great guitarist....guitar solos...and performances

by purplesofa 216 Replies latest social entertainment

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Glen Campbell - he's awesome!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Glen Campbell - he's awesome!

I love his 60's music. I was in the Corner Record Shop today, looking through the 45's and saw several of his singles like Wichita Lineman, etc. I wanted to buy them so badly, but my budget was too tight.

• Twitch
    Twitch

"Machine Gun" - Jimi Hendrix, Band of Gypsys (ya gotta burn one down for this solo ;-)
    "Tripping Billies" - Dave Matthews with Tim Reynolds (live version kicks)
    "Flake" - Jack Johnson with Ben Harper (nice outro jam)
    "Maggies Farm" - Rage Against the Machine (the most obscene funking groove)
    "Shakin' All Over" - The Sensational Alex Harvey Band (delay pedal freak)
    "Blue Eyed Devil" - Soul Coughing (guitars from mars)

• onesong
    onesong

I have to voice my support for John Mayer as well.

Don't forget Gary Moore (Still Got The Blues)

Monte Montgomery http://montemontgomery.com/

And check out this guy. Guitar Player magazine voted him the best guitarist you've never heard of. Saw him at the House of Blues in Boston-amazing!!! He does things with an acoustic that'll blow you away.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Ok, this guy sounds like three or four people while he's playing. His name is Tommy Emmanuel. I've seen him in concert three times at the local brewery when he comes to town. (They have a wonderful little dinner stage setup.) You would do well to see him if you can. His CD's are very nice.

http://www.tommyemmanuel.com/home.asp

This site is very complete. See what you think. He met, played and recorded with Chet Atkins in years past. I think he's in his early forties.

I will never miss his shows.

W.Once

• freedom96
    freedom96

Laurence Juber - Lead guitarist for Paul McCartney and the Wings. Fantastic acoustic player, seen and met him a few times.

Tommy Shaw - Styx

John Petrucci - Dream Theater..............Anything

Nuno Bettancourt - Extreme.......Anything

Paul Gilbert - Mr. Big......Addicted To That Rush

Eric Johnson...............Anything

Robin Trower

Kim Mitchell - Max Webster................A Canadian band, this guy is fast and clean

Brad Paisley................A country guitarest but this guy can play, he's ultra fast and clean when he wants to be.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Flying,

I love his 60's music. I was in the Corner Record Shop today, looking through the 45's and saw several of his singles like Wichita Lineman, etc. I wanted to buy them so badly, but my budget was too tight.

Glen Campbell started his career as a session guitarist. I have a 1960 recording on which he plays and he is a *very* good guitarist. All his major hits ( Wichita Lineman, By the Time I Get To Pheonix etc. etc. ) were written by the phenomenal Jimmy Webb who was Atlantic Records in house writer. They shortlisted two lyricists for the job Jimmy Webb & Danny O'Keefe ( imho one of the most underrated songwriters the past three decades ). Both these lyricists recorded out of Johnny Mercer's studio, in which O'Keefe produced 'American Roulette', recorded in the late 70's and sadly unavailable. This record contains some of the best songwriting that I have ever heard. At least five tracks are classics. I can burn you a copy from vinyl if you wish.

If you go to this link and scroll down to 'Pheonix', you can hear Jimmy Webb playing live. http://www.jimmywebb.com/archives.html

Purple,

I am glad that you are enjoying 'IF' and Franco Mussida. Yes, the flautist is Dick Morrissey who died a couple of years ago. He made Ian Anderson, Halligan and his ilk look like amateurs did he not?

PFM are still going strong. In fact here is a google video of a recent performance in Japan http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-3163649464730367368&q=PFM If you want to spend a very useful half-hour this morning - watch it! Another guitarist worth hunting down is John Etheridge who replaced Alan Holdsworth on lead guitar with "Soft Machine'. A very accomplished guitarists and by now means living in Holdsworth's shadow.

HS
    PS - apologies for formatting issues
  • undercover
    undercover

Someone finally mentioned Neil Young

He usually gets overlooked when talking about great guitarists..but if you listen to his stuff with Crazy Horse, it's apparent he's a master.

Anyone ever seen Junior Brown and that weird guitar he plays? Add him to the list.

• Beachbender
    Beachbender

not sure if these were mentioned: Pete Townsend, Peter Frampton, Adrian VanDenberg (sp.?), DimeBag Darrell, Mark Tremoni, Neil Schon, Lenny Kravitz, George Lynch

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit