
    Gerard

I wonder why all of the posts by "Concerned Lawyer" were removed?

I hope the terms of the settlement do not include advertising of her services or requesting information in this forum.

• garybuss
  • Gerard
    Gerard
    Actually, the ruling gives us everything we need. This is a big ruling for JW abuse survivors, likely to create precedent in other states where cases are filed. Other recent rulings on this same issue were appealed to the court of appeals and the California supreme court, who ruled against WTS. I will see if i can get these in one PDF packet for a thread re these issues in one spot, but I'm not particularly good at the tech aspect. As to the earlier rulings on the same issues, it is my understanding that WTS has decided not to appeal to U.S. Supreme Court. We're still looking at patterns showing WTS practice of cover-up in these circumstances. If you know of circumstances of cover-up, please email me at the address below. Kimberlee D. Norris [email protected]

GREAT! Kim may actually be the catalyst to bring change to the WT. (I was not aware she had two IDs in this bulletin).

• ?me?
    ?me?

can someone post a "question" in Yahoo answers about this topic? i cannot because i am still "in". i know a bunch of my family and friends always type in Jehovah on the yahoo search engine. it would be cool to help get the word out about the settlements.

maybe it could be? Did the Jehovah's' Witnesses really settle out of court with sexually abused members?

me

• witnessscorn
    witnessscorn

In case it hasn't been posted on this thread, Bill Bowen is holding a press conference tomorrow @ 10:00 a.m in Nashville at the courthouse. My wife and I are going.

• DannyHaszard

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit