great guitarist....guitar solos...and performances

by purplesofa 216 Replies latest social entertainment

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I really love their version of "Summer Breeze".

Ernie Isley playing down at BB's
    Ernie Isley at the Guitar Masters One of the longest running acts in Rock and Roll history, The Isley Brothers have been around, in one form or another, for about a half century. A surprise guest at the recent Guitar Masters, Ernie has been playing around town, and STLBlues caught his act at BB's. Ernie spent a few minutes with STLBlues recently, here's his story!

STLBlues: Where are you from?

Ernie: I was born in Lincoln Heights (Cincinatti, Ohio) in 1952 into a musical family, the 5th of 6 boys

STLBlues: When did you begin performing?

Ernie: My first performances were in church

STLBlues: Tell us a little about your musical history

Ernie: My father died one week before release of "Shout", one of our of our first hits, but he was watching from a cloud. Jimi Hendix - we bought him his 1st Stratocaster, and he did his first recording with the Isley Bros, "Testify 1 & 2". He was with the band from 1963-1965, and lived at our house, before the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival. I bought my 1st guitar in 1968. On the 1969 Issue of Fame, I played bass. On the 3 by 3 album "Whos that lady", our 1972 hit. Stevie Wonder recorded by day, and the Isleys recorded by night. When Paul McCartney was interviewed for his latest tour, he said "the Isley Bros are the musical connoisseurs"!
    STLBLues: What are some memorable music moments you've had?
    Ernie: One that stands out was in 1992, when the Isley Bros. were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Little Richard made our intro speech! Yahn Warner - Editor of Rolling Stone magazine - was one of the speakers, and said 'The Isley Brothers have enjoyed a long and successful career, with Shout in 1959, and Twist & Shout in 1962, more than enough to get them into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame! No Billboard Artist has been on the charts more since the 50's".

When we were going to visit the Rock and Roll museum, I called ahead and said "we have a show in town tonight, and we'd like to come by and see the museum. I spoke to a woman, Sharon, and she excitedly said "when will you by"? I said "in 10 mins". Sharon said "can you give me 15"? When we arrived, she gave us a personally guided tour, it was great!
    Ernie Isley at BB's
    Ernie Isley
    Beatle Bob's 'Twist & Shout'
    Beatle Bob's
    'Twist & Shout'
    Great sounds down at BB's
    Great sounds
    down at BB's
    Billy Barnett
    Billy Barnett
    Bob Lohr
    Bob Lohr

STLBlues: We were witness to your performance at the 2002 Guitar Masters concert, a St. Louis Blues Society event (see top picture) . Will you be playing around town often?
    Ernie: I love the playing, without the confines of a format - John May of the Blues Society has lined me up to play a bit around town, at BB's & Fazios.

STLBlues: What are your plans for the future?

Ernie: We have a CD coming out in March, I'll be out touring behind the CD. Our music is the most sampled by the hiphop/MTV generation, Notorious Mr. Big, and more.
    STLBlues: We noticed your guitar seems very unique. Tells us a little bit about it!

Ernie: Zeal is my custom stratocastor, and has seven hand-carved roses on the body, and two white doves at the 12th fret, with a hummingbird in abalone. Matter of fact, Zeal is Miss January in the Fender custom guitar calender. I'm hoping for a possible signature series with Fender!

STLBlues: Ernie, thanks for taking a few minutes to talk to us, and we wish you continued success!

Ernie: You're welcome!
    Kevin Johnson's STLToday article "Ernie Isley's doing the Town!"

Ernie Isley, he helped to get Jimi Hendrix started.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Purple,

If you have not got 2hrs to spare watching the PFM video, move the slider bar to 1hr 37 minutes, here Franco does the solo 'Alta Loma Alta' from the 70's 'Cook' album.

HS

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Johnny "Guitar" Watson. I love the song "I don't want to be like the Lone Ranger".

An excellent retrospective was released in 2005, called 'The Funk Anthology'.

http://www.soulwalking.co.uk/Johnny%20Guitar%20Watson.html

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Ok, this is my last one!

Chuck Berry

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Emerson Lake and Palmer............From the Beginning

I like the laid back guitar piece in it.

I am still working on getting all this guitar stuff together..........I cannot thank everyone enough for their suggestions and input. A new world has been opened up!!!!

Oh I can't imagine being deaf.

purps

• Dave_T
    Dave_T

I think nobody mentioned John Frusciante (guitar) and Flea (bass guitar) in the Red Hot Chili Peppers. These guys are amazing.

• Twitch
    Twitch
    I think nobody mentioned John Frusciante (guitar) and Flea (bass guitar) in the Red Hot Chili Peppers. These guys are amazing.

Agreed

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    Monte Montgomery http://montemontgomery.com/

And check out this guy. Guitar Player magazine voted him the best guitarist you've never heard of. Saw him at the House of Blues in Boston-amazing!!! He does things with an acoustic that'll blow you away.

onesong.......

I agree.......he is great........Just got his stuff and listening to him now......thanks for the recommendation!!!

purps

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i play guitar but i wouldnt call myself a guitarist (in much the same way as i play golf but...)

i have no interest in players who can fly round the fretboard...about as interesting as a drum solo

so my preference is for melodic guitar solos

my favourite players therefore are those that played guitar within bands that wrote great songs...steve howe, steve rothery, steve hackett, mike rutherford, daryl stuermer, brian may, the edge, sting, david gilmour

top 5 guitar solos

firth of fifth - genesis

comfortably numb - pink floyd

i was only joking - rod stewart

goodbye to love - the carpenters

the year of the cat - al stewart

(from out of the arch - the irony...ok thats 6)

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    PFM are still going strong. In fact here is a google video of a recent performance in Japan http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-3163649464730367368&q=PFM

Hillary Step,

This is a great concert. Thanks for the turn on.....

I hope that others have been able to get some of these great suggestions and check them out.

I have been able to get most of everything that all have suggested.........but I am still working on it.

6,700 downloads.......and now putting it all on external hard drive.....so if anyone can't find something give me a shout.

Again..........PFM .........awesome!!!!! Great listening after stressful day at work.

purps

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit