Do you still use Jehovah's name in prayer assuming you still pray?

by JH 110 Replies latest jw friends

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

TheListener

"if that's correct."

LMAO! Ive done that so many times before!!!

I guess as long as whatever you call him is in a respectful way, on the best of your knowledge, it doesnt matter. Its not going to upset HIM is it?

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    I just think if Jesus has a name, why not Almighty God?

Because:

• He (Jesus) came to earth and lived as a man.
    • He called himself "the son of Man"
    • As a human he had a human name.
    • Jehovah (the Father) had no such need - he never lived as a man on earth.
  • trevor
    trevor

Reading through these threads it seems there is an assumption that prayer must include talking to a Male Deity. Believing that a father figure is going to specifically bless us while ignoring the prayers of millions of others does not make sense. Asking for things may help at a deeper level as we may then work towards what we want to achieve.

My idea of praying is to sit quietly and alter my state of mind and harmonize with the life force and the peace that it contains. To become at one with the creative force. Names and words are unnecessary. In fact once words are introduce we are using the wrong part of our mind. I know there are those that may think My approach is crazy and you are quite at liberty to tell me so.

James Thomas

would understand. I notice he has not posted for some weeks. Either he is on holiday of has given up trying to explain something that cannot be explained with words. If he has left it will be a sad loss to this board.
  • Billygoat
    Billygoat

((((((Katie)))))))

• Ms. Whip
    Ms. Whip
    I don't know what to call the creator anymore. I am practically an atheist at this juncture in my life. However, I would like to believe in God, but I get confused and don't know what to call him, so much of the time I don't address Him in prayer. I am quite gratified with everyone's post here. I usually refer to him as Father. I would like to call him Jehovah, but I am afraid I might want to go back to the Kingdom Hall just to believe in something--so I don't . kazar

the word "jehovah" is a trigger for me. 30 some years as a devoted witness is hard to shake. not long ago, i was in a position where prayer seemed instinctive...i closed my eyes and said "dear... (and i couldn't come up with a comfortable name) " then i opened my eyes. i realized i was on my own. it's a sad thought. i no longer believe in "jehovah" ... as the entire belief structure i held for so long is all wrapped up in that word. i have not found a replacement. i can hold hands with witness relatives while they pray, and bow my head in respect of their beliefs...but, the prayer is meaningless to me. my prayer has been replaced with thoughts of how can "i" cope with a certain situation or how can "i" fix my problem.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    I guess as long as whatever you call him is in a respectful way, on the best of your knowledge, it doesnt matter. Its not going to upset HIM is it?y

You got it! I think God is bigger than that.

Josie

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I don't pray anymore. Just realized that.

I only show respect by lowering my head when others pray. I should pray, though. My faith is so weak these days.

DY

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I haven't used that name for years, basically because of its previous connotations for me.

Most of the time I just commune with the Divine.

If I feel I must address a "person" then it's "Father", as Jesus suggested. Sometimes it's Jesus (more commonly Yahshuah), on occasionally the Spirit.

After all, God is God, right?

(((Katie)))

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    If I were addressing my earthly father, I would not ever call him by his personal name.

Our Homer, who art in Springfield

Selfishness be thy name

In Bart's name,

Amen.....

Ok, in reality.

I do pray. The intention of my prayer dictates to whom I direct it. I no longer use Jehovah, and havent in a very long time. I also almost never prayed while I was "in". If I am praying for the earth and animal kingdom, I pray to Goddess. I have prayed to Jesus and "Our Father". I have prayed requesting assistance from specific ascended personages.

The difficulty I had for a long time is the "in Jesus name" bit. My spiritual delving into native american spirituality - more specifically, Nakota/Lakota/Dakota, I tend to end my prayers these days with "Mitakeye Oassin" or All My Relations.

PS Yeshuah is the Aramaic pronounciation and birth name. Jesus or some similar dirivitive is the Roman name/translation - the State language of the time.

It was facinating watching "The Passion" listening to the Aramaic and catching the latin and being able to rough translate, with my limited Spanish speaking.

Mitakeye Oassin

Your daughter

Brenda

((( Katie )))

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Why would Christians use the name Jehovah on a regular basis? From my very detailed studies over recent months, there seems to be strong evidence that it would be quite unscriptural for the name of Jehovah to be used by Christians in prayer.

Why else has the Divine Name deliberately been omitted from all Christian Scriptures except for one abbreviated reference in the book of Revelation. I would only use the name Yahweh when reading the Old Testament. That was its proper context as the personal name reserved for natural Jews until the arrival of the Messiah.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit