I'm Attending the Memorial

by RichieRich 117 Replies latest jw friends

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I remember when I was a JW and a family that had quit coming for a few years came to an assembley..she was all decked out in a mini-skirt and heavy make up and he had grown a beard and had long hair. They had quit attending a few years earlier..They were easy targets!

We all whispered how they had become so worldly.

I remember many saying.."Look what happens when you leave Jehovah's organization..they look so worldly and unhappy. ..It wasn't a caring comment..more of a I told you so comment. Like see what happens when you don't have Jehovah's favor anymore?

They just made themselves the laughing stock of most of the JW's. An example of "See what awful things happen to you when you leave.Don't let this happen to you!"

The JW's gave them a greeting but then talked about them behind their back. Hypocrites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So don't think everyone will be jealous...or say what you think...they will make fun of your tatoos and piercings and your girlfriends outfut. And use you as an example of "See what happens when you leave God's organization".

Snoozy..speaking from experience!

PS...I just wanted to add that earlier they had quit attending after they lost a child to the NO Blood Transfusion rule.I think they felt quilty about that and just quit coming.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Richie! "It's something I want to do". Isn't that similar to what Clint Eastwood tells us? "A man's gotter do what a man's gootta do", Also, "A man's gotta know his limitations." You know what you need to do, do it, no one controls you anymore.

Blueblades

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Richie,

I've read the thoughts here and your latest comment:

It's something I want to do.

Fair enough, I suppose, but I wonder why? Why does it matter what those sad inmates of the Borg think about you? They are, or should be, an irrelevance as far as you're concerned.

It seems to me that by attending a Memorial that you'll be making a statement as you say, but it may not be the statement you intend making.

Cheers, Ozzie ("Hasn't got a clue when the Memorial is" class)

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I considered going to the memorialâ„¢ once, but I got this sudden pukey taste in my mouth.

Richie, bring a barf bag with you, just in case. After spending an hour in their company, you may need it.

W

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I have to agree with Vinny, you send a bigger message by not going.

If you attend that gives them hope and also reason to talk about you and how unhappy you seem to be. Even if you went with bells ringing and all smiles they would still think you are not happy without the org.

If you decide to go, good luck and be ready for the snubbing and shunning or at the very least, the chatter about how you are not truly happy without the "troof"

nj

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

In part, this is so I can expose Erika to the exciting world of God's Earthly Organization. I want her to see how I will be treated, and how things work behind closed doors.

And I understand that some may try to use my presence at proof that I'm not happy with life outside... But honestly, why would I care what they're thinking? It'll never get back to me... All I will know is what I perceive their reaction to be. So if I perceive it to be what I expect, then who cares if they think differently?

I think it will be the older ones who will think about things so critically. I think the younger ones will kind of get the picture.

Eh...

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

If you REALLY want to go as yourself..why wear a suit?

Why show them ANY respect..go all out.

Snoozy..

• juni
    juni

Didn't have time to read all of the posts - I'll read them later.

But I think you should Richie. Shows them that there is a life beyond the JW religion. I'm sure they'll think you've gone to hell in a handbasket, but who the hell cares what they think.

Do it for you. You've come a long way guy and what they say to you or don't say won't change your mind. Yes. I wonder if they'll talk to your girlfriend. Keep us posted, Okay? And would love to see more pics of you and your girlfriend.

Juni

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Weighing in my two cents...

They still have an emotional hold on you. If your life is as good and happy as you claim, why do you even care what they think?

Paraphrasing an excellent quote:

"Maybe we would worry less about what people thought about us if we realized how little they actually do"

You are gone. You need to face the cold hard reality that your name likely hasn't come up in the congregation in over a year. Even more likely is that most of the congregation has forgotten you exist.

But you remember them and you want to redefine the image that they remember you by. Plain and simple, it won't work. You will be the discussion of dinner tables for a couple of nights to some, then forgotten again.

They don't care about your happiness. They don't care about your well being.

When you finally realize this and stop caring about their opinions of you, I think that's the home stretch to recovery.

If you are going for some sort of closure, I hope you end up finding it.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

If you REALLY want to go as yourself..why wear a suit?

I agree.....so as the REAL richierich!! If you are doing it for yourself, do it 100% for yourself!!

Happy that you and Erica are great!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit