SERVICE REPORT 2005 : WATCHTOWER FEB 1ST 2006

by BluesBrother 307 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

David,

Let me put it this way,

Did you ever engage in works of charity to your community?

If you did, did you report it?

If you didn't, why not?

• David2002
    David2002

"Supreme One"

What suprises me about the figures is we see stagnation following a year of massive natural disasters across the world, earthquakes, floods, tsunami, and following several years of war and heightened fears of terroist activity, as well as actual terroism all the way back to 9/11. It is normally these kind of things that the witnesses capitalise on both in preaching and keeping all the members in a constant frenzy. But instead we see basically zero growth when, as others have pointed out, the natural growth of the witness population should have exceeded the small percentage growth reported.
    I also agree with you. I myself expected the growth to be greater 1.3 percent in view of the recent disasters. Although, I would not called it a "basically zero" growth. The 1.3 percent represents over 100,000 new active publishers. And, as I pointed earlier, weekly meeting attendance is still growing. And in 3 area congregations in NYC, some disfellowshipped individuals are attending meetings, so they may be reinstated soon. 2 of them were out for years and started coming back to the meetings. Also, some baptized Witnesses, who were not attending the meetings, are now attending them. So maybe some who were asleep are just starting to re-awaken in view of what is happening in the world. David2002
  • yesidid
    yesidid
    Therefore, we should respect them and obey them. We have to be careful not to speak abusively of those who are teaching the wonderful truths of the Bible. (compare 2 Peter 2:10-13).

I must say David that the Watchtower has had some over the top doctrines in it's day. Some of course have changed and some have been done away with altogether. But the one that really takes the cake is that the"glorious ones" referred to in 2Peter 2 are the elders in the congregation. I know so many elders who have been disfellowshiped for immorality and dishonesty that it is a disgrace and blasphemy against Jehovah God and Christ Jesus to say such ones were spirit appointed. Elders "Glorious ones" what a disgraceful teaching.

• David2002
    David2002

Dansk:

They try to stir things up with their drivel, safe behind their computer screens and in the comfort of their own homes, coffe or tea at their elbows, booking their time by using us as an excuse. They know preaching is sheer drudgery so they take the easy way out and no one is really going to question their hours (they daren't, otherwise there'd be even less to report

Hey, preaching is exciting to me especially when someone opens the door and ask questions. However, in NYC you can have more success reaching and talking to people via the street or subway ministry. If the Bible truth does not excite you, then you will not be motivate to spread the Word.

- David2002

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    Witnesses believe in helping the poor and those struck in recent disasters. They take up special collections when disaster strikes.

I respectfully beg to differ. When a JW sends a check to expressly help people that you mentioned.....they were told NOT to designate where they would like their donations to be sent....but the WTS saw fit to announce that ALL donations should be sent in care of the WTS "worldwide work" and THEY would then decide how best the JWs money would be spent!

It really stinks of (cough) "other purposes" that it will be used for.....since the WTS doesn't offer ANY financial statements on just where ANY money goes. If any "wordly" agency used these tactics...they would be under great suspicion, wouldn't they?

It's almost laughable....but when natural disasters occur....NOBODY even thinks that the WTS will do anything but run and hide, never coming forward AS AN ORGANIIZED GROUP to offer assistance! Perhaps a smattering of JWs here and there MAY do somethng admirable----but the WTS does not lend itself OR donate money to "worldly" folks in need. That's fact.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    If the Bible truth does not excite you, then you will not be motivate to spread the Word.

here we go with the gnostics again!

It should be the leading of the HS and having Christ in your heart that moves you to speak out.

• yesidid
    yesidid
    It should be the leading of the HS and having Christ in your heart that moves you to speak out.

Spot on Ozzie, but seeing we have both been where David is now, we can understand that such a concept will be quite foreign to him.

The good thing is that one day he too will know, when our Lord returns if not before.

BTW Ozzie did you get my email?

• David2002
    David2002

NewYork44M

David2002 I think you are distoring the reality somewhat. ; I have always been told that informal witnessing should be counted. ; In fact, publishers were encouraged to keep a daily log of the time spent in the informal witnessing

I will have to concede and agree with you that recording informal preaching is encouraged. However, an elder told that if one preaches incidentally and did not record the time, then one is not required to report. For instance, my aunt heard a news report dealing with the transfusion issue. She asks me some questions regarding the issue, to which I respond. That is incidental or informal preaching. If the you did not record the time, then, of course, you do not have to record it. I suspect the same situation happens to many Witnesses. Which is the point I was trying to make earlier.

- David2002

• David2002
    David2002

AuldSold,

24 times in Acts we see preaching in the Synagogues and the Temples (equivalent of Churches today, they were no longer Jewish law outside of Israel), many more Scriptures use the term publicly, many other times the fact that the preaching is public is evident from the context (e.g. the Aereopagus). ;Versus 2 occasions in Acts of a mention of house to house where "publicly" or "in the temple" are cited right alongside. So what do you think was the most common form of Witnessing? The one Witnesses today use or public witnessing?

Why do you suppose they hone in on and emphasize the one form of witnessing Jesus said to avoid? And why did Jesus never encourage that form?

Luke 10:7 . . .Do not be transferring from house to house.

Perhaps you missed my earlier explanation, based on my understanding, and no I am not being misled as you state later on. The book Acts show many different methods of preaching, including in the market places, syngogues, public places, jails, and, of course, house to house etc. It should be noted that later the Christian congregation stopped preaching in synagogues because they were no longer welcomed. Witnesses themselves have used public forum to preach, including in hospitals, jails, Kingdom Halls, stadiums, radio, television, the Web, and in earlier times even churches (In many countries, Witnesses have gone to churches to explain what they believe. A couple of year ago a brother from Venezuela said they showed a movie explaining the work of the Witnesses in a church. But just like the first century Christians, after awhile, Witnesses are no longer welcome.)

You mention that the book of Acts refers to "house to house" preaching only twice, and every other time it was other places. The book of Acts is an historical document of the early Christian congregation, and we cannot expect to see every little detail of what happened in the early congregation. But the most important facts are highlighted, which would serve as a model to today's Christian. Acts 5:42 says "And EVERY DAY in the temple and from house to house they continued WITHOUT LETUP teaching and declaring the goods about the Christ, Jesus." Those preaching to house to house was included as an every day activity of Christians. Were they then disobeying Jesus? You cited Luke 10:7 where Jesus said not to be "transferring from house to house." But, as I explained in an earlier post, that was referring to the disciples visiting a new town and then staying in that home to sleep while they preached in the town. (see my earlier note which includes a footnote from another Bible translation). I also had mentioned Matthew 10:5 "Jesus sent out thes 12 after giving them instructions: "DON'T ENTER TAKE THE ROAD LEADING TO OTHER NATIONS, AND DON'T ENTER ANY SAMARITAN TOWN. INSTEAD, GO TO THE LOST SHEEP OF THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL." Dpes that Christians are only suppose to preach to Jews? NO! Of course, we know that Christians are to be Witnesses for the entire world. (Matt. 28:18-20; Acts 1:8). And we know that it was just that at the time the preaching work was limited to the lost house of Israel, but was later open to the greater field of the world. The apostle Paul imitated WHO? 1 Corithians 11:1 "Be imitators of me, as I also am of Christ." (CSB) And Act 20:20, 21 says the apostle Paul preached in public and from house to house testifying to "both Jews and Greeks about repentance toward God and faith in our Lord Jesus." (CSB). So the early Christians went house to house EVERY DAY; the apostle Paul, who told the early Christian church to imitate him as he imitates Christ, preached from house to house. True followers of Christ do the same today.

--David2002

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

David,

Why is it that dubs link unrelated texts so much?

Anyway, that was an aside, I should like to comment on this:

So the early Christians went house to house EVERY DAY; the apostle Paul, who told the early Christian church to imitate him as he imitates Christ, preached from house to house. True followers of Christ do the same today.

Have you taken the trouble to read more about the expression "from house to house"? I think you'll be surprised! Suppose, for example, it literally read "in your houses" - would that make a difference to how you understand your defense of the house-to-house work?

Also, please read the context (that'd be a change for a JW!!) and you'll read that Paul's words were to the church, not to the unchurched. He said I have not hesitated to preach....to you." If then it was to the church how is the public doorknocking a la the JWs involved?

In addition, even if the door to door work is envisioned, notice that Paul speaks of the public preaching as separate from the preaching "house to house".

In rebuttal, it's a furphy to follow the WTS' line that this in any way can be likened to the dubs' going witnessing "from house to house".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit