How do you feel about Tatoos?

by Fisherman 213 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

How is skin art any less of a valid personal expression than earrings, nail polish, hair dye, and make-up? All of which cause harm in some way, if only to the beholder.

Likewise, to the Godly persons here quibbling over someones right to such expression; what of the facial and body disfigurement thrust on a few by "Intelligent Design", God or nature?

Things such as Port Wine stain, birthmarks, Acne pockmarks and a host of skin disfiguring conditions that seem to be part of the package we humans have to live with?

Are you equally offended by those things too?

You miss the point entirely.

Which of the following can you change at will daily or eliminate entirely?

1.Earrings

2.Nail Polish

3.Hair Dye

4.Make up

5.Tatoos

See the point now? You've pulled a diversionary debate trick. You focus on the NON-essential characteristic of the argument : SELF-EXPRESSION. The thing which is the DISTINGUISHING characteristic of a tatoo is the PERMANENCY. See?

Now the secondary part of your misunderstanding; let's get to that too.

You compare birthmarks, pockmarks, bad skin conditions to tatoos. Let us ask another question, shall we?

Which of the following are actual CHOICES?

1.Tatoos

2.Birthmarks

3.Pockmarks

4.Bad skin conditions

Here again you fail to see the DISTINGUISHING element is CHOICE.

How can you so utterly fail to analyze the basis of objections to tatoos? I think it is either because you simply don't want to see the point, or; you haven't developed the ability to reason an argument from the eseential and fundamentals through to a logical conclusion.

My point? There are easy ways of using non-permanent (temporary) tatoos for self-expression just like ear-rings, make up and hairstyles. The non-permanent tatoo is just as artistic.

Final point. I see the whole tatoo question as a bit more psychological. What possible reason would a person have for doing something to themselves unnecessarily in the name of cosmetic self-expression which will stay with them the rest of their life? Why the permanency? I can only think it is the need to be noticed. Look at me, look at me, look at me.....look at me...look at me.....look at me......

• luna2
    luna2

How do I feel? Hmm. Well, for myself I feel like I don't want any. This is because I can't think of anything I want permanently drawn on my body. Plus, for a while, this was something of a fad for middle aged women...and I almost went along with it. That bothered me. People do stupid things when following the herd.

For other people? Fine with me. One friend designed something tasteful and meaningful to her and had it inked on her ankle...she loves it and probably always will...I think that's great. Another friend here at work got something similar...a shamrock on her ankle (ankle seem to be the spot of choice for a lot of us older gals). Again, she loves it. Terrific.

Do I think some folks get carried away? Definitely.

I had a couple of acquaintances who were bestest friends a few years ago. They decided to get matching tattoos to symbolize their deep and abiding friendship, a rosebud with the word Kaos in the stem (the rose for the one gal - her last name, and Kaos for the other - her nickname). Fortunately, the tatts were small and weren't so specific that they couldn't mean other things because about four months later they were no longer best friends....not even sure they are friends at all any more. Oops.

Another friend designed a two-inch tatt of a devil-girl. Very cute on paper. Not so cute when transfered to her thigh as it had to be enlarged to about 6" in order to get the detail in. Fortunately she was mostly okay with that. I'm sure I would have been pretty upset.

Or like the girl who came into the store last summer, her upper arms covered in skull tatts and her name across her chest. I wondered if she might regret the skulls and gravestones some day...and the permanent name tag on her chest was about the stupidest thing I'd ever seen. Guess it might come in handy when you're with people you don't know, though. If they forget your name, all they have to do is glance at yer boobs.

• Frank75
    Frank75
    You miss the point entirely.

I highly doubt that. However it is you that seems to be on a tangent. Your concern for what others do to their own bodies is hypocritical. Whether or not it is reversible is not relevant. You left the JW’s but kept the busy body feature and have made it part of your new religion.

Which of the following can you change at will daily or eliminate entirely?

1.Earrings 2.Nail Polish 3.Hair Dye 4.Make up 5.Tatoos
    Yes, all of those things I mentioned can be changed or put away on a daily basis.

Perhaps I should have used Ear Piercing instead of earrings or how about electrolysis? Splitting hairs here I am afraid, pardon the pun.

However there are cases of women choosing to have their makeup permanently "tattooed". There is a rational reason given, namely time savings or allergy/skin sensitivity to cosmetics. Professional women and others who are quite busy rationalize that tattooed lips, eyebrows, mascara and even blush, can save them weeks of preparation time over their life time to be better spent on other pursuits. Do you object to this as well? If so on what basis, the choice or the permanency?

Irrespective of what your narrow minded view is on the subject, others have posited here that the tattooed person is manifesting some flawed character, or that this is a manifestation of something psychological (as you state) that the person is hiding from.

The same can be said about Earrings, nail polish and makeup in general. For all intents and purposes those who employ these personal enhancements, rarely step outside without them. Invariably they are life long habits that never get put aside. I concede to your point that it could be put aside if the person grew out of them or decided these “enhancements” or “personal artistic expressions” were no longer necessary for psychological reason or just their self esteem.

Plastic surgery, electrolysis as well as ear piercing would have been a better example to use. So therefore how do you feel about these persons based on the same principles? Can you express your sentiments to these persons since you lack the ability to single them out from the visibly identifiable tattooed person?

You’ve just discovered why the term “visible minority” was coined.

Obviously plastic surgery whether done for practical or vanity reasons is as you say not easily changed on a daily basis or at will. (although some plastic surgery and tattoos can be removed at will). Even piercing the ear will leave a permanent scar on the ear or wherever a piercing was put.

See the point now? You've pulled a diversionary debate trick. You focus on the NON-essential characteristic of the argument : SELF-EXPRESSION. The thing which is the DISTINGUISHING characteristic of a tatoo is the PERMANENCY. See?

Ok so then there is electrolysis which is done for the same reasons of time mentioned above as well as aesthetics. Sure some women opt for this because they are embarrassingly hairy, however by far the majority who use it are doing it for simpler reasons. Would you be of the opinion that woman should wax or shave instead to avoid doing something they might regret later?

There! Now I have addressed the permanency issue.

Now the secondary part of your misunderstanding; let's get to that too.

You compare birthmarks, pockmarks, bad skin conditions to tatoos. Let us ask another question, shall we?

Which of the following are actual CHOICES?

1.Tatoos 2.Birthmarks 3.Pockmarks 4.Bad skin conditions

Here again you fail to see the DISTINGUISHING element is CHOICE.

How can you so utterly fail to analyze the basis of objections to tatoos? I think it is either because you simply don't want to see the point, or; you haven't developed the ability to reason an argument from the eseential and fundamentals through to a logical conclusion.

This is just not true; I have analyzed the objection to Tattoos. Abilities to express what amounts to prejudicial and intollerant viewpoints is nothing to be proud of my friend.

I believe anyone here can see plainly that it is people like you that have not fully analyzed it. When you see a person who is disfigured, you do not know what choices where made that affected the outcome. At least as far as a pockmarked face, what choices did the person make or fail to make to cause the current condition? Although facial scaring is not usually the persons fault, why can’t it be reckoned a character flaw not to correct the scarring through dermabrasion or other plastic surgical techniques?

Although these random marks were mentioned, they were mentioned only to show that, if there is a God who is involved intimately with his creation, he obviously "chooses" to allow these things to manifest themselves in his creation. That is a choice of sorts. Not of the individual but of the creator/maker. Who are we to challenge such a choice of his as well as the person who decides to make his own mark or even someone who only enhances the mark they were given. As you will find, many have actually tattooed over a birthmark to enhance natures random design with one that is more relevant.

My point? There are easy ways of using non-permanent (temporary) tatoos for self-expression just like ear-rings, make up and hairstyles. The non-permanent tatoo is just as artistic.
    You perhaps miss the point of why people make it permanent. Perhaps they are sufficiently dedicated to the reason or symbolism of the mark being made. Athletes know that their dedication to their sport will likely leave them scarred and disfigured in later life. Do you condemn a hockey or basketball player who “chose” to ignore a deteriorating knee joint knowing that he could opt for a disfiguring and permanent knee replacement?

Perhaps they do not see the practicality in either time or cost of henna tattoos over a permanent one. To them your solution is neither practical nor cost efficient.

Final point. I see the whole tatoo question as a bit more psychological. What possible reason would a person have for doing something to themselves unnecessarily in the name of cosmetic self-expression which will stay with them the rest of their life? Why the permanency? I can only think it is the need to be noticed. Look at me, look at me, look at me.....look at me...look at me.....look at me......

That last statement is ridiculous. While Neo Nazi’s and skin heads are applauding your sentiments, those who are rational thinkers are appalled as I am.

There is only one question that you need to answer. Namely why would someone else do something that you would not? That requires empathy, something to be more esteemed as an asset than logical debate fundamentals.

Statements such as “I see the WHOLE tattoo question as psychological” are presumptuous and judgmental at best. Seeking to pigeonhole people into your limited ability to think rationally. You show your classic prejudice by your inability to understand why someone would do this. Prejudice such as this is caused by ignorance and you are free to choose to remain ignorant. That is your loss. I would rather laugh with these sinners than cry with your saintly persona.

In the greater scheme those here who have tattoos and those of us who admire them don’t give a rats ass what you think about. You have certainly not shown any intelligent perspective here.

Frank75

• Terry
    Terry
    I highly doubt that. However it is you that seems to be on a tangent. Your concern for what others do to their own bodies is hypocritical. Whether or not it is reversible is not relevant. You left the JW’s but kept the busy body feature and have made it part of your new religion.

Uh hem, did I start this thread...or...did I RESPOND TO THE QUESTION ASKED?

You seem unable to focus.

However there are cases of women choosing to have their makeup permanently "tattooed". There is a rational reason given, namely time savings or allergy/skin sensitivity to cosmetics. Professional women and others who are quite busy rationalize that tattooed lips, eyebrows, mascara and even blush, can save them weeks of preparation time over their life time to be better spent on other pursuits. Do you object to this as well? If so on what basis, the choice or the permanency?

I don't care what people choose to do. I just responded to the topic question.

Irrespective of what your narrow minded view is on the subject, others have posited here that the tattooed person is manifesting some flawed character, or that this is a manifestation of something psychological (as you state) that the person is hiding from.

Quote me talking about a person's "flawed character". I seem to have missed that. Being neurotic has nothing to do with character.

Plastic surgery, electrolysis as well as ear piercing would have been a better example to use. So therefore how do you feel about these persons based on the same principles? Can you express your sentiments to these persons since you lack the ability to single them out from the visibly identifiable tattooed person?

Gee, you're getting all worked up over my tiny opinion. Makes me kind of wonder.......do you feel attacked?

Although these random marks were mentioned, they were mentioned only to show that, if there is a God who is involved intimately with his creation, he obviously "chooses" to allow these things to manifest themselves in his creation. That is a choice of sorts. Not of the individual but of the creator/maker. Who are we to challenge such a choice of his as well as the person who decides to make his own mark or even someone who only enhances the mark they were given. As you will find, many have actually tattooed over a birthmark to enhance natures random design with one that is more relevant.

Whew, what a mess. By your "logic" the fact God allows child molestation "he obviously chooses to allw these things to manifest themselves in his creation. Who are we to challenge such a choice of his....?"

You see, corkscrew thinking leads to corkscrew logic. You really should crack open a book on logical fallacies one quiet afternoon. It might do you a world of good.

While Neo Nazi’s and skin heads are applauding your sentiments, those who are rational thinkers are appalled as I am.

There is only one question that you need to answer. Namely why would someone else do something that you would not? That requires empathy, something to be more esteemed as an asset than logical debate fundamentals.

Sigh....tsk tsk tsk. Neo Nazi's and skinheads advocate hate, violence and pathology. That is the essential identifier. You miss that entirely. In your myopic analysis the essential identifier is "differing opinion to others." Have you had any head trauma? How can you make such an exotic leap?

Since your favorite pastime is context dropping I have to help you out here. First, my response was sought in the question attached to this Topic? You DO understand that, right? What you are actually doing is trying to deny me and others the right to disagree by labeling us with hateful speech while propping yourself up as a compassionate person. Ever hear of self-delusion?

In the greater scheme those here who have tattoos and those of us who admire them don’t give a rats ass what you think about. You have certainly not shown any intelligent perspective here.

Frank75

Oh, you CARE allright. You really truly, madly, deeply care enough to get into a blathering snit about it. But, you fool yourself. You don't fool me.

I and others don't need your approval to express our opinion when you disagree. You need to lighten up and examine your own psychology. You sound like a very angry person. Take some deep breaths and try some refreshing self-analysis.

Opinions can't ever be wrong. Don't you understand that? Opinions are subjective responses. Mine was given because the topic (above) asked me to give it. You just couldn't handle it.

Ask yourself why.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

ha ha ha! terry's an anti tat lobby group all unto himself! .... man it cracks me up how seriously you take everything. well, i guess life is SERIOUS business. ha ha!

tetra

• Terry
    Terry

ha ha ha! terry's an anti tat lobby group all unto himself! .... man it cracks me up how seriously you take everything. well, i guess life is SERIOUS business. ha ha!

tetra

I may be the least serious person on this planet. I'm frequently told by my friends and co-workers that I don't seem to have a serious bone in my body. I'm light-hearted and like to laugh.

In print, and; especially here on JWD I present my rational side which is often in response to something irrational (as I perceive it.) I don't like to be misrepresented. I do defend my point of view against knuckle-draggers who create strawman nonsense and put it in my mouth.

That's about the only time, though, when I even SEEM serious.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

well darn terry! tell me more about yourself!

• Terry
    Terry
    well darn terry! tell me more about yourself!

What a lovely subject!

I am an incessant punster. I crack jokes all day long. I kid people mercilessly. I'm like the new puppy which seems cute for a few minutes and then becomes problematic. Strangers warm to me because I'm very friendly to them. People who have only known me a short while tend to want to give me gifts for some reason.

I was very shy growing up. But, I watched truly friendly people and studied how they did what they did. I practised until it was natural. I now "seem" very outgoing. Inside, I'm still the shy kid.

My most huge character flaw is something I've finally begun to repair at last. When I hear somebody (in person and outside of a DISCUSSION FORUM) make a statement which is wrong, or, who corrects me erroneously; I don't try and get into an argument. I just let it pass. I never use to do that. I'd escalate. Now, at last, I'm learning humility.

And example:

Yesterday in the bookstore where I work a lady customer asked me a direct question.
    "Sir, could you tell me why some of these bibles have the Apocrypha in them and others don't?"

I replied as evenly as possible: "Historically, depending on which group, or council was voting on a particular book there might be disagreements. Sometimes the vote went one way and sometimes it went the other way. Nobody can truly say for certain which bible books are authentic. The books which contain the so-called Apocrypha are willing to err on the side of possibility rather than dogmatic assertion."
    Immediately a tight-ass white-collar guy standing nearby spoke up heatedly:"Sir, I overheard what you just said and I couldn't disagree more!"

I just smiled and ignore him while he preached to the lady for about fifteen minutes.

Sigh.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

well, how lovely terry! and long walks on the beach?

and you know, this caught me as odd too:

But, I watched truly friendly people and studied how they did what they did.

you had to practice being friendly? or practice being outgoing? or, outgoing in a friendly way, as opposed to an unfriendly way...

i like how you make exceptions for discussion boards. well, more i just find it interesting.

tetra

• Terry
    Terry
    well, how lovely terry! and long walks on the beach?

Huh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit