Anyone Know About The PA Convention?

by Sunspot 121 Replies latest jw friends

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Lovesmenot here:

I have gone to the WNFJ convention four times. I have never experienced so many emotions in a 48 hour period in my life. It was so wonderful and it was what I needed at those times in my life. The Blue Mountains in October are breathtaking. It's Pennsylvania Dutch country and the hillsides are full of old farms, horses, gorgeous old churches, ancient cemetaries, lakes, and peace...God's country. The atmosphere at the retreat is loving and accepting and I met so many folks that I had talked to online all these years and that alone made the trip worthwhile. We ate like pigs too if I recall...the food is fabulous! One of my favorite parts is the introduction where everybody gets to stand and introduce themselves and tell us about their experiences...yes it takes a few hours but ohmygod...you laugh you cry you jump for joy when you realize that person is someone you KNOW or..that you arent alone in all your JW caused pain.

You sing without anyone staring at you, you talk and question and laugh like you never had the opportunity to as a JW...and you can come and go as you please. Take a walk in the woods, have a camp fire and gather together...or go up to the beautiful little prayer chapel up in the woods and talk to God in peace. Nobody pressures you to do ANYTHING. I watched people break their shackles with the WT there. Take their very first communion there after being told all their lives that they were not good enough to accept it. To finally accept Christ as their savior without anyone mocking or chastising them and without having to swear allegiance to a cult to get Him. To weep openly from joy and relief and not be told that they are weak and not worthy of God. It moved me. Ive never experienced anything like it before or after.

If you go in with the attitude that people are "just whining" then that is what you hear...if you go thinking that people are finally in a place where they can vent and talk to others who UNDERSTAND then you are filled with compassion and embrace them because you have been there too and what they really need is for someone to please just understand and to give them hope that its ok outside the borg. They want to be able to get mad without being rejected. They want to cry over losing their families...they want to unload their burdens if only for a couple of days. And have someone pray with them and for them.

I learned a lot...tons in fact...I miss so much going there but my circumstances dont allow it any more. But I think of it every year and they send me the brochure every year...and I think about you guys up there every year. So go and bring me with you! Im sure Gracie and I have met. :)

Love, Dawn

• mouthy
    mouthy

One of these years I'll get, preferably before Grace pops her clogs Little Toe said this

Well you ruddy well better hurry up Mate....Cos I am planning to go in 07- since I dont have clogs I have a bucket at the bottom of the bed

LoveDubs ----You expressed my veiws entirely..Can you remember the years you were there ??I gave my testimony in 1990---- I do wish you could make it.... It is the time I live for & look forward to all my life ((((HUGS))))

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

pictures of PA. (I hope!)

I have pictures posted at Kodak.com...how do I link here?

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=433mnpy

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    I would LOVE to meet you and Annie. [waves to Annie] Hi, Annie!

Hi Sweetie---I wish you could be there!!!

RR,

Some folks aren't born with or even hope to develop empathy for others as they go through life. If they, or YOU, don't understand it----there is no way to explain it. I sure hope you don't work in an Emergency Room or are in some kind of Health Care Dept, an EMT, etc......

I remember Golden Girl, and sure hope I can be down in PA in time to hear her speak. I found out this morning that we won't be getting there until Saturday afternoon.....I hope this plan changes! (Look at ME!----only an invited guest and I wanna make plan changes already---my bad!)

When I very first left the WTS and had joined a exJW Ladies group online....I had heard about this convention, in fact, I was invited back then but had a handicapped child that needed constant care and attention and had no one I could call on for respite care.....(did I already mention that--it seems as if I have)....so I wasn't able to go.

I have heard ONLY good and upbeat things about the whole experience! I have heard NOTHING from anyone in seven years, that even remotely sounded negative or passed along the feelings that the conventioners were miserable and whiney acting! NOBODY had said they were sorry they went and would never go again.....BUT---ya KNOW ya can't please EVERYONE and from what I hear---the great majority seem to be quite happy to be there and enjoy IT and themselves...immensely.

Mouthy....you have a PM!

hugs,

Annie

• LovesDubs
  • LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Mouthy, I was there 97-2000 :) Gees...was it that long ago already??

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Thanks, Loves!

It looks lovely!

Hubby asked me this morning---before I called the lady who I'm supposed to be going to PA with---

so....

lessee here....

....you're being picked up bag and baggage,

with someone you've only met once at our son's cookout,

and traveling to the mountains where you've never been,

to be with people you've never met.....

...are you SURE you wanna GO?

(It DOES sound pretty weird when ya put it that way---doesn't it?????)

I just said...yep---that's the plan! Hahaha!

hugs,

Annie

• mouthy
    mouthy

Well we must have seen each other I have been there those years & every year since 87

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Are there restaurants nearby the convention Hall?

Are they "fast food" places or regular restaurants?

Are things/meals expensive?

How much money should I (roughly) plan on bringing to cover expenses?

What can anyone tell me about what to expect and how to plan things?

• mouthy
    mouthy

I never saw a grave yard...???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit