What is WRONG with people? (Looters, shooters, et al)

by AlmostAtheist 88 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I'm sitting here in awe, just having read that evacuation helicopters are reporting BEING SHOT AT in Louisiana. Shot at.

Looters are seeing an opportunity to take goods that will probably be destroyed or paid for by insurance anyway. It's dirty and nasty and wrong, but I can live with it. Then I read where gangs of looters are car jacking rescue vehicles. One guy was driving a nursing home's bus and had to give it up at gunpoint. Just to make sure we're all on the same page; they're stealing RESCUE VEHICLES at gunpoint.

These aren't Islamic rebels, stealing vehicles and attacking non-muslims out of religious fervor. These are Americans, shooting at other Americans for kicks, stealing from them to make a few quick bucks.

Oh my God. I just can't take it. We talk about free will being an illusion, and I believe it. Yet I sit here knowing that I wouldn't shoot at a passing evac chopper, and knowing that someone else did. What is wrong with those people?

Words fail.

Dave

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i've had to quit watching coverage. its too upsetting that this stuff is going on here in our country and to see how powerless our authorties seem to be against it.. that is soo scary and like you say.. words fail

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

It just makes me realize how differently people react when thrown into "survival mode." We see it in Hollywood movies (people trapped in a sinking ship, stranded on an island, etc.) but you don't think "the crazy" character is really real.

• Bryan
    Bryan

One thing you have to understand is that the young black men where killing each other almost every night. These gangs now have automatic weapons and with little civil authority they feel empowered.

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

They live in a different America than you do. And now it's a very different America than you. It may be counterproductive to their own wellbeing, what they are doing, but don't imagine for a second that they have any of the same options you'd have in the same situation. They don't.

One thing is sure however, had they been evacuated, they would not be there now, and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Empathy begins as a purely intellectual excercise. The above should not be construed as excusing harmful, hurtful actions. I say this to ward off stupid people. Sometimes I think stupid people are worse than people who shoot people, then I realize they're not worse, they're the same.

• upside/down
    upside/down

When the cats away...the mice play.

Wait till the "good guys" start shooting back... the cries of racism and brutality will be a lawyers DREAM!

Let's make it CLEAR...there is a HUGE distinction between people trying to survive and PREDATORS on the loose.

u/d(of the criminals hate it when you shoot back...class)

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Disaster brings out the best in some people. Disaster brings out the worst in people. Today we have lovely crack and meth and gangsta rap to add fuel to the fire. We all know that with "progress" here in the USA, our young and our poor have really paid the price in poor quality of life. But I can tell you from experience, the majoritySouthern Louisianans are some of the most generous, helpful people on this earth. You won't find this many nice people in one place anywhere. Even the jws there in Baton Rouge were very generous and kind.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

ME TOO!! I'm in shock!!! I just found this article on MSNBC: NBC, MSNBC and news services Updated: 9:15 a.m. ET Sept. 1, 2005

NEW ORLEANS - National Guard troops in armored vehicles poured into New Orleans on Thursday to curb the growing lawlessness that included shots reportedly fired at a helicopter airlifting people out of the Superdome and arson fires outside the arena.

The scene at the Superdome became increasingly chaotic, with thousands of people rushing from nearby hotels and other buildings, hoping to climb onto the buses taking evacuees from the arena, officials said. Paramedics became increasingly alarmed by the sight of people with guns.

The operation to bus more than 20,000 people to the Houston Astrodome was suspended “until they gain control of the Superdome,” said Richard Zeuschlag, head of Acadian Ambulance, which was handling the evacuation of sick and injured people from the Superdome.

He said that military would not fly out of the Superdome either because of the gunfire and that the National Guard told him that it was sending 100 military police officers to gain control.
    “That’s not enough,” Zeuschlag. “We need a thousand.”

He said medics were calling him and crying for help because they were so scared of people with guns at the Superdome.

Lt. Col. Pete Schneider of the Louisiana National Guard said the military — which was handling the evacuation of the able-bodied from the Superdome — had suspended operations, too, because fires set outside the arena were preventing buses from getting close enough to pick up people.

Zeuschlag said shots were fired at a military helicopter over the Superdome before daybreak, adding that when another evacuation helicopter tried to land at a hospital in the outlying town of Kenner overnight, the pilot reported that 100 people were on the landing pad, and some of them had guns.

“He was frightened and would not land,” Zeuschlag said.

Reinforcements called inAn additional 10,000 National Guard troops from across the country were ordered into the Gulf Coast to shore up security, rescue and relief operations. The new units brought the number of troops dedicated to the effort to more than 28,000, in what may be the largest military response to a natural disaster.

Looting has also been a problem in Mississippi.

“The truth is, a terrible tragedy like this brings out the best in most people, brings out the worst in some people,” said Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour on NBC’s “Today” show Thursday. “We’re trying to deal with looters as ruthlessly as we can get our hands on them.”

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, meanwhile, said one problem is that “we have an ongoing flood situation even as we’re in the middle of recovering from the hurricane.”

“We’re in a position where there are additional people we have to look for,” he told “Today.” “We’re hoping to get the most people out as we can in the next 12 hours and 24 hours, but we’re going to continue to search until we’re sure we’ve got everybody safe.”

New Orleans police focus on lootersIn New Orleans, Mayor Ray Nagin on Wednesday night ordered the city's 1,500 police officers to leave their search-and-rescue mission and focus on stopping the looting.

Looters and armed gangs “are starting to get closer to heavily populated areas — hotels, hospitals and we’re going to stop it right now,” Nagin said.

Looters used garbage cans and inflatable mattresses to float away with food, blue jeans, tennis shoes, TV sets — even guns. The driver of a nursing-home bus surrendered the vehicle to thugs after being threatened.

Police were asking residents to give up any firearms before they evacuated neighborhoods because officers desperately needed the firepower: Some officers who had been stranded on the roof of a hotel said they were shot at.

Nagin called for an all-out evacuation of the city’s remaining residents. Asked how many people died, he said: “Minimum, hundreds. Most likely, thousands.”

• roybatty
    roybatty
    NEW ORLEANS - National Guard troops in armored vehicles poured into New Orleans on Thursday to curb the growing lawlessness that included shots reportedly fired at a helicopter airlifting people out of the Superdome and arson fires outside the arena.

This is what I can't understand. They KNEW several days ago that the hurricane was coming and was going to level New Orleans. So why didn't they have the national guard called up and ready to go in the MINUTE the storm blew over? There should have been squads of Guardsmen patrolling street. Now that the word is out that it's free pickings in New Orleans, people are really going to start pouring in and looting every store and home. Unbelieveable.

This morning I heard on the radio that here in Illinois we'll be sending 300 guardsmen. WTF were they waiting for? Why weren't they packed up and headed down there before the storm even hit?

Maybe who's ever in charge needs to call the Brooklyn and get a few tips from the knucke heads up there. Compared to who's ever in charge of the disaster relief and secirity of that area, I've seen better planning at District Conventions.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    So why didn't they have the national guard called up and ready to go in the MINUTE the storm blew over?

Better yet, why didn't they have the NG evacuating BEFORE the storm got there? There was time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit