What is WRONG with people? (Looters, shooters, et al)

by AlmostAtheist 88 Replies latest jw friends

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs
    This is what I can't understand. They KNEW several days ago that the hurricane was coming and was going to level New Orleans. So why didn't they have the national guard called up and ready to go in the MINUTE the storm blew over?

i was thinking the same thing a few days ago, but then you have to take this into consideration. the weather service actually downgraded the hurricane. the said, ''it's not as bad as we thought.'' and it wasn't the storm itself that destroyed the city, it was the levees that were damaged by the storm. i was watching an interview w/ the mayor of new orleans. people kept calling in and asking her the same thing. ''why did you wait till the last minute to deploy the national guard?''

because they didn't know. the entire weather service kept saying...''it's not that bad, it's not that bad.'' and then on top of that, once they did realize that it was that bad...the flooding had gotten to a point to where it was extremely difficult to get anyone out there.

i honestly feel that everyone's doing the best they can in this situation, and instead of griping on them for waiting till the last minute and having all these ill thoughts towards them, we should be considering the fact that they are all out there, many risking their lives to protect citizens from crazed looters, rescuing people, delivering food and supplies, and doing the best that they can to get everyone out of there.

luv, jojo

• Elsewhere
  • kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

where is that at?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    the weather service actually downgraded the hurricane. the said, ''it's not as bad as we thought.'' and it wasn't the storm itself that destroyed the city, it was the levees that were damaged by the storm. i was watching an interview w/ the mayor of new orleans. people kept calling in and asking her the same thing. ''why did you wait till the last minute to deploy the national guard?''

because they didn't know. the entire weather service kept saying...''it's not that bad, it's not that bad.'' and then on top of that, once they did realize that it was that bad...the flooding had gotten to a point to where it was extremely difficult to get anyone out there.

That's bollocks. The storm was called a catagory 5 storm at least two days before landfall. Which means it had to pass thru uprgrading from a 3 and 4 to get there. There was all sorts of (accurate) speculation as to how bad this could be, and what's more, it was known that a direct hit would be very bad even if it hit N.O. at only a catagory two or three level.

• luna2
    luna2
    That's bollocks. The storm was called a catagory 5 storm at least two days before landfall

I was gonna say! What weather report were they listening to? All I heard from The Weather Channel reports was, "This is bad folks. This is a monster. It's headed straight for New Orleans. Get out if at all possible." In fact, some of the Weather Channel guys seemed somewhat surprised that there hadn't been a call for mandatory evacuations sooner.

I think the government authorities got caught with their pants down.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I think those prices are in the area around where Katrina went through.

The other day the prices here went from $2.59 to $2.89.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The reason the weather reporters said that it was not going to be so bad is because it is very difficult for a hurricane to remain a category 5 in strength. This is because at that point it is pushing the laws of physics that govern it.

What happens is the hurricane reaches category 5 for a while, then it "stumbles" a bit causing the eye to start to collapses, then it regroups again to return to a category 5. Just before Katrina reached land it started one of these "stumbling" cycles which is why the weather reporters said it would not be so bad... only it recovered from the stumble more quickly that predicted.

Also, nearly all of the flooding in New Orleans happened after Katrina had already passed. Katrina weakened the northern levies and then they broke allowing all of the water to the north to flow down into New Orleans. Once the water got there it had nowhere to go because there is no natural outflow from New Orleans.

Bottom line, if the levy had not broken, New Orleans would not be anywhere near as bad.

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs
    What happens is the hurricane reaches category 5 for a while, then it "stumbles" a bit causing the eye to start to collapses, then it regroups again to return to a category 5. Just before Katrina reached land it started one of these "stumbling" cycles which is why the weather reporters said it would not be so bad... only it recovered from the stumble more quickly that predicted.

yeah...that's what i meant.

thank u

luv, jojo

• horrible life
    horrible life

Get all of the good people out, Let the gangs have it, Make an island out of New Orleans. Blow up the only way out. Declare it a foreign country. Don't allow any immigration. HL

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs
    Get all of the good people out, Let the gangs have it, Make an island out of New Orleans. Blow up the only way out. Declare it a foreign country. Don't allow any immigration.

i concur!!!! if they can dish it out, they need to take it too!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit