Health Care: A Right or a Privilege?

by prophecor 401 Replies latest members politics

• LDH
    LDH

You have access to medical care paid for by the government once you go over a certain amount of your income. A percent, let's say 8% of gross income as an example.

Therefore, even if you do have a catastrophic issue, you still have to pay a percent of your income and then you go on the government plans.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

LDH:You have access to medical care paid for by the government once you go over a certain amount of your income. A percent, let's say 8% of gross income as an example.

Therefore, even if you do have a catastrophic issue, you still have to pay a percent of your income and then you go on the government plans.

This is NOT true. What government do you have in mind ?

The only programs that approach that is if you 1.) are below poverty levels 2.) have no assets over $500 you can sell 3.) you live in a major city where the county has a low income assistance program for medical (and that is laughable in most cases).

In Texas, with hundreds of counties, only a handful provide this help.

Btw, this is the very reason, imo, why 'big' cities are a magnet for folks who are mentally or physically ill and people who for whatever reason are on the welfare roles. They live where they can get help. In my opinion, if we had a fair national health care program, a lot of these people would stay near family and friends in smaller towns instead of gravitating to the big ones.

Think about the relief the big cities could have on their health care & housing costs if they did not have to shoulder this artificially contrived burden.

Little Toe & others not in the US -- what do you see in your own countries ? Does my theory hold water about 'big' cities ? I realize folks with certain serious or complicated diseases may need a larger hospital, because of testing equipment, etc.

Rabbit

• LDH
    LDH

Hi there Rabbit..... I did post a link earlier in the thread that had each state's healthcare resource links.

However here is California's parameters which breaks the Medicaid eligible into two groups. The MEDICALLY needy and the CATEGORICALLY needy. (Categorically needy are poverty level individuals. Medically needy will be the 'working poor.' )

http://www.cms.hhs.gov/MedicaidGenInfo/Downloads/MedicaidAtAGlance2005.pdf

which specifically states which categories of people are covered by Medicaid. In addition to categorically needy, are the "Medically Needy" who have (and I quote) "The medically needy have too much money (and in some cases resources like savings) to be eligible as categorically needy."

So there are separate levels and classifications of 'neediness' and you can see that the MEDICALLY NEEDY who have financial resources like savings, still may be eligible.

Texas: I quote from page 3 "The MEDICALLY NEEDY program in Texas only covers the 'mandatory' medically needy groups. It does not cover the aged, blind or disabled." (Of course the aged, blind and disabled are most likely covered under different programs or as 'categorically needy.'

Lisa

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

A responsibility.

• LDH
    LDH

Also let's not forget that in this country if you spend more than a certain amount of your GROSS income, these medical expenses are TAX DEDUCTIBLE people!!!! According to the IRS (national tax authority) here are the parameters.

You may deduct only the amount by which your total medical care expenses for the year exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. You do this calculation on Form 1040 Schedule A in computing the amount deductible.

Medical expenses include insurance premiums paid for accident and health or qualified long-term care insurance. You may not deduct insurance premiums for life insurance, for policies providing for loss of wages because of illness or injury, or policies that pay you a guaranteed amount each week for a sickness.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc502.html

So if you earn 50,000 a year, and spend more than $3750 for medical and dental health care, you can deduct the excess of $3750 and what you spent if you itemize your return. HELLO!!!!!

Since I'm the only one on the thread using actual links to independent data and government resources, it leads me to believe everyone else here in the states is spouting rhetoric about entitlement because they do not know how or do not care to avail themselves of resources and knowledge about this subject.

Weird.

Lisa

• LDH
    LDH
    The only programs that approach that is if you 1.) are below poverty levels 2.) have no assets over $500 you can sell

Rabbit, do you think people with tangible assets should use those assets for a rainy day? Do you think someone with assets should use those assets first, before they go on the public dole?

In other words, if I own a home, and I have chosen not to have health insurance for whatever reason--and I have a catastrophe, do you think I should sell that home to pay for health care?

Lisa

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    Since I'm the only one on the thread using actual links to independent data and government resources

All of the information of mine quoted has come from independent and governement sources ..below are 2 more published articles on the same subject - the bottom line is that those uninsured or underinsured are less likely to seek attention as a direct result of not having the money to so. This can cause death. There is no country that has universal health care that has the same level of bankruptcy or death from lack of funds - that simple. (and sorry LD - I disagree about the vacation entitlement - the link between physical and mental health is undisputed and too many people are overworked and without sufficient time off to recharge their batteries. - IMO)

Perception, Reality and and Health Insurance:

Uninsured as Likely as Insured to Perceive Need for Care but Half as Likely to Get Care

Hadley J and Cunningham PJ
    Issue Brief No. 100, October 2005

While considerable research shows that uninsured people are less likely to seek and receive medical care, some contend that the uninsured are uninsured by choice and can obtain care when needed. A new study by the Center for Studying Health System Change (HSC), however, undercuts the validity of this contention, finding that there is no difference between insured and uninsured people’s perception of the need to see a medical provider when they experience a serious new symptom. However, among people who believed that they needed medical care, the uninsured were less than half as likely to see or talk to a doctor, indicating that lack of insurance is a major barrier to uninsured people getting needed medical care.

Associated Grant ID: Health Tracking

A Widening Rift In Access and Quality:

Growing Evidence of Economic Disparities

Hurley RE, Pham HH and Claxton G
    Health Affairs (Web Exclusive), w5.566, December 2005

Data from the Community Tracking Study provide a valuable perspective from which to observe how economic disparities--largely a function of different sources of coverage--influence access to medical care in the United States. Many recent investments and initiatives are focused on affluent communities and are accessible mainly to people with employer-based or Medicare coverage. For people with Medicaid or no coverage at all, access to basic care is worsening, as a result of stalled coverage expansions and service cutbacks. An improving economy could forestall further cuts and permit reversal of earlier ones, but progress in closing this rift does not appear imminent.

Forty-five million Americans have *no* health insurance coverage, and millions more are not covered for the full year.
    The Institute of Medicine estimates that 18,000 Americans die each year because they don’t have health coverage

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    I prefer the work ethic of the American worker

I don't know if having vacation time allotted out by the employer has anything to do with having a better work ethic - that's like saying simply because other countries around the world mandate vacation and holiday time to their workers, they slack off more. Stats show that despite working fewer hours because of vacation and holiday time, employees in other countries are at least as productive and in many cases actually more productive. There are people who work a 4 day week putting in the same amount of hours and who are equally as ethical in their work habits.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I want to point out that many states do not have a medically needy program. In those states only children of very low income parents are able to get medicaid.

I prefer the work ethic of the American worker, even if it was originally foisted on them, they have adapted.

According to my former doctor, he and his associates agree that our American work ethic is what is responsible for our high rate of heart disease, high blood pressure, depression, anxiety, allergies and certain kinds of cancer. He pointed out to me that in Spain and Italy people get up later. They go into work later. They take a two hour break for lunch: the siesta. They work a bit later and stay up later. He says they have much less stress and actually live and enjoy their lives, thus they are healthier. They get their work done. They enjoy their families, friends and a good social life. Often times people spend their lunches playing music, dancing and having good laughs with their families, coworkers and friends. Doesn't sound at all like the grind I experience.

Family leave is not paid for most people who take it, by the way. Sure, you can take a family leave, but most people can't afford that "luxury."

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    According to my former doctor, he and his associates agree that our American work ethic is what is responsible for our high rate of heart disease, high blood pressure, depression, anxiety, allergies and certain kinds of cancer.

This is a well documented fact around the world - the link is undisputed between the mind/body health connection. It is also counter productive when employees feel so much stress, since they get sick and either show up at work and do less or stay home thus costing the company. Of course, let's remember that for those that can't afford to pay the co-pay costs or who have no actual health insurance, they will continue to work while ill without getting checked out and in the long run that costs more for everyone. A person who is capable, able and committed generally is a good employee and one who recognizes the need for leisure time and balancing family and work. Those people are not afraid to take a vacation or time off. I've found that many people who refuse to take the time off or who don't need or believe in it, are often motivated by their own lack of committment, ability or security in their jobs or personal life. That can easily jump into unseen stressors within the family or the person themself over time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit