great guitarist....guitar solos...and performances

by purplesofa 216 Replies latest social entertainment

• Genesis
    Genesis

Also :

B.B. King
    Eric Johnson
    Robert Johnson (not that he was a speed demon but he was the guy who pratically invented the blues)
    Johny Greenwood (radiohead)
    Paco Delucia (flamenco)
    Al Dimeola (flamenco)

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug
    Buddy Guy

Ah- you beat me to it.

So the same with BB King with Sweet Lucille

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

TMS...........you have a message from me...........!!!! I have been to Juanitas..........saw John Kilzer there........ Eric Johnson will be there Aug 17........are ya going? purps

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

okay four more -

Davy Graham - Davy Graham is *the* father of the modern baroque style in folk guitar, inspiring such genius as Bert Jansch, John Renbourn and myself. If you can track down the recording 'Large As Life And twice As Natural', you will be stunned at the intensity of his playing. Imho, 'Tristano' is one of the best Blues playout pieces I have ever heard.

Pye Hastings - Though an excellent electric guitarist, I have always been especially impressed with his acoustic work. The later issues of the classics from his earlier writing, 'For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night', which he renders in acoustic guitar, have to be heard before ones funeral. A pillar of the 60's Canterbury progressive rock scene, his work will never die.

Clive Gregson - An exceptional guitarist/singer/songwriter. His last CD was peppered with the most inspiring guitar solos played on an $80.00 Chinese guitar! Clive lives in Nashville but is an English folk/rock guitarist and is normally heard in the folk clubs in the UK. He does tour the US occasionally, normally the Wst Coast. Hear him if you can.

Richard Thompson - Streuth but this man can play. Voted by Rolling Stone as oen of the 20 best guitarists of all time. For the Canadian element, Richard is playing in Calgary and Edmonton at the beginning of July. If you miss him, you deserve all you get.

HS

• TMS
    TMS

purplesofa,

A little too far! LOL! We saw Eric Johnson, Buddy Guy and B.B. King together once in Memphis. What a mixed crowd! All the young people were asking "Who's Buddy Guy?" and the old folks were going "Eric Johnson?" After Eric and Buddy played and as B.B was making the stage, several armed Memphis police came into the audience. An older black lady next to us shouted out: "B.B, what's all this? No one wants your 300lb ass!"

tms

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

B.B, what's all this? No one wants your 300lb ass!"

purps

Im looking forward to seeing Eric Johnson.........should be a good night!!!!

HS.......do you mean this Terry Smith?

Songwriter With A Different Touch

Terry Smith, who was voted by the Traditional Music Association as its Songwriter of the Year in both 1995 and 1996, wrote "Far-Side Banks of Jordan," which is featured twice in Robert Duvall's movie, The Apostle, and is included on the film's soundtrack CD. June Carter Cash, who plays Duvall's mother, sings the song at the close of the opening scene, and later in the film, when she dies, an instrumental version provides background music. The song was also recorded by the Cox Family and Alison Krauss on their l995 Grammy-winning project, I Know Who Holds Tomorrow. Johnny and June Cash cut the first version of this song in the seventies, and June also recorded it with Mother Maybelle and her sisters as part of a Carter Family album. In fact, it is the Carter Family version that is used on The Apostle CD. The song, fast becoming a gospel and bluegrass standard, has also been recorded by several other artists. Anyone who hopes to keep loving someone beyond this mortal life can relate to this song.

Terry also wrote one of Roy Acuff's last singles, "I Can't Find a Train," and the Oak Ridge Boys recorded his rousing gospel number, "Lord, I've Been Ready for Years." Kitty Wells cut "It Doesn't Say," a song of Terry's whose lyrics narrates all that cannot be fitted into a tombstone's inscription. Terry's "Ten Seconds in the Saddle" is in the Billboard chart book; recorded by rodeo champ Chris LeDoux, it received airplay in markets as far apart as Wyoming and Germany. There have been dozens of other Terry Smith songs cut, turning up on records by acts as diverse as Bluegrass Brigade, the Lewis Family, Lonnie Lynne LaCour, Elayne Otterson, the Singing Echoes, and Smoky Dawson-Australia's equivalent to Roy Rogers.

A traditional country singer in his own right, Terry has released three albums of original material to date. His first was a country gospel project, Look at My Hands, which features his version of "Far-Side Banks of Jordan." He followed that with A Double Dose of Country, a collection of country selections including his ever-popular "The Little Brown Dog and the Little Green Frog." His most recent recording project is Quilt of Memories, a concept project filled with nostalgic songs about the past. As a singer, Terry has steadily built a following over the years in Europe, Australia, and New Zealand, where his recordings of his own songs are played regularly. When more traditional country radio stations in the US began to air Quilt of Memories, that following began to spread to areas where his music was being programmed.

For several years, Terry-who was born in Cordell, Oklahoma, and reared in Denton, Texas-taught English and sometimes coached baseball as well in public school systems in Texas and Tennessee. The classroom's gain, however, was not country music's loss. All those blackboards perhaps imposed on Terry a precision and care with words that made up for all those hours grading papers.

Many a "full-time" songwriter has a smaller catalog than Terry Smith, whose file cabinet holds almost two thousand songs-"the good, the bad, and the ugly" as Terry sums them all up. The songwriting method he has used over the years has probably assured that all three kinds were written-and his formula might give pause to those would-be bards waiting for "inspiration" to strike, while they order another beer and try to think of words to write on a paper napkin. While teaching, Terry wrote one song each Saturday. Over the years, his subconscious obediently trained itself to hold back, if possible, during the week, then break out on Saturday. Now that his days in the classroom are behind him, Terry plans to spend even more time writing, performing, and promoting his own recordings.

Terry has written songs for a wide range of audiences, and some he admits were written solely for himself. He says without exaggeration, "I've pitched songs to everyone from the country artists of the day to the Texas Rangers and Captain Kangaroo." Terry has been around for a while and hopes to be for a long time to come. He is proud to be a writer and singer of traditional country music, and he will definitely give you a "double dose of country" anytime you let him!

--Steve Eng, author of A Satisfied Mind, a biography of Porter Wagoner

somehow don't think this is the same one.........but cant find anything else at the moment.

• bonnzo
    bonnzo

purplesofa: just a few monor corrections: doyle bramhall ( not braham) and bela fleck (not ben)

genesis: john petrucci plays with dream theater, not megadeth.

now to add to your list: warren haynes (gov't mule, allman brothers); derek trucks (derek trucks band, allman brothers); stanley jordan, jimmy herring (jazz is dead, project z), john scofield; robin trower

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    purplesofa: just a few monor corrections: doyle bramhall ( not breham) and bela fleck (not ben)

thanks.........was trying to type too fast..............sorry

• hillary_step
  • bonnzo
    bonnzo

another note: just saw tom petty at bonnaroo music festival in tennessee.....wow. also will see johnny winter in 2 weeks and cant wait.

add to my list: any of thin lizzy's 3 guitarists, gary moore, brian robertson and scott gorham.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit