Why all the venom?

by lynnmelo 175 Replies latest members adult

• Cocoon
    Cocoon

I believe that JWs have the right to believe and preach whatever they want. They can tell us all that whales fly and that the sun is nothing but a big bouncing ball for Jehovah's amusement. However, the leadership (the Watchtower) has absolutely no right to tear apart my family and impact MY life without my consent through their shunning practices! If the Watchtower took up firearms and brutally blew away my family members--and the family members of all ex-JWs out there--the world would be absolutely outraged. But because this cult symbolically blows them away through skillful indoctrination, most people don't really "let in" the impact of this, most simply do not get it. Only former JWs, those who have watched their family disintegrate before their eyes, really understand. Imagine losing 3-4 family members all at once in a car crash. That's an analogy of what it's like. (I've lost 8 people in my immediate family to this religious "crash.") I'm not angry anymore, nor do I hate them, but I do want to help others understand and "let in" the impact of becoming a JW. Please check out the newsletters on my website to see how destructive this cult really is (if you haven't already). Brenda Lee, author, "Out of the Cocoon: A Young Woman's Courageous Flight from the Grip of a Religious Cult." www.outofthecocoon.net

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Have you investigated the sex abuse scandal, lynnmelo? I beg you to look at it, though I wonder if they have already told you it is lies. That is what they say at meetings around here; all lies from apostates.

That is also what i thought, until I researched it. Hundreds of hours of research convinced me that the society was hiding the results of their sex abuse policy.

One thing I wanted to comment on:

I believe Jehovah is the ultimate arbiter of all things.

I believe the same thing. But when you say Jehovah, do you really mean God as he has been explained to you by the witnesses? Are you sure that they have the final say about what he wants, what the role of Jesus is?

You are joining a group that thinks they alone have the ONLY truth about God; all others, ALL other groups or individual thinkers, are not only wrong, but from the Devil. Is that really what you think?

I am a lifelong witness. I loved it; I lived it. I raised my kids in it. But they are lying. About sex abuse, blood, their old teachings and who really writes their articles.

In the business world, I expect to be lied to. Not in matters of worship.

• Quotes
    Quotes

JWs invite harsh criticism due to the way they so harshly criticize others.

"Those that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

You are asking "why do people throw stones at Watchtower's glass house???" It is because WTS has been hurling stones from their glass house for over 100 years.

Oh, and perhaps you feel that this "persecution" (as you might see it) is "proof" that they have the "truth". Please keep in mind:

(1) criticism is not persecution;

(2) JWs are certainly not unique in this regard (equating criticism with persecution). Many (most?) religions are scrutinized and criticized by former members. But not all groups cry "Help! Persecution!!!" when this happens. It is interesting to notice that in this regard, JWs share common traits with Moonies, Scientologists, Branch Davidians, The Bretheren, etc. etc. That in itself should give you something to think about.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    To all, the one concern I have about not joining the Witnesses is not being able to fulfill the requirement for witnessing unless I join. I certainly won't go door to door on my own, so how will I do it? How do you guys do it? Also, how do you fulfill the command in Hebrews to assemble together to worship God? I'm concerned about not joining because I'm just not sure how I would fulfill some of these things without joining an organization,

This is a small taste of the burden they want to place on you.

And it already prevents you from qualifying for baptism. Jesus said, "Take my yoke. It is kindly and light." Open your eyes.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Lynnmelo,
    you stated that some of the doctrines are correct, shunning , blood, door to door, and also upset at Jehovah being blasphemed.
    The sad reality is that none of those doctrines are correct. It is important for you to research both sides of the Watchtower doctrine before making a decision to believe or commit what they teach you.
    You believe the WTS to be truth as the Watchtower gives some reasons to support their doctrines. However, the reasons other Christians do not follow them is that generations of sincere Christian scholars has shown beyond doubt that the bible should not be interpretted in the Watchtower way. How can it be justified that billions of people over 2000 years all have it wrong?
    For example, the word Jehovah was not used by Jesus. Not a single one of the 5000 ancient manuscripts of the New Testament has YHWH in it. The WTS has dishonestly changed the scriptures in the New World Translation, the very Word of God, in order to support an incorrect doctrine. Why is the word Jehovah not in the New Testament? Because Jesus taught his followers to refer to God as Father, a far closer relationship than that indicated by calling someone by their name.
    In Search of Christian Freedom by Franz explains why the method of preaching by the Witnesses of going door to door is not advocated in the bible.
    At jwfacts.com shunning, blood and Jehovah are discussed in detail.

• lynnmelo
    lynnmelo

jwfacts, this caught my attention:

"For example, the word Jehovah was not used by Jesus. Not a single one of the 5000 ancient manuscripts of the New Testament has YHWH in it. The WTS has dishonestly changed the scriptures in the New World Translation, the very Word of God, in order to support an incorrect doctrine. Why is the word Jehovah not in the New Testament? Because Jesus taught his followers to refer to God as Father, a far closer relationship than that indicated by calling someone by their name."

So, are you saying that Jehovah isn't the correct name for God, or that the God of the old testament is not the same as the God of the New Testament? I'm just curious since He must have a name.

To all others who responded, thank you for your respectful tone and your information.

• lynnmelo
    lynnmelo

jwfacts, I don't want you to think that I was excluding you from that last comment. Thank you for your information as well. I'll check out your web site.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Mouthy, you wrote, "I wanted to die... I loved Jehovah so much,,,"

Mouthy, I hope you haven't lost that love. Don't let any organization do that to you. If what everyone on this board is writing is true, then that means that we can have a personal relationship with Jehovah without any organization as the mediator

Oh Do I have a relationship???? You bet your cotton socks I do. But it is with Father ,Son, & Holy Spirit...& Father said" LISTEN TO MY SON!"---We also know" it is NOT by works least any man should boast..." Also it says" LOVE THINE ENEMIES" also do unto others as you would like them to do to you.... I feel your in for a bumpy ride girl.... PRAY to the one,,,, GOD( NOT JEHOVAH THAT IS A FALSE RENDITION)told us to pray to the MEDIATOR!!!!!JESUS!!! I love HIM MORE Now than I ever did as a JW!!!!!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Welcome back, lynnmelo. I don't THINK my comments are venomous. You can check my history to be sure.

I think I can help with the YHWH question. We know Jesus was not speaking Hebrew to his audience. He would have spoken Aramaic to the crowds. At that time, the Jewish people did not speak Jehovah's sacred name aloud. Jesus most oftern referred to Jehovah as his Father, or Lord.

A word study in Matthew,

pate¯r:

Apparently a primary word; a "father" (literally or figuratively, near or more remote): - father, parent. - 60 incidents

kurios:

From kuros (supremacy); supreme in authority, that is, (as noun) controller; by implication Mr. (as a respectful title): - God, Lord, master, Sir. - 82 incidents.

theos:

Of uncertain affinity; a deity, especially (with G3588) the supreme Divinity; figuratively a magistrate; by Hebraism very: - X exceeding, God, god [-ly, -ward]. - 53 incidents.

An analogy from my own life is that I rarely call my dad by his given name. He was born William, was transmogrified in to Bill, and has been dad to me these past forty years. Now in honoring my father and his Name, do I accomplish this by repeating it often as in, "Hey Bill, can you drive me to the airport?" or do I honor his Name by my actions and conduct as in, "Dad, my team is up for a service excellence award. You taught me those principles that made me what I am today, thank you."

The justification the JW's use for replacing the Greek words with the Hebrew was that Jesus was quoting OT scriptures. In those cases, the JW translators replaced the Greek with the Hebrew text.

All of these have a scriptural basis, no matter how much any of us wishes it didn't. The Witnesses aren't making this stuff up.

I have been a regular christian these past twenty years, and I don't find the JW's so good at interpreting scriptures in context. One can't just pick a scripture at random and obey. It must be understood in the larger context of love and life.

• rebel8
    rebel8

lynnmelo, For me it is the sinister and corrupt nature of the WT organization that makes me angry. It caused a lot of problems in my life as well as giant problems for my extended family. I personally do not care what beliefs people hold as long as they do no harm. It is the org I have a problem with. Read about it at www.jwinfo.50megs.com.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit