What is WRONG with people? (Looters, shooters, et al)

by AlmostAtheist 88 Replies latest jw friends

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

It's hard for an outsider to comment but I can only give our countries response to our natural disasters.

First in is the military as they have the training to deal with large amounts of casualties e.g. field hospitals

This in conjunction with Emergency Services, a non gov organisation who have a trained and ready team of civilian volunteers

Of course fire fighters etc have their essential place

Looters?

East Timor comes to mind when Oz troops went in to secure civilians from Indonesian terror squads. The squads attempted hit and run tactics thinking UN rules prevented engagement. They got shot.

Out here some crazies start bushfires for kicks endangering many lives and property. We expose them publicly and the conviction rate is surprisingly high. Those convicted face many years in jail.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I agree with you Dave, it's hard to imagine what the mindset is. I think that often very poor people are brought up in an environment where little value is placed on human life and civility.

A few years ago there was a Cleveland Browns player who got hit in the eye accidentally by a penalty flag that was thrown by a referee. Without even thinking about it he shoved the ref down and had to be restrained by his teammates. He was a big black dude from the meanest poorest streets of Washington DC. There was a lot of outrage in the media over the incident, but in his defense one of his coaches said "he comes from a place that you and I couldn't imagine if we had to".

I think that's probably true of the looters, at least some of them. They're from a different world.

Edited to add: I just turned on the TV for the first time since yesterday, I knew things were bad in NO but I didn't know just how bad. So if my comments seem a little dumb, it's because they are. What a terrible situation, made all the worse by a, um, less-than-what-you'd-hope-for response by the gov't.

• seven006
    seven006

The government has to consider the cost before they send out any kind of military help. If they would have sent troops to New Orleans before the hurricane hit, it might have been at too high a cost just in case it wasn’t as bad as it really was. This government under the Mr. Bush has extended itself far beyond it’s allotted fanatical capability when it comes to the military.

I’m sure those who think he has done a good job as our head nut in charge just might see it a little different now. Seven thousand of the “closest” National Guard units to the disaster could not come to their aid quickly, because Mr. Bush had already sent them to Iraq. My son was told that he will be paid for his work there not by the federal government like usual, but he will be paid by the state of Oregon for his time in New Orleans. The fed’s just can’t afford it.

I don’t see the government not helping as soon as they could because of any race or fanatical status issue. But more because they have let an arrogant pampas red neck piss away a large portion of our military and tax money for his own personal ego filling needs to find weapons of mass destruction that were never there. The lying son-of-a-bitch!

Watching MSNBC all day with my son was a bit sobering, knowing he will be there sometime tomorrow afternoon right in the middle of it all to help where he can. What blew my mind were the “people” that were being shown on the news. They are in the middle of one of the biggest, if not the biggest, disasters in this country’s history. A hand full of people are being total assholes, but, the majority of the people are waiting, not fighting, not looting, and despite their desperate situation, they are helping each other cope. Blacks and whites together, crying, waiting, hoping and helping. All together.

As it has been said before, Americans are at their best when things are at their worst.

Help has not come as quick as it should have, because help is on the other side of the world watching all this on TV in their tents.

The incredibly strong, caring, and tolerant people of New Orleans and surrounding areas that were effected by this disaster are asking, “where’s the help”? I’ll say it again, the help is watching all this on their TVs in their tents half way around the world.

I am not a political person. Never have been. I do not post in political threads on this board because I have a tendency to be a little too of an in your face kind of person (sorry Simon) and I am really trying to work on that. But now, I just hope they impeach that son of a bitch Bush!

I’ll let you know what and when I hear about things from my son. He’s going to call me in a couple of days if he can.

Dave

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie
    Live news coverage of woman calling from inside the Superdome , explaining the conditions. A 10 yr old child was almost raped, two broken ankels, a 13 year old she said also raped. Bodies everywhere, violence rampant.

She said there are no police in sight there,,,,,,,,,no authority at all.

The authority figures that were in the Superdome keeping order, disseminating supplies and caring for the wounded were being attacked by the very people they were trying to help. Many of them were ordered to move out of and from around the Superdome because of the danger to them from the evacuees. You don't get to claim that no one's helping you when you greet those who would do so with a punch in the nose.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I understand what you are saying,,,,,,,so the police are scared , and rightly so , so why not get the military in there sooner?

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

From our friends at EnduringVision.com, a satire article that bites hard, but chews thoroughly:

http://www.enduringvision.com/archives/rescue_efforts.htm ( Rescue Efforts Enrage New Orleans Residents)

Dave

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Excellent link Dave.

It is almost like some people there (not the majority obviously) want to keep the anachy and destruction going. Maybe its more fun than being permanently on benefit and having nothing to do.

How utterly wicked to repel the very people that have come to help you.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly
    If this was a bunch of white wealthy people, do you think there wouldn't be help in there days ago?

With all due respect..Bullshit!

~Hill (been there done that class)

• G Money
    G Money

Yeah, the wealthy white people wouldn't be hanging out with their thumbs in their butts. They'd be gone!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit