Ban on Jeans , T-Shirts & Shorts after the Convention

by dozy 85 Replies latest jw friends

• dozy
    dozy

APR KM Insert

"Even during leisure time , such as when going out to eat after the programme , we should dress as befits ministers... and should not wear such clothing as jeans , shorts or T-shirts . What a witness this will give to the community."

WTS have banged on this theme for years , but this is the most specific that I have seen this requirement. Lots of brothers attend a BBQ at a campsite every year on the Saturday of the assembly - now they can't wear casual clothes. What do the WTS suggest they wear if it is hot? What about little Johnny eating his burger with mayo & ketchup - no jeans ,shorts or t-shirts allowed. Will they pay for the dry cleaning bill? Is it a "good witness" for onlookers to see people in hot weather having an outdoor meal in suits and ties - or will they think that JWs have gone completely mad?

• Gill
    Gill

Control Freaks!!!

Soon they will have the R and F dressed like the Amish!

• NanaR
    NanaR

Baloney!! This post just caused me to remember why I now wear slacks to work (and church). I hate hate hate pantyhose and heels. I'd like to see some of those GB members dress up in hose and heels for a picnic. Also, I remember lots of comments about different attire of church members (such as some in my area where the women do not cut their hair and wear long skirts) as being just making a "show" of righteousness. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh!! NanaR

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Thanks dozy!

Perhaps they need to take a closer look at their own Bible! 1Corinthians 4:6 6 Now, brothers, these things I have transferred so as to apply to myself and A·pol´los for YOUR good, that in our case YOU may learn the [rule]: “Do not go beyond the things that are written,” in order that YOU may not be puffed up individually in favor of the one against the other. http://www.watchtower.org/bible/1co/chapter_004.htm Nevada-

• Priest73
    Priest73

What about those poor brothers that work constructions. They'll sure look funny swingin' hammers and hanging drywall in purple suits.

• Zico
    Zico

Well, I know where I'm going after each day of the Convention, I'm going to the pub, and just as ordered, I'll make sure to proudly wear my suit and Convention badge.

• Clam
    Clam
    Is it a "good witness" for onlookers to see people in hot weather having an outdoor meal in suits and ties - or will they think that JWs have gone completely mad?

Precisely. People generally dress more casually these days anyway. Even politicians go casual in a supposed attempt to show their "ordinary side". The WTS are nuts and out of touch. Like you say, people will just see nerds in suits, not "God's people". What next? Getting baptised in a suit and tie?

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

I feel sorry the the teenagers and young adults. It's bad enough having to sit through a convention, but not been able to go home and change into more comfy clothes before going out it's just crazy. What next?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

So shorts, T-shirts and jeans are out. Ok.

What about combat fatigues, cords, shellsuits, turtlenecks and arran knitwear?

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Dont be ridiculous LT

Ask yourself . . .

What would JESUS wear to a post assembly gathering

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit