Wife has vowed to remain JW

by kairos 118 Replies latest members private

• johnamos
    johnamos

Honey, I know the WTS teaches that the 70 years in Jeremiah (25:12) run from 607-537, but I am conflicted because of the WTS also teaches that Jehovah called Babylon to account in 539.

[8-1-81 WT- “The idol-worshiping Babylonians now were in line for God’s judgment to be executed upon them. That happened in 539 B.C.E. when Babylon was overthrown by the Medes and the Persians.”]
    [DP ch7 p.108- “The Great Timekeeper, Jehovah, had numbered the days of Babylon’s reign as a world power, and the end was closer than anyone at Belshazzar’s banquet thought. In fact, time had run out—not only for Belshazzar but also for his father, Nabonidus.”]
    [9-15-98 WT- “The Medes and the Persians easily took the city, and Belshazzar did not live through the night. With his death, and the apparent surrender of Nabonidus to Cyrus, the Neo-Babylonian Empire came to an end.”]
    [Revelation Climax p.206 - Well, what resulted in 539 B.C.E. when ancient Babylon fell? Why, Israel was freed to return to its homeland and restore true worship there!]

That being said, since Jehovah said that he was going to call Babylon to account when the 70 years have been fulfilled, then that would make 539 the 70th year, which would mean that 609 is when they began, Right? 

But if it is said that 537 is the 70th year and it is said that 539 is the year Jehovah called Babylon to account, then that would mean that Jehovah called Babylon to account in the 68th year, Right?

Surely Jehovah would not jump ahead of his own timetable, Right?

[9-15-65 WT p.566 “JEHOVAH GOD is an accurate timekeeper. He sets the times for events in the carrying out of his purposes, and sees to it that they take place exactly on time”]

Anyway, that’s one of the things that I am conflicted about, but let’s just forget about anything that I have said and let me just ask you.

Here’s the scripture in question:

[Jeremiah 25:12 “‘And it must occur that when seventy years have been fulfilled I shall call to account against the king of Babylon and against that nation,’ is the utterance of Jehovah,]

When did Jehovah say he was going to call to account Babylon???

When did Jehovah call to account Babylon???

Are the 70 years 607-537 or 609-539???

[6-1-86 WT- To acquire a complete heart, we must be prepared emotionally to set aside preconceived opinions, willing to let God be found true even if it does demolish some of our pet ideas or cherished doctrinal views. (Romans 3:4)]

[12-1-00 WT- Whatever authority people may arrogate to themselves, you do not have to accept their conclusions if they contradict God, ignore his Word, and violate common sense. In the final analysis, the wise course is always to “let God be found true, though every man be found a liar.” —Romans 3:4.]
    [11-1-11 Awake- A fundamental requirement for faith is “an accurate knowledge of truth.” (1 Timothy 2:4) Only “the truth,” says the Bible, “will set you free,” free from misleading beliefs, whether they are scientific or religious. (John 8:32) The Bible warns you not to put faith “in every word.” (Proverbs 14:15) Rather, it says that you should “make sure of all things”—or test out the things you hear before believing them. (1 Thessalonians 5:21) Why should you do research and test out your beliefs? Because faith based on falsehood is only a delusion. Some noble-minded people from the ancient city of Beroea set a fine example in acquiring proper faith. Even though these individuals really wanted to believe what Christian missionaries taught them, they made a point of “carefully examining the Scriptures daily as to whether these things were so.”—Acts 17:11.
    What, though, if what you learn seems to contradict some of your deeply held beliefs? Should you just ignore it? Of course not. There may well be times when it is eminently reasonable to consider powerful evidence that appears to contradict what you believe. In the Bible, God promises to reward sincere individuals who search for truth by granting them knowledge, discernment, and thinking ability.—Proverbs 2:1-12.
    The kind of faith built on what the Bible teaches is compatible with reason. What kind of faith do you have? Many people have “inherited” their religious beliefs and have never seriously examined them in the light of reason. Yet, it is not a sign of disrespect to examine what you believe so as to ‘prove to yourself’ that your thinking is in harmony with God’s Word. (Romans 12:2) The Bible admonishes us to “test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God.” (1 John 4:1)]
  • kairos
    kairos

Thanks for the comments.

We were on an 8 hour road trip yesterday and I was spewing forth unwelcome commentary for about 5 of those hours.

That didn't go over so well...

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Kairos-I really encourage you to not bring it up and when she does, say that you would rather speak of something that is more pleasant. Like death and taxes::) JK, just suggest that you agree to disagree and that you would love to find some common ground so that you can have nicer road trips during the holidays:) Talk about the music of your youth, your vacation plans, house maintenance or play "I see something. . . "  

You can bomb them, but bombs make folks at least temporarily deaf. Remember that. When something comes up that SHE thinks is nuts, let HER talk about how nuts it is. Just be quiet and let her go on about it! If you see good things in the world-talk up that. It'll drive her nuts, but what can she say about it? 

YOU focus on the positive. Even if you see the WT doing something good in the world or one of her JW friends. Encourage her to love and actual fine works in the community. Be the anti witness in such positive ways that she doesn't need to hear why her religion is lacking when she sees that your version of living is so positive. Words are empty. Show her goodness. Start shopping for the after holiday letdown in food bank donations and ask her for advice on good ideas to help the needy eat nutritiously and inexpensively.Maybe she knows of a family in the hall that you could help.  Even work out a budget to do this regularly-even if only a few dollars a week.  Commentary on the JWs will be superfluous. The act will speak for itself.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    I'm in a similar situation to you except with me it with a parent. She believes it with all her heart, and she knows nothing about what I'm thinking other than I no longer go. Frankly although I'm frustrated I feel if she happy doing what she dose, then let her be.
  • whathappened
    whathappened

My daughter and son in law are the same way.  They say "do you honestly think we are going to leave the organization just because of these unflattering things you have showed us?"

Unbelievable!  I am now no longer allowed to speak of anything about the JWs.

• menrov
    menrov
    I am in such a situation as well. My wife understands that not everything is correct but wants to stay loyal to Jehovah, which in her mind is done by staying loyal to the organisation. I find it almost impossible to break that wall. I hope the WT March 2015 study edition given another opportunity to break the wall.
  • Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

get her to read about cult mind control (which she is completely under whether she thinks so or not).

https://www.freedomofmind.com/Info/BITE/bitemodel.php

She will deny deny deny as many of us ex cult drones would have done so, but it may help over time.

kairos, you also need to learn to say nothing sometimes, engage brain then speak eh? You push them away unless they are ready...

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

I am in the same spot...told my wife the other day that she love the org more than me and our marriage. 

she asked me why i changed....i told her i don't want to talk about it and i don't want to fight.....fighting is worthless and fighting with a brainwashed jw is even more worthless. 

so she keep on and keep on. i told her that she has become a different person, especially when it comes to the cult. i told her that she is controlled through the B.I.T.E model. i told her to look it up. 

i am tired of fighting about this useless stuff. it's a waste of energy, i have told her i respect what she believes. but that is not good enough. she wants me to go back and believe the crap of the org. 

no way man! this is destroying our marriage....and for what? because i don't believe what she believes?

i have not talked to her in 2 days.....i just want life to be like it was before i joined this stupid cult in march of 2008. i am hurting at this fact...that she is defining our marraige and family based of this stupid cult. i was decieved by the person i studied with....never told the dirty about getting involved. 

i don't really know whats going to happen to our marriage....if it ends, so be it. he devotion is to the org and they will praise her for standing up to apostacy. in the end who wins? nobody....we just become another statistic. with lots of counseling i will get through it. 

but why? i thought we were free moral agents? that what the stupid guy who studied with me said. well, obviously not. like i said...i was decieved. 

i hate this cult...remember it is a cult.

if i could turn back time. just have one wish. please please let me go back to 2007 and never get involved with this cult. so much heart ache caused...and for what? 

GTTM

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

kairos, back off. Leave her be. 

Look, when my hubby was learning TTATT, he had the good sense not to bombard me with what he was discovering. He'd sometimes test the waters with me but I didn't really understand what his beef was - I believed the Org was right even though the people in it were imperfect. I knew his faith in the Org was taking a battering and he was reading all those forbidden books he shouldn't have been reading. I respected him enough not to rat him out to the elders (he had to figure it all out without their meddling) but as far as I was concerned, whatever he chose to do in the end, if he left 'the Truth,' I would stay loyal to it. That was my resolve.

He stuck it out as a JW for my and his family's sake. I'm not recommending that is what you should do (it is psychologically damaging), I'm just saying what he did, having been dealt the cards he had. If he'd rammed his new ideas down my throat, I would have resisted his 'persecution' and diabolical attempts to compromise my faith and may even still be a loyal dubbie now! Would the conflicts have eventually resulted in separation or divorce? Who knows? It would have put a great strain on our marriage, that's for sure.

As it turned out, years later, my own questions and niggles prompted me to research the Org, its interpretations and claims. One by one the scales fell from my eyes and I could see what hubby could see all those years before. But I had to examine the issues when I was ready, on my own terms and in my own time - not my husband's or anyone else's.

Your wife has a right to her beliefs and freedom of worship just as you have. You remember that Scripture about winning over your spouse 'without a word.' It applies in this situation too. Maybe one day some light bulbs will go on, like with me. Even if she stays a JW till the day she dies, if you both love each other and respect each other's views and sensibilities, you'll both manage your religious differences and learn to live with them.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos
    Yes, I don't understand why you are persecuting your wife.  Where is the love in this TTATT bombardment?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit