Health Care: A Right or a Privilege?

by prophecor 401 Replies latest members politics

• LDH
    LDH
    We ask, why doesn't the US prioritize ensuring that all her citizens are provided with medical care? Why don't we all demand that?

FHN,

I think we have, as a people. Government has chosen her own priorities. Oil, oil, and oil. In that ranking.

• LDH
    LDH
    Frankly, I think that statement is utter bullshit. Have any data to back up that seemingly outrageous comment?

I guess you'll just have to take my 15+ years of experience in the industry.

I have seen people who WORK for health insurance companies bitch about 'having to choose a health plan.' Don't think for one second they wouldn't 'opt out' to get that extra $25 a week in their paycheck if they could.

I've seen it for employer after employer.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe
    So it is both a right and a privilege, depending on where you are in your life.

Now that's an interesting comment!

So, tell me, do you think that you have a right to healthcare?

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone
    So, tell me, do you think that you have a right to healthcare?

*applause*

GGG

• LDH
    LDH

What I have a right to, my friend, is HEALTH INSURANCE. I have a right to health insurance because both my HUSBAND and I work very hard everyday and we PAY for it. No one is giving it to us.

Health Insurance is not Health Care, no matter how much you want it to be.

The poor should be covered under a government safety net. They are. The elderly should be covered under a government program. They are. The disabled should be provided for. They are. NO you will never get rich on government programs, and you shouldn't!

Everyone else can damn well work for their health insurance, until the MAJORITY of the population decides they don't like the program. Then it will change, not before.

http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html

We are at 297,925,312 in the US. 44 million uninsured represents 15%.
    The majority of the 44 million are covered by government programs.

Lisa

Fiscal Responsibility Class

• LDH
    LDH

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/9/105461/1.ashx

Holy shit, if this is an example of quality socialized healthcare, I don't want no parts of it!!!!! Poor Sirona's husband never even SAW the Dr. that did the surgery. You have got to be kidding.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

So where is the "safety net" threshold set? Do you feel it's set appropriately in your country? What do you do if the illness is protracted and your policy and savings won't cover it? Should someone who has been diligent about such things be allowed to fall into poverty due to a health need?

As for your concluding comments on healthcare I'm afraid they appear clueless...

• LDH
    LDH
    Do you feel it's set appropriately in your country?

Probably NOT, and that's what makes this difficult. How do imperfect humans set boundaries for other imperfect humans? Someone is gonna get left out in the cold. Even Sirona's post I linked to above proves that socialized medicine is not the cure all.

Just so you know, even with insurance, people grumble about paying for their share.

People in general want something for nothing. That's how it's always been, that's how it will always be. I would estimate that of the 15% who are uninsured, 5% are eligible for government programs without even knowing it. 5% could afford healthcare if they set their priorities straight. The other 5% SHOULD be eligible, but the safety net is set too high to discourage overutilization.

Lisa

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I wonder - what would be the cost to the individual, of a post-operative infection?

In the UK it's paid by the system. I'm going to take a guess that in the USA it's paid by Mr. Deep-Pocket?

• fairchild
    fairchild
    We are at 297,925,312 in the US. 44 million uninsured represents 15%.

The majority of the 44 million are covered by government programs.

I don't understand this statement.. if they were covered by government programs, then they would not be uninsured, no?

15% is a lot, that means that 15 out of every 100 Americans do not have coverage.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit