Ban on Jeans , T-Shirts & Shorts after the Convention

by dozy 85 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

I should go to the memorial in Jeans and T-shirt this year.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

They are becoming more strict, not less, strict with clothing. Years ago (early 70s) when I was a teenager, our family toured Bethel as part of group from our congregation. ALL the sisters, including myself, wore "pantsuits." No one thought anything of it. I heard that now sisters have to wear dresses to tour Bethel.

About two years ago, a friend of mine was a bridesmaid for a sister at Patterson. My friend stayed at the Patterson "hotel" facility. She had just arrived, unpacked, and was getting ready to leave her room (in jeans) when she noticed a sign saying that sisters had to wear dresses at all times. She had not anticipated this, and she had packed only a couple of dresses for meeting, which left her with perhaps two outfits to wear since she packed mostly pants. She is a very loyal sister, but boy was she TICKED OFF!!!!!!

The annoucement is correct in one aspect however. The community WILL notice, and they will NOT be attracted to JWs. It will simply make us look more strange.

Justitia

• garybuss
    garybuss

The Witnesses tried to get bossy with me in the early 70's and I just told them, "Hey look, I'm just here doing unpaid volunteer work. If ya give me any crap, I'll go home."

Who's benefit is the no shorts clothing rule? The first party is the Watch Tower Publishing Corporation. They're not there. It can't be for their benefit. The second party is the Witness who wants to be comfortable. They don't want to be uncomfortable. It can't be for their benefit.

So . . . It begs the question. "Specifically, who's the third party beneficiary to the casual dress code rule?"

• blondie
    blondie

NOTHING IS NEW UNDER THE WTS SUN: (12 years ago)

km 5/95 pp .4-5 1995"Joyful Praisers" District Convention***

After one of the "Godly Fear" District Conventions, we received this observation: "The brothers and sisters have improved considerably in their dress, grooming, and conduct at the convention this year. . . . There are still certain conditions and habits that need further improvement, however." After another convention it was reported that immodest dress was very noticeable. The report mentioned that the dress of some was offensive to others. Some outsiders present also noted the immodest dress. The clothing of some was both too revealing and too tight.

The majority of the brothers and sisters wear modest, respectable clothing while at the convention site. Later, however, at hotels or in restaurants, some brothers and sisters, still wearing their badges, were dressed in "tank tops, old denims, short-shorts, and . . . faddish clothes not becoming to God’s people." If the elders observe that some have a tendency to dress this way during leisure activity, it would be appropriate to offer kind but firm counsel before the convention that such attire is not appropriate, especially as delegates attending a Christian convention. Please review with your Bible students who will be attending the convention the guidelines on conduct and dress outlined above.
  • Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    The clothing of some was both too revealing and too tight.

I'm sure this is in reference to many elders who underestimate their circumference. I've seen many who wear shirts so tight the buttons could pop off at any moment.

W

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I think they need to take a picture of the DON'Ts........and then the DO's like they do in the back of Cosmopaliton magazine.

They can black out the eyes so no one will notice who the dress offenders are.

• Justitia Themis
  • Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

It reminds me of the religious group (Presbyterians?), where the women do not wear make-up, and wear very long and plain dresses. When they go swimmimg (if you can call it that), they wear long dresses, too.

A very odd group... and yes, it is noticeable by everyone in the public (how could you NOT notice?).

Soon the JWs will be very similar in their dress code... heck... you won't be able to tell the two religious groups apart. Oh - wait! Yes you will, I forgot the badges the JWs wear.

Regards,

Jim TX

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Everytime I read stuff like this, I thank God more and more that I am out of this madness.

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

"Remember that many will observe us wearing our convention badges while in the convention city."

Which is why I didn't wear my badge when socializing after the convention. This way I could wear whatever the hell I wanted. Bastards.

tall penguin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit