Do you still use Jehovah's name in prayer assuming you still pray?

by JH 110 Replies latest jw friends

• jaffacake
    jaffacake
    Jesus addressed him as father but wanted his name respected or hallowed... He obviously wanted us to use it

Sorry inquirer but I truly believe this is so wrong. Even the JWs recognise that referring to someone's name being hallowed is nothing to do with the spelling, pronunciation or even the name. It means 'good name' his 'reputation'.

Have you read Ray Franz book In Search of Christian Freedom? Or the excellent Tetragrammaton website?

That is the opposite of what the Bible teaches. It was correctly restored to the old testament, but it never occurred in the New Testament. It was very deliberately omitted. To teach us something.

• jaffacake
  • jaffacake
    jaffacake

AN OPEN LETTER TO WITNESSES

Dear Witness reader:

We commend you as an individual, and the Watch Tower Society to which you are affiliated, for your unwavering defense of the divine name in the Hebrew Scriptures. The divine name is written in the best Hebrew manuscripts in at least 6,828 instances. As such, you have faithfully translated God's holy name in your Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament).

From the time of William Tyndale (1494-1536) and the influence of the subsequent King James Version, the English Bible tradition has frequently used LORD in place of the divine name in its Old Testament. The Watch Tower Society has been telling Christendom since before the New World Translation was published in 1950 that we have offended God by removing His holy name from our Old Testament. Please do not stop reminding us of that. We need to listen to the truth you are telling us. More importantly, in true repentance we must translate and publish what God has written in His Word. We must follow the example you set in your own Hebrew Scriptures and reinstate the name of God into our Old Testament.

Thank you for reminding us of our error. Persist until we change.

AN OPEN LETTER TO NON-JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

Dear Reader,

The history of the Church has been inextricably linked to the defense of Scripture. We must object to any distortion of God's written revelation and accept only the best manuscript evidence as the foundation of all English Bible translations. As such, it is entirely appropriate that we demand that the Watch Tower Society publish a Bible that is accurate in its translation of the New Testament Greek manuscripts. We are fully justified in our insistence that the name "Jehovah" not be inserted 237 times into the New World Translation's Christian Scriptures (New Testament). Our position is not an outgrowth of our theology. Rather, it is based on verifiable manuscript evidence showing that the writers of the New Testament used only the Greek word Kurios (Lord) to identify both Yahweh of the Old Testament and Jesus in the New Testament as "Lord." There is no New Testament Greek manuscript evidence of the Divine Name being written in Hebrew letters.

However, if any from outside the Watch Tower's ranks would dare to evaluate the New World Translation's error of inserting "Jehovah" in the "New Testament," we must equally listen to what the Watch Tower Society has long said about the faulty translation process in our own English Bible tradition. We boldly question the historical and textual basis for the use of "Jehovah" 237 times in what we call the New Testament. Why do we so completely fail to see our own error in publishing an Old Testament that has removed God's name 6,828 times by inserting LORD in place of the Divine Name?

With true repentance we must translate and publish without alteration what God has written in His Word. Difficult as it would be to correct almost 600 years of English Bible tradition, we must reinstate the name of God in our Old Testament.

• inquirer
    inquirer

jaffacake --

Sorry inquirer but I truly believe this is so wrong. Even the JWs recognise that referring to someone's name being hallowed is nothing to do with the spelling, pronunciation or even the name. It means 'good name' his 'reputation'.

Have you read Ray Franz book In Search of Christian Freedom? Or the excellent Tetragrammaton website?

That is the opposite of what the Bible teaches. It was correctly restored to the old testament, but it never occurred in the New Testament. It was very deliberately omitted. To teach us something.

Inq --

Well, I refuse to talk about this issue because he says let your name be hallowed? Who! What? Oh! the father's name should be hallowed!

I know about all that stuff about "a good name" for yourself, but it's without a doubt that the father's name should be hallowed and that's it's God's name Jehovah! I was looking at that Scripture last night and I think he was giving ideas of what we should talk about in prayer... I mean he didn't even say "amen" at the end of the prayer -- it was unfinished! His prayer would be different to ours because he wouldn't prayer in Jesus name! BECAUSE HE IS JESUS!

I've read both books. I went and even got the tetragrammaton one printed. I've thought about it and analyzed it and gone through certain sections twice or three times because he does have an interesting discussion, but I just buy what he's saying. He didn't draw to any conclusions in it even! Ray doesn't concern himself with the divine name in Crisis of Conscience! He doesn't talk about the trinity either... so I don't know what that has to do with anything.

I see no wish to discuss this any further, because I've explained my side of the story and you have explained yours and everyone else has too.

• inquirer
    inquirer

jaffacake --

Why would Christians use the name Jehovah on a regular basis? From my very detailed studies over recent months, there seems to be strong evidence that it would be quite unscriptural for the name of Jehovah to be used by Christians in prayer.

Why else has the Divine Name deliberately been omitted from all Christian Scriptures except for one abbreviated reference in the book of Revelation. I would only use the name Yahweh when reading the Old Testament. That was its proper context as the personal name reserved for natural Jews until the arrival of the Messiah.

____

Inq -- Because it was removed. It started to not be used so much hardly at all from about 300 bc and only used in the temple at the time of Christ and a full ban went in force after John the Apostle died. Jesus had to be careful how he use the name and not to be misunderstood. Starting at the time of Ezra, the name was not used "the nations" anymore!

Tell me why does it say "Jah" at revelation 4 times! Why do we give him praise if he is not important still?

Where does it say in the Bible "Oh don't use God's name in the NT?" ...I mean how is it unscriptural to use YHWH? It was written 1000's of times! You've got to be kidding!

Greek Scribes didn't understand the concept of the divine name, that is why they didn't write it! When it was largely gentiles that took over. Even in the Talmud it talks about the divine name been taken out of the Greek Scriptures (NT.)

Now, I'll ask you this question. Have you read the book "The name of God Yehowah" by Gerard Gertoux? He talks about all these issues in this book!

I think your reasoning is unscriptural. Call him "Jehovah" until 1 AD. ...Hmmm better call him Jesus now, sorry about that! Sounds obsurd to me!

• inquirer
    inquirer

ozziepost --

Because:

* He (Jesus) came to earth and lived as a man.
    * He called himself "the son of Man"
    * As a human he had a human name.
    * Jehovah (the Father) had no such need - he never lived as a man on earth.

___

Inq -- But why does "Michael" and "Gabriel" have names then? They are angels in heaven! In the Catholic Bible there is an angel called Raphael. He is an angel to them as well!

If you went up to the moon, would someone call you a title instead? I don't think people would be saying "do you read me Ozziepost." That would use your proper name! It doesn't matter where you live/reside you still have a name, as long as there is enough oxygen you can say your name a zillion times!

I think it's your own philosophy rather than the Bible with your reasoning in my opinion...

But there are a lot of people like yourself that wouldn't use his name in prayer and I explained this in another post on this thread.

• inquirer
    inquirer

...By the way, did you know that Satan (not even once!) uses God's name? Not even once!

I find that VERY interesting...

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I have to admitt I haven't read every single post on this thread as I am getting tired, but I just wanted to say something that is extremely important to me .

Long before our family became JWs I was involved in a couple of Churches when I was young, I would go alone every Sunday and when my Grandma found out I was going to different religions, she got upset with my mother and father. Because she wanted me to go with her every Sunday, but dad wouldn't drive me up to Grandma's home. I learned the bus route and went to meet her every Sunday morning or Saturday and stay over night. The reason I am telling you this story is because I believe in God. Sure I didn't know God had a name until JWs came into our lives.

I can say that I was a deeply religious person when I was young. So when I hear or see someone say something awful or disrespect God's name I get upset. God is ment to be revered. Mocking his name or taking his name in vain is something I haven't done or will do. I know that most of you are kidding, but just if you could take into consideration that some of us still highly revere the name of God or God with much respect and love.

I just wanted really for some of you to see my prespective. I am not wanting to hurt anybodies feelings but just remind you that I do get hurt and sensitive when some mock God or Jehovah. At one time each and everyone of you believed in God and called him Jehovah. That name doesn't belong soley to the WTS, many other religions use the name of God. I am not saying that each time I pray I use the name of God, but I do from time to time as I know that is His name.

So please don't take offense to how I feel and I certainly wouldn't want to hurt anyone of you because your all very important to me.

love Orangefatcat

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

It's just my feelings.. but the Holy Name of God is precious to me. When I pray, I say Holy Father, and I mean Jesus, too. I embrace the Trinity whole heartedly. When I say God, I mean Jesus, and God and the Holy Spirit. I don't use Jehovah's name anymore because for me that is a retro-problem. I say Holy Lord, and I say GOD, because those are titles of importance ..Jehovah is a name invented by a religion that has no respect for Jesus' death for his people. It makesme ill..they have no awareness of what he went through..

I pray..l oh Lord do I pray..

CG

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

By the way, did you know that Satan (not even once!) uses God's name? Not even once!

LOL. did you know, satan (according to the bible) didn't say much more than 10 sentences in all his millennialong life?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit