How do you feel about Tatoos?

by Fisherman 213 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• daystar
    daystar
    I think both smoking and tats are even more popular amongst exJW's than the population at large.

This has not been my observation. I'd be hard-pressed to find a woman between the ages of 20 and 40 without some tattoo somewhere on her body, if only a little one on her ankle or shoulder.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    I think both smoking and tats are even more popular amongst exJW's than the population at large.

I have to disagree with that, too, only because I can't help but wonder how much close exposure to "wordly" people jw have in their lifetime. The general population doesn't give much, if any, condemnation to smoking and tatoos. It's just not a big deal. Some smoke, some don't. Some people have a tatoo or six, others have none. It's not something that is constantly talked about like at meetings, where we were mentally drilled with the impression that such minor aspects of life are despicable.

• daystar
    daystar

Oh, but Triton, that skit is hilarious!!

• codeblue
    codeblue

I think tattoos can be very kewl if done like a piece of art. NOdenial has one that is awesome!

I would like one, lower mid-back area (just above the bikini line) but I haven't found the one I want to LIVE with forever!!!

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Kitty,

Yes, they are. One that's been around for thousands and thousands of years.

Not in the Western World they have not - and that is exactly my point. Tatoos afficionados in the West have been limited to sailors and a tiny element of enthusiasts. The past decade or so tatoo parlors have sprung up in the thousands in cities round the world. This is clear evidence of a faddist inclination.

Has it ever occured to you that maybe people have always wanted tattoos, but because they were so looked down upon in society, they never dared to get one. I'm sure that's what a lot of people were saying when women started wearing pants...''Crazy fashion! It'll stop in a few years.'

Kitty, what you seem to be saying n essence is that people have followed the fashion of their peers once someone was brave enough to start the fashion. I could not agree more.

How can you say it's just a fashion craze when the Japanese have been doing it since around 297 AD. The Samoans were doing it when they were discovered back in the 1700's. And guess what....THEY'RE ALL STILL DOING IT!

This has no relevance to the fashion issue at all Kitty. Captain Cook, and Alexander Bell in particular bought engraved images of tatooed persons from the Pacific Islands, New Zealand and Van Diemens land in the 1790's. What we are discussing is what has happened the past decade or so, not 300 years agon the Pacific Islands. I can guarantee that if you bear a tatoo, you have done so, not from a stroke of spontaneous decorative genius, but from a fashion imperative - one that you yourself note above.

Personally it is of no concern to me who wear a tatoo or not, but for goodness sakes, show some honesty and admit that you are fashion victims, and that come what may, you are lumbered with your fashion choice for the rest of your life.

HS

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs
    show some honesty and admit that you are fashion victims, and that come what may, you are lumbered with your fashion choice for the rest of your life

No, I am not a ''fashion victim''. The only way I would consider someone who got a tattoo as a fashion victim is if it was done the night of a frat party after about 12 beers. The majority of tattoos are very well thought out and have a meaning behind them. Mine has a very deep meaning to it, not that I'd waste my time explaining it to someone who is as obviously close-minded as you...

This has no relevance to the fashion issue at all Kitty

On the contrary, it does. The Japanese adopted tattooing from other cultures thousands of years ago, and it is still practiced over in Japan. And the fact that most Americans are closeminded, it seems to just have taken a bit longer to gain acceptance over here.

People with closed minds should have clenched mouths.

~luv, jojo

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

I can understand where some are coming from when they say that recieving a modern tattoo is part of fashion.

1.a prevailing custom or style of dress, etiquette, socializing, etc.: the latest fashion in dresses .

in fact, there might be more people with tattoos out there than not.

But I think we should recognize the lines of demarcation inside the tattooed community.

Some people are out there sporting one or 2 tattoos, like Eagles, skulls or tribal designs.

Some people are committed to the art of tattoiing, and have better, more unique tattoos to show for it.

I don't think that the 19 year old college student with the heavy black strokes right above her butt deserves the same judgement as the guy who has laid on a table for over 100 hours to finish the scene tattooed on his back.

Now, I'm not going to come right out and say that I'm a fashion victim. I am tattooed, but none of my tattoos are visible at any normal time. I didn't get them for everyone else to see, I got them for myself.

I never tried to differeniate myself from the world with my tattoos. I never wanted to be different, I just wanted to be me.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

hopefully this one will format correctly;

I can understand where some are coming from when they say that recieving a modern tattoo is part of fashion.

But I think we should recognize the lines of demarcation inside the tattooed community.

Some people are out there sporting one or 2 tattoos, like Eagles, skulls or tribal designs.

Some people are committed to the art of tattoiing, and have better, more unique tattoos to show for it.

I don't think that the 19 year old college student with the heavy black strokes right above her butt deserves the same judgement as the guy who has laid on a table for over 100 hours to finish the scene tattooed on his back.

Now, I'm not going to come right out and say that I'm a fashion victim. I am tattooed, but none of my tattoos are visible at any normal time. I didn't get them for everyone else to see, I got them for myself.

I never tried to differeniate myself from the world with my tattoos. I never wanted to be different, I just wanted to be me.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

one more time...

hopefully this one will format correctly;

• R6Laser
    R6Laser

Of course tattoos are a fashion statement. People get them because that is what they feel represent them at that moment. So what's so wrong with making a statement? Nothing. People might judge them differently, as can be seen from some responses from this thread, but who are we to tell someone else what they can do or not do with their own body? If someone feels they want to cover their whole body in tatttoos, that's their decision. Labels are what stupid people make up to explain something they don't understand.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit