great guitarist....guitar solos...and performances

by purplesofa 216 Replies latest social entertainment

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I am collecting guitar musicians.......their music. ASIDE from the obvious......Hendrix, SRV etc etc.

I am collecting great perfomances.....rare ones of musicians that would not otherwise be together......

I wold love your input.........and would share music with those interested. Bangos.....fiddle players......you get the idea.

purps

this is what I have as far as artist. This is just part of it........some of these artrist have been on the stage together and I have recordings. If you have certain favorite recordings.......I would so appreciate it.

1. Joe Bonamassa

2. Steve Vai

3. Joe Satriani

4. Carlos Santana

5. Taj Mahal

6. Robert Cray

7. Snowy White

8. Ralph Towner

9. Yngwie Malmsteen

10. Jeff Beck

11. Mark Knopfler

12. Billy Grogan

13. Dave Matthews

14. Steve Morse

15.Ricardo Silveira

16.Vlatko Stefanski

17. SRV

18. Clapton

19. Doyle Braham II

20 Ben Fleck & Boyd Tinsley

21. Lucia Micarelli

ok......last one

LOL............Leon Redbone

There are tons out there...........I really want particularly good, favorite, rare appearances.........Am I repeating myself.........

it will be fun and I promise it will not be in vain. ps I know some of these are very obvious.

• Genesis
    Genesis

On the spot I think to

Steve Howe from Yes

Steve Hackett from Genesis

Jimmy Page fro Led Zeppelin

David Gilmour from Pink Floyd
    Kirk Hammet from Mettalica
    Joe Petruci from Megadeth

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    David Gilmour from Pink Floyd

yeah............his new cd..........ON an Island is great...........how did i forget him.........thanks...........

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

You have to add Mike Campbell from Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers.

(The solo that ends Running Down a Dream is genius... one of my all-time favorites)

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

A few of my favorites:

Duane Allman and Dicky Betts on the song Statesboro Blues - fabulous

Billy Gibbons on the ZZ Top tune La Grange - classic!

Kirk Hammett on the song Damage Inc. - blazingly fast, superb - from before the Big Sellout Mick Mars solo on the Crue song Looks That Kill - Metal Perfection

Zakk Wylde on the Ozzy song No More Tears - biggest baddest Gibson/Marshall sound ever recorded

Jake E. Lee on the Ozzy song Bark at the Moon - More metal perfection

Ritchie Blackmore's solo on Smoke on the Water - pay attention next time, it's really quite brilliant, but you've heard it so many times you forget how good it is

Jennifer Turner's intro and middle solos on the Natalie Merchant song Carnival - some of the most expressive playing I've ever heard.

Steve Stevens on Billy Idol's Rebel Yell

Angus Young on the song Back in Black - I know, i know - you've heard it a million times, but Angus's playing on that song is brilliant

Joe Satriani on Rubina, Satch Boogie, Crushing Day, Why? The Extremist, Cool #9, Ceremony, Searching, Redshift Riders, many many others

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Four to add to your collection as 'musts'.

Alan Holdsworth - Listen to his performance in the early 'Tempest' recordings, and especially on the Soft Machine 'Bundles' recording. Breathtaking, even after a thousand listens.

Franco Mussida - Guitarist with PFM, an Italian progressive/rock band. His 1975 live recording from the 'Cook' album entitled 'Alta Loma Alta' is, what can I say, breathtaking even after a thousand listens.

John Abercrombie - Anything by this genius is well worth the listening effort.

Terry Smith - Terry is a seasoned Jazz guitarist since the early 60's and tried his hand at a rock/jazz combo in the late 60's. The band was named 'IF'. He revolutionized the use of the Gibson jazz guitar in a rock venue, and imho laid down some guitar on the recordings IF1', and 'IF2' that have never been equalled in this genre.

Good luck - HS

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Heaps...........this is just what I wanted......KEEP 'EM COMING!!!!!

purps

working on it now!!!

• Genesis
    Genesis

Allan Holdsworth, good one,hes a genius !

I would add John Mccaughlin

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

leoleaiaiaiaeoea (sp)

(The solo that ends Running Down a Dream is genius... one of my all-time favorites

downloading this now.........thanks

• TMS
    TMS

purplesofa,

We first heard Buddy Guy on the banks of Arkansas River at Little Rock in 1991. I now realize what a great performance that was. Joe Satriani and John Mayall preceded Buddy. It was dark by the time the headliner came on stage. This powerful man in overalls and white t-shirt with gleaming white teeth came on stage and burst into "Damn Right I've Got the Blues." We've been Buddy Guy fans ever since.

An obscure performer we saw first at Memphis in May and later at Juanita's in Little Rock was Clarence Gatemouth Brown. Here is the link: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/22320/1.ashx

Also, Johnny Winter occasionally plays at Juanita's.

tms

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit