What is WRONG with people? (Looters, shooters, et al)

by AlmostAtheist 88 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

At least one Republican takes a broader view of looting: ;-)

"Rumsfeld: Looting is transition to freedom"
    By Pamela Hess
    UPI Pentagon Correspondent
    Published 4/11/2003 5:53 PM

"WASHINGTON, April 11 (UPI) -- U.S. forces should not be blamed for the lawlessness and looting in Baghdad as it is a natural consequence of the transition from a dictatorship to a free country, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said Friday at the Pentagon.

"'The task we've got ahead of us now is an awkward one ... It's untidy. And freedom's untidy. And free people are free to make mistakes and commit crimes and do bad things. They're also free to live their lives and do wonderful things. And that's what's going to happen here,' Rumsfeld said."

http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20030411-010551-638...

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Andi I understand what you are saying that is how I feel,,,,,it hurts to see the innocent ones at the Superdome suffering, dying because of the criminals the gangs or what ever they are shooting down the choppers. I don't know ,maybe if the military shot the ones who are shooting at them ,,it might stop it........just don't know. Something has to be done with the criminals, or the ones who want to be saved and resuced out of there can be. That is just crazy.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

btw, the "shooting the helicoptor" story is unconfirmed, and an FAA official is on record denying it, saying they have control over all aircraft in the city, and none have reported being shot at.

This is insane.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

hillbilly,

I'm sorry I misunderstood you. I thought you were speaking of the citizens of NO. That's what I meant when I said this isn't the time. I can't imagine that someone would ever purposely put people in the Superdome for purposes of killing them, but I see your point.

I cannot stand to see those babies and elderly people suffering. Why aren't we airdropping food and supplies to these people???? We do it for other people in other countries...why can't we do it for NO???

Andi

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I would expect the FAA to deny this story... The govt has a tiger by the tail down there and need to project some idea they have control over the situation.

This is gonna get ugly boys and girls. Very ugly.

~Hill

• horrible life
    horrible life

I do not remember any stories of looting after the Tsunami in December 04. These were Third World Countries. With THOUSANDS of dead bodies. From what I know, they didn't turn into animals. HL

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

(((((((((Andi))))))))) no harm no foul.

I am really afraid this whole thing will lead to a race war.

I have pretty good memory of Detroit and Memphis after Dr King was shot...just happend to be in both towns as a child when things got hot that summer. I am getting the same vibe...and hope I am wrong.

~Hill

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

(((((((((Andi))))))))) no harm no foul.

Thank you for your grace hillbilly. This situation is so frustrating - we are so limited on what we can do. In the meanwhile, there are babies dying from dehydration and elderly dying because of lack of medication and care. *sigh*

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    this is not the action of "poor" people, this is the actions of uncivilized selfish lowlives. I just read another excerpt revealing how shots are being fired at rescue helicopters. How foolish is that? Shoot the hand that feeds you. And they wonder why they live in squalor. You may not choose to be poor, but you choose to be a criminal. These people, black and white, are old enough to make the wrong choices and poverty has little to do with it. I grew up poor and never once robbed or hurt someone because of it. If you want a shining example of someone who grew up in the ghetto with nothing and pulled himself above it all try Gen Colin Powell."

Thank you for posting this. This was exactly the point I tried to make earlier and was made fun of.......we all have choices, especially as adults. This should be so obvious that we shouldn't even have to cite examples of famous people like Powell or Oprah Winfrey.......I was poor growing up, but, we were taught strong moral guidelines by our mother........our father was an abusive alcoholic......my sister and I both grew up to be hard working non-alcoholic people.......there are many more examples I'm sure we can all cite...........

Terri

• Gerard
    Gerard

I understand people stealing food and water anything elese is greed. Crime under these circumstances is unforgivable.

The Natl. Gueard says they have zero tolerance to crime. If that ios the case, the National Guard should broadcast this: You loot, we shoot.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit