Ban on Jeans , T-Shirts & Shorts after the Convention

by dozy 85 Replies latest jw friends

• Borgia
    Borgia

Well, they have been indicating it for years but never dared saying it out loud like this. More or less like: look at the pictures in literature.......

Going back to old times....

http://www.picturehost.co.uk/img/a9b827d5a5625b4d0ff6a5df8314881c/gardening+in+suit+no+tie.jpg

Cheers

Borgia

• undercover
    undercover

There is a shift in being more strict when you compare the two KMs from different time periods.

Notice what the 95 KM says (thanks to Blondie!):

The majority of the brothers and sisters wear modest, respectable clothing while at the convention site. Later, however, at hotels or in restaurants, some brothers and sisters, still wearing their badges, were dressed in "tank tops, old denims, short-shorts, and . . . faddish clothes not becoming to God’s people." If the elders observe that some have a tendency to dress this way during leisure activity, it would be appropriate to offer kind but firm counsel before the convention that such attire is not appropriate , especially as delegates attending a Christian convention. Please review with your Bible students who will be attending the convention the guidelines on conduct and dress outlined above.

I remember this KM and I remember thinking that it didn't apply to me because even though the first thing I did after the afternoon session was to go back and change clothes, I still wore "acceptable" casual clothes. I didn't wear "faddish" clothes or go to extremes. I thought that this admonition was to those who were either dressing really sloppy while hanging out at the pool, or dressing to the nines or provocatively while hitting clubs and bars. It doesn't prohibit the wearing of casual clothes, just says to stay away from extremes. It says "old demins" but not nice, clean jeans. It says short-shorts but not shorts. Compare that to the new KM:

5) Should we manifest a dignified appearance only when attending the program? Remember that many will
    observe us wearing our convention badges while in the convention city. Our appearance should make us stand out
    from the general public. Therefore, even during leisure time, such as when going out to eat after the program, we
    should dress as befits ministers who are in the city for the purpose of attending a Christian convention and should
    not wear such clothing as jeans, shorts, or T-shirts. What a witness this will give to the community! Jehovah is
    pleased when our appearance bespeaks our role as ministers.

This new KM comes right out and says that the dubs "should not" be wearing jeans, shorts or T-shirts. It doesn't say ratty jeans or short-shorts or tank tops, it says jeans, shorts and T-shirts. Definitely a tightening of the screws.

What boggles my mind is that they haven't figured out that the more intrusive they are with their rules the more apt the rank and file will be to rebel. Well, it does and it doesn't. It's this type of behavior on the part of the leadership that gives evidence to the accusations of the organization being a cult.

It's been noted on this board that for several years there seemed to be a swing to lightening up on the dubs as far as dress, grooming and personal choice in certain matters go, but that in the last couple of years, it seems that the hard-liners are starting to exert their authority with a new fervor. This article seems to give credence to that theory.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Maybe the WTS plans to go into the textile business soon and make "theocratic" uniforms for all JWs to wear at all times to identify themselves as "ministers." From everything I've heard, it sounds like the WTS needs a little extra pin money.

Let's see -- black suits and ties, white shirts, polished shoes for the men; long black skirts and jackets, white blouses for the women.

And how about a purple triangle sewn onto the sleeve? Maybe not -- the Nazis may have already copyrighted that detail.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Dear Undercover:

I agree with you; I tried to post some information earlier, but got an error message. This IS a change towards a more strict position. Prior KMs did not ban ALL jeans, shorts and T-shirts. I do not recall anyone in my congregation, including elders and their wives, who felt it inappropriate to change into jeans to go to dinner.

Justitia

• Warlock
    Warlock

So am I going to have to sleep in my suit, too?

Warlock

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    it seems that the hard-liners are starting to exert their authority with a new fervor

It is this very thing that puzzles us. We assume they will lighten up because they are
    losing members, but they come down hard, instead. Maybe they recognize the sinking
    ship for what it is, and will hold the line until they die. Maybe they believe that
    God is blessing their efforts more than we think they believe it.

WHO CARES IF YOU WEAR JEANS AND A T-SHIRT OR SHORTS TO GET A
    SANDWICH AT BURGER KING, BEFORE GOING TO THE HOTEL FOR A DIP IN
    THE POOL? Apparently, they care. It makes no sense, but there it is.
    MIND- CONTROL, MIND- CONTROL, MIND-CONTROL. Soon, they'll say to
    avoid the pool at the hotel, too many worldly people in bathing suits. They already
    told people to avoid restaurants at lunchtime, bring a cooler- save money so you can
    donate it. I can see Society bunkrooms in the future for hotel savings, so there's more
    to donate, or forcing everybody to ride their buses to the DC (same reasoning) and skip the
    worldly hotel altogether.

Their lasted offerings to the public are jokes- flyers on True Religion or invitations.
    The flock are allowed to leave the flyers and run away without discussion.
    They are all about controlling the remainder and giving up on recruitment in the
    established countries.

• Stealth
    Stealth

I was at a quick build once and a worker had a t-shirt with a nike emblem on it. They told him he would have to go home and change his shirt or put a piece of duct tape over it.

He looked like a goof with the duct tape on his shirt all day.

I would have went home and not come back!

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

For the first time since I've been out of the org (2 1/2 years now) I got a shiver and the heebie-jeebies from reading that stuff from the Kingdom Ministry. For a horrifying half-second, I was back in those awful Kingdom Hall chairs, listening to that tripe being read to me from the platform, and I was seeing myself saying, "yes, I'll obey". *shudder*

Free at last...

Dave

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Thank goodness I am being judged by Christ and it says this about him at Matt 22:16 16 So they dispatched to him their disciples, together with party followers of Herod, saying: “Teacher, we know you are truthful and teach the way of God in truth, and you do not care for anybody, for you do not look upon men’s outward appearance.

If one is not defiled by what he eats but rather by what comes out of his mouth, how can a person be condemned for what they wear, it would seem to me, that proclaiming complete truth and allowing pedophiles to hide out in your congregations and to take the name of God on yourself would be more of a bad witness then jeans.

abr

• Dagney
    Dagney

Good to know the GB is still aware of the important things in life and is dispensing the food accordingly.

(**sigh**)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit