Ban on Jeans , T-Shirts & Shorts after the Convention

by dozy 85 Replies latest jw friends

• Ozner
    Ozner

Just like the first Christians! They also wear costumes and ties the whole day, just like salespeople, and not like missionary's.

But: do you think that young JW will listen to this counsel? There is a reason why this is said every year: because they don't listen anymore!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I'd like to see the rest of the quote to get the complete context. It doesn't change the control factor of the WTS,
    but the way it's worded here it comes across nothing short of a command. I wonder if the complete text would
    change it to more of a suggestion?

Okay, but it's easier to type it than to scan and get it in here, so I hope you appreciate this-

4) Dignifed Appearance: Many expressed appreciation for the reminders in last year's district convention
    talk "Manifest Christian Dignity at All Times," which emphasized that God's servants should strive to manifest
    Christian dignity in their dress and grooming. This year we should again give this matter our serious attention.
    Our appearance reflects our feelings for Jehovah and for the privilege of being his Witnesses. (YES, THEY USED A
    SMALL CASE "his" FOR GOD, AND A CAPITAL "W" FOR WITNESSES.) We should always dress as those
    "professing to reverence God."- 1 Tim. 2:9, 10.

5) Should we manifest a dignified appearance only when attending the program? Remember that many will
    observe us wearing our convention badges while in the convention city. Our appearance should make us stand out
    from the general public. Therefore, even during leisure time, such as when going out to eat after the program, we
    should dress as befits ministers who are in the city for the purpose of attending a Christian convention and should
    not wear such clothing as jeans, shorts, or T-shirts. What a witness this will give to the community! Jehovah is
    pleased when our appearance bespeaks our role as ministers.

Personally, the bikini qualifies for making the woman "stand out from the general public" and the badge would
    identify her as one who is "in the city for the purpose of attending a Christian convention."

• dozy
    dozy
    Undercover: It doesn't change the control factor of the WTS, but the way it's worded here it comes across nothing short of a command. I wonder if the complete text would change it to more of a suggestion?

Hey - are you suggesting that I'm using ellipses to take something out of context & subtely change the original passage - now where would you get that idea from?!

Par 5 in full: Should we manifest a dignified appearance only when attending the programme? Remember that many will observe us wearing our convention badges while in the convention city. Our appearance should make us stand out from the general public. Therefore , even during leisure time , such as when going out to eat after the programme , we should dress as befits ministers who are in the city for the purpose of attending a Christian convention , and should not wear such clothing as jeans , shorts, or T-shirts. What a witness this will give to the community! Jehovah is pleased when our appearance bespeaks our role as ministers.

The WTS have never really embraced jeans. Any character in the mags who wears jeans is usually a baddie. Even in the pictures of the new order , smart "chino" trousers are worn , even when digging gardens , attending to tractors or gathering bundles of fruit. There used to be brothers in pre-convention who would check to see if sisters jeans were too tight , and ask them to change if necessary.

Further censure is given in Par 3 - "While the programme is in session , it is not the time for needless talking , text messaging , eating , or roaming the corridors."

The whole tone of the article is very strong & controlling.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

It will soon be mandatory to all dress like the Hasidims, all in black. Beards and curls, hair locks on the side of mens faces. Afterall, they keep on quoting the Hebrew scriptures and examples, soon, they will be making sacrifices at the D.C.

Blueblades

• found-my-way
    found-my-way

Personally, the bikini qualifies for making the woman "stand out from the general public" and the badge would
    identify her as one who is "in the city for the purpose of attending a Christian convention."

my thoughts exactly...lol

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    There used to be brothers in pre-convention who would check to see if sisters jeans were too tight , and ask
    them to change if necessary.

I would like to hear more about that job. How do you apply?
    Seriously, where would they be? Are you talking about cleaning the area before a convention?

• Zico
    Zico
    Jehovah is pleased when our appearance bespeaks our role as ministers.

And how would they know this? You gotta laugh when they speak for God. A God who doesn't like jeans, is a very petty God.

• found-my-way
    found-my-way

Dozy,

what is pre-convention?

women who were there to clean?

and they got told to change if their jeans were too tight?

• undercover
    undercover
    Hey - are you suggesting that I'm using ellipses to take something out of context & subtely change the original passage - now where would you get that idea from?!

I'm not suggesting that at all...

I do like to get as much information on a subject before finalizing my opinion on a matter (not that I always do that...sometimes I go off without thinking, to my embarassment later).

Years of having the WTS present material to us in a similar fashion only to find that they were misquoting and taking things out of context has made me careful to try to read entire paragraphs or articles in their entirety to get the full import of the message.

I'm sure that you were trying to condense the information to just the essentials for our benefit, but I think that if we present the entire section, paragraph or article it can give more weight to the argument against it than just picking out snippets to pick on. An apologist could easily say that it was taken out of context...but with the entire thing shown, it proves that it wasn't taken out of context.

Thanks for posting the rest of the information (Thanks to OnTheWayOut also).

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

..What a Witness that will be!..Look at those people all dressed up to go camping!..They look like retards!..They must be Jehovah` Witness`s!..LOL!!...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit