Do you still use Jehovah's name in prayer assuming you still pray?

by JH 110 Replies latest jw friends

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    If I were addressing my earthly father, I would not ever call him by his personal name. I would know it, respect it, and have deep regard for the importance of it to my earthly father. But I would never use it in personal address.

Same here. I have a closer relationship to God now, than I ever did before in my life. When I pray, I say "Heavenly Father". I remember the one time I called my dad by his first name. I was quickly shut down from doing that again. LOL! Honestly, I think it's disrespectful for a child to do that.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes I use Jehovahs name but pray in Jesus name

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

That is what I meant, STILLAJWXELDER you just stated it more plainly then I did.

thanks.

orangefatcat

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    I would not ever call him by his personal name. I would know it, respect it, and have deep regard for the importance of it to my earthly father. But I would never use it in personal address.

Spot on! Also to be remembered is that the name "Jehovaj" is not the only name for the god of the Bible - so which one would you choose?

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

when i call my dad on the phone, i don't say hi ***... i say hi dad. i do this out of respect. so why should i disrespect my heavenly father as to call him by his name, much less a name that is poor translated and overly anglicized???

bethel

• kazar
    kazar

I don't know what to call the creator anymore. I am practically an atheist at this juncture in my life. However, I would like to believe in God, but I get confused and don't know what to call him, so much of the time I don't address Him in prayer. I am quite gratified with everyone's post here. I usually refer to him as Father. I would like to call him Jehovah, but I am afraid I might want to go back to the Kingdom Hall just to believe in something--so I don't .

• Undecided
    Undecided

No. Occasionally I give thanks at a meal because my wife ask me to. Sometimes I wonder what I would say if I was starving, curse him because I didn't have any food?

I do think about a God, but wonder what he's all about if he is really out there someplace.

Ken P.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

I have never stopped believing in God, but for the longest time I stopped praying. I pray again now, but I don't use the name Jehovah, for the same reasons Billygoat stated. Also because I never felt that Jehovah heard my prayers. I feel much more 'heard' praying to Almighty God or Father.

GGG

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

Yes. It goes like this. "Dear Jehovah, now that I know you by your real name, I can say you're a douche. You killed off a bunch of Cannanite babies just to clear land for your chosen people. You flooded the world when you were angry. You even killed your own son, who may or may not have been yourself trying to gain cheap sympathy from mankind after they were sick of your antics. Kiss my ass, your former servant, Lee."

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

I don't pray at all these days. I did for a while when I first left, but I didn't address God by any name then, I guess I just wanted to put anything to do with the jw religion well behind me

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit