UPDATE!: THEY ALL ADMITTED EGGING US -Elders now know, heads are rolling!!

by Lady Liberty 184 Replies latest jw friends

• Incognito
    Incognito

I agree with the various posts about pressing charges.

I feel that there are quite a few issues here, many of which have been touched on by various others. They include (not in any particular order).

1) Jehovah’s Witnesses brag that they set the example for being law abiding members of the community. This is one example that shows that this is not necessarily true.
    2) It seems some here are making fun that it was ‘Frosty’ that was damaged but it doesn’t matter what the item was, it is YOUR property & they had no right to touch it nonetheless damage it.
    3) This was not just one person that had momentary laps in judgment, but three (or four) grown men. I don’t recall if you stated if any held positions in the congregations but, whether they do or not, their actions could bring about ‘reproach on Jehovah’s name’ & ‘stumbling others’ (WT jargon) & they all are of an age to know better.
    4) If alcohol was involved & clouded their judgment, perhaps then they drank to excess thereby leaving their mind open to ‘outside influences’ & ‘stumbling others’ (more WT rhetoric).
    5) If the perpetrators of these actions were strangers to you or otherwise not JW’s, you most likely wouldn’t think twice about pressing charges.
    6) To those statements about being ‘forgiving as a Christian’, please reconsider point #5 above. These perpetrators broke the law & should be held accountable for their actions.
    7) Was this egging a pre-meditated action whereby eggs were purchased & brought to the neighbors specifically to vandalize your property? If not, the neighbor was more involved than he admits as he supplied the ammunition.
    8) Perhaps there is hidden damage that will be only made evident in the future, possibly requiring an insurance claim. Many insurance companies will only consider vandalism claims when accompanied by a Police Report.
    9) When the first individual came forward to fess-up & offer an apology, it was a noble gesture for your husband to accept & forgive. You now have additional information that contradicts the info offered by him, & if true, making his apology (and hubby’s acceptance) null & void.
    10) They (and other JW’s) will be less likely to pull other stunts on you in the future as you have shown that you will not sit back & take their mistreatment.
    11) The WT is not directly involved & should not be named in the charges. The individuals as ‘Jehovah’s Witnesses’, should be specified. This can be considered a hate crime especially considering that one of the perpetrators stated as much.
    12) JW’s consider themselves as most loving with the love Jesus identified his followers as having. This qualifying as a hate crime shows the direct opposite.
    13) As mentioned, how many ex-JW’s are abused every year? These abuses need to be put on record. Perhaps there can be a section on this DB for known hate crimes against ex-JW’s.
    14) If charged, they then have to admit to their families what they did, thereby admitting their ‘immature Christian’ (WT) behavior.
    15) A local need talk ‘should’ then be required.

Thank you for your consideration.

Incognito

• Will Power
    Will Power

I just had another thought about at least the report of this crime, whether lawsuit, media attention, etc., it could show a pattern for future incidents - for you, or others facing the same shunning behaviour. More evidence for their blackmailing ways of the alienation of affection which is taught from infancy. wp

• seven006
    seven006

WP,……………..The problem with trying to address the whole congregation has several problems………………………………1, the whole congregation is not at fault…2,one of the biggest problems with getting JW’s to listen to anything an ex-JW has to say is they “lump think” us all into the same category..evil lying, disgruntled, dog puke. Not doing what they may do is doing it smart………………..…………….3,If this does go to the authorities and or media (and they could all have a good time with this), looking at it from a legal standpoint, they will only be interested in dealing with those directly involved or directly there that night. They will not be interested in any bible based rules or suggestions…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….You can’t get greedy when there is an opportunity like this…………………………………………You need to think intelligently and methodically about the big picture and keep in mind the group thinking and innate curiosity of the average JW……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………If a meeting like is set up by a (judge who’s main concern to seal with a hate crime) or (the elders with their main concern to try and keep his out of the press) just talking to the group involved will do a lot………………………………………………………..Think about every thing that can come of just asking for this meeting. If the elders say no, the press and public opinion will judge them for their actions. That will be huge exposure. If the elders agree to the meeting they may think that will be a great way to keep this quiet but the information that will be given out might make a few in the group think a little. One you get one JW thinking on their own, well……….. I think is great………………They’ll be dammed if they do and dammed if they don’t. Their crazy interpretation of justice and what is right will blow up in their face. And, all by their own doing because of their fear in their own thinking and need to control their own people……………………………………………………Dave

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

One other suggestion. If you decide even down the line, you want to do something about this, you need a police report. If you havent called them, you should. Tell them everything, and give them the names. They will go talk to them and ask them why they did it, and it will be in the police report. You can then get a copy, so you have one, whatever you decide to do. (you dont have to press charges, just tell them you want the report drawn up incase)

• Mary
    Mary
    Seven suggested: Think about giving your local ex-congregation an offer. Tell them you have not decided to take this situation to the authorities or the media under the category of a hate crime, YET…and you will not make that decision YET if they will agree to do something for you. That agreement will be to have the opportunity to have you and your husband explain exactly why you left the religion to the whole group of people who were at the JW New Years Eve party. You can give it a time table and say this meeting must happen in no less that a week from your giving them this notice. Then you can give all the information you have posted on this board about 607, 1914 and alike. If they do not agree to this then you will do as you please with whole story

While this is an excellent suggestion Seven, I can't see it happening. Between the two evils, the elders would almost certainly prefer to have the brothers charged and even have an article in the newspaper, because even though it would be embarassing, they can still yell "persecution" and the congregation in general would simply think " Leave it to an 'apostate' to make a mountain out of a molehill just to try and make us look bad.." Those in the congregation would almost certainly say in private that they think it's funny what these 'brothers' did to an apostate's house.

However, if LL were allowed to share her views and opinions on what she knows about the religion to other Witnesses, that could be a devastating blow and would almost certainly cause some independent thinking in the congregation. This of course, must be avoided at all costs. So while your suggestion is good, I can't see the elders agreeing to it.

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

Press charges. If anyone else, for any reason, vandalized your property, you would press charges. Vandalizing done by people thta were once your friends is even more reprehensible than that done by strangers.

It's really not even about getting back at the congregation or exposing JWs. It is about doing what is right. People should not be able to vandalize your property without consequences. Any repercussions these men or the congregation face is not your fault..it is theirs.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    Vandalizing done by people thta were once your friends is even more reprehensible than that done by strangers.

I think this is one of the major reasons to press charges. You allready have an idea about the amount of slander and bad talk has recieved from these people. They acted in a way that totally shows that they think it is ok to walk all over you as if you are not a person. I have heard of this happening over and over again.

They do not have the right to treat you like garbage just because they do not like you. The problem is that they think they own you.

More than likely they will possibly let you know that there was punishment in the congregation for what has happened. The apologies are proof of this. I think is important that you do not let this be your only satisfaction in the matter. Do not give their organization system that kind of respect, it doesn't deserve it. Those full grown men need to realize they can't walk all over those with whom they disagree with. It is not about anger, it is about giving proper due as regards to local law.

Would any other group of 30-40 years old do this to you? What other reason would full grown men go out and do such a stupid thing? They wanted to punish you. I say send a signal so that they never do it again. Don't let their own 'punishments' on each other effect your decision. They not only broke the law but also decided to try and intimidate you.

I just don't think its about 'being the better person'. A signal has to be sent that you should not be treated this way. You have the law on your side, I think it is a 'wise use of a provision from Jehovah'. :)

-drew

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I don't know where LL is so I'll say this....A POLICE REPORT WAS FILED!!! They (police) went over and spoke to the neighbor!!! LL wrote about it already....

The biggest problem that I see with taking this to court is PROVING INTENT. A judge will probably see it as vandalism and they will get a small fine and maybe some community service. LL and family do not want to come off looking like the bad guys here by pushing an agenda that a judge or court sees in a different light. I'm sure before they do anything they will consult with an attorney as they generally have an idea how this will play out.

Letting the media run with it however is an entirely different story!!!

Swalker

• rebel8
    rebel8

Thank you--I thought a report had been filed.

As far as I understand it--and legal beagles, correct me if I'm wrong--the idea of "pressing charges" is largely something Hollywood made up. You pretty much call the police, they decide whether or not a written report is warranted (if there is evidence a crime occurred), then the system takes it from there--you respond to subpoenas if served with one and cooperate in whatever way you are asked to. If that's correct, the wheels are already in motion.

I believe there is a program called Crime Victims Support or something like that, whereby a victim of a crime such as vandalism can receive compensation for any property damage. I think the perp has to pay them back if they're found guilty--another thing to help teach them a lesson about Caesar's justice.

Every yr in the US we are constantly reading stories at Christmastime about nativity statues being stolen or defaced. I would think the media would be interested in your Frosty attack--a twist on a story theme popular with readers. (And it would make a good story on fark.com too!)

PS--psssst, jws: Frosty is not a Christmas decoration. It is a snow man. Winter, not religious. You have no right to get your panties in a bundle about it. Jehoopla created snow, not the Pagans.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Lady L,

These are, as you said, grown men who should know better, not young kids.

I say make an example of them, and press charges. Apart from their being guilty of a misdemeanor, the bad publicity thet would ensue if the matter made the papers, wouldn't do the org much good either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit