SERVICE REPORT 2005 : WATCHTOWER FEB 1ST 2006

by BluesBrother 307 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Quango:

All who have shared in the ministry have had members of other churches telling them that they wish their members had the same zeal or that they themselves had the "guts" to preach. It is an obligation on all Christians to preach and become "fishers of men".
    Where you & I live , the Anglican church and most other religions are in free-fall , yet in the UK we had a 1% increase.

You show me yours and i'll show you mine!

Where I live, the Anglican Church in this state is pushing for a 10% increase - oh, just to remind you, the dubs are 0% increase.

There are some churches here which are booming. BTW my church you can't fit everybody in.

So what, you say eh?

• quango
    quango

Fair enough Ballistic - I can sympathise with you. Ironically , when I was a young pioneer , I was always happy to drop in on some of the old "biddies" during the day for a cuppa - sadly I don't often have the time to do that nowadays to anywhere like the same extent. I wholeheartedly agree that time spent on the ministry because it can be "counted" should not limit time spent with the brothers.

People do get missed - I often wonder how many ex-witnesses posting on this forum and perhaps quite bitter and opposed now would still be associated if they had been shown more consideration & time when they were going through difficulties.

The classic example is a 50 something sister in my congregation - divorced. She is very zealous & very bright - university educated with a very demanding job. Occasionally she can be quite critical & many of my colleagues regard her as a bit of a loose cannon. I fight her corner in my body of elders - for one thing , often her criticisms have justification and we can learn from that. Secondly , my wife goes home & can moan at me - this sister goes home to an empty house & has no-one. The danger is that sisters like her can end up the "Blondies" of the future.

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly
    I personally believe the brothers and sisters substantially under report their ministry. I suspect the real number of hours spent witnessing is probably at least double the reported figure.

Oh please, you're kidding right? We all know about "The pioneer shuffle", or the witnesses who leave tracts at gas stations during their road trips, and the Sista's who make make a call at one end of the county, take a coffee break, then another 20 miles away, and count the whole 4 hours! This is the standard not the exception. Remember, you're talking to people who know the real deal, not some uninformed outsiders.

I live in a suburban area with a KH right down the street. I've had witnesses come by once in the past 2 years. Every time it's a drop-n-go. They try to leave magazines (which I take) and 'poof' they are gone, never to return. I was a pioneer for 5 years and have seen first hand that most witnesses preach to get their time in. Most actually avoid trying to get Bible studies, probably because that further complicates their already busy JW schedule.

Let's face it. 1.3% growth is about consistant with population growth. JW's are baptising primarily family members they birth. I doubt you will find a reputable source to corroborate your "JW's are the fastest growing religion" claim.

Here in the US (where JW's are relatively abundant) people barely know JW's exist, much less the intricacies of their shifting teachings. To beleive that Jehovah's gonna wipe out humanity because people don't subscribe to their "end times" teachings or the "issue of universal sovereignty" (taught nowhere in the Bible) is ridiculous. You've made God out to be a madman intent on genocide.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Wonderful post Freewilly It contains virtually everything I would have said having witnessed the same myself. I even recall JWs going on doors without even ringing the bell or knocking so gently on purpose so as not to get involved in conversation. The whole ministry is a sham overall. People falsify their hours all the time and I found elders to be the worst when it came to genuine ministry. They were always trying to look busy by telling people to go where and would then say to us that they were just going to check on the bros and sis to see everything was alright, having done very little door-work themselves. Then there was that all-too-familar pioneer plod (the slow walk) you mention and the "Oh, I must go off now on a call". Bottom line, EVERYONE hated the field misery and would do their utmost to find an excuse to get out of it (I particularly enjoyed it when it rained as it meant I could go on my own calls, then a return home for a hot coffee or, better still, not go out at all because it was too wet). Wasted time in hated service. I'm glad I'm well and truly out of it!

Ian

• ballistic
    ballistic
    The danger is that sisters like her can end up the "Blondies" of the future.

I hope this is not lost on Blondie.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Ballsy:

He did say "loose cannon" too!!

• blondie
    blondie

Did I hear my name taken in vain. Don't worry, I have a husband to discuss things with complain to.

Blondie

• ballistic
    ballistic

hehe, well, were you a "loose cannon" Blondie? Inquisitive minds want to know.

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

Hey thanks Ian,

It's funny that it's the same way in England too !

I remember one pioneer Sister would bring here college homework in the car with her. She would do all of it while riding around in the car. You had to practically boot her out of the car to go to a door. When she did, it was the same presentation a "Hi, we're offering these journals to people in the community, have you ever wondered ....(then reads the cover)". She was back in the car doing her homework in 90 seconds flat!

And then there were the "Phantom pioneers". I remember one who always had a "Bible study" with someone almost every day. She would show up for the field service meeting and then leave the group and supposedly go to a study. This went on for years! On at least a couple of occassions I saw this same person in the grocery store shortly after the field service meeting shopping.

This one takes the prize though. A brother typed up a letter and printed out dozens of copies. He then added a tract to it and mailed these letters. He estimated 1 hour spent on the letter and multiplied that hour by the 50+ letters he mailed !!! Way to work the system - you have to admire his ingenuity.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, I wasn't considered a loose cannon. I was better at aiming than that. I usually set obvious traps and let the over-confident elders jump in then walked away and let someone else try and rescue them. Or lead them up to the cliff edge and tell them not to jump; so they jumped. No, I was never one running around the KH bad-mouthing the elders. They created enough bad publicity on their own. I ascribe to the Jesus Christ method of using illustrations and asking viewpoint questions.

Wanting to prove himself righteous, the man asked: "Who really is my neighbor?" Jesus answered by telling a story. A certain Jewish man was traveling alone when he was assaulted by robbers, who left him half dead. Along came two Jews, first a priest and then a Levite. Both ignored him. But then a certain Samaritan came upon the scene. Moved with pity, he gently dressed the victim’s wounds and lovingly carried the man to the safety of an inn where he could recover. Concluding the story, Jesus asked his inquirer: "Who of these three seems to you to have made himself neighbor to the man that fell among the robbers?" The man was compelled to answer: "The one that acted mercifully toward him."—Luke 10:25-37.

Jesus compelled the man to give the correct answer because he would have looked like a fool if he didn't, but the man avoided using the word "Samaritan" because Jews had such a dislike of Samaritans. I consider this setting a "trap."

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit