The Star Spangled Banner

by rebel8 151 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

Sometimes I start debates when I never intended to. Oops, I did it again.

Thats just how i feel about our flag. How do you feel about yours?

In the real US, we don't have flags everywhere. We have them in government buildings, which includes schools. We have them in sports auditoriums. That's pretty much it. There was a rash of flag displaying after 9/11, but it's trickling down to normal again these days. I drove around yesterday and saw a flag displayed on maybe one out of twenty homes, which is about par for the course on a flag-displaying holiday.

I don't think displaying the flag (or patriotism in general) is an anti-every-other-country act. My local ball team plays Canadian teams all the time. They play the Canadian national anthem in our stadium when those teams are here, followed by The Star Spangled Banner. Everyone stands. It is treated exactly the same as when our own anthem is being played--everyone is expected to stand and be quiet, no one can enter the stadium 'til it's over, no food sales, etc.

How do I feel about it? I really don't care at all if people want to display their flag. It's a harmless piece of cloth. I see no problem in displaying it any more than displaying a Christmas tree or whatever. It's a symbol that's meaningful to that particular person.

After 9/11, people went a bit nuts with putting flags everywhere. I can see how someone (not me) might conclude displaying so many flags would dilute its meaning. What I really think happened is people wanted so badly to show support for the troops and their feelings against terrorism, they had no method except to display flags. It made them feel better to outwardly show they were against terrorism. I see no harm in that.

• Princess
    Princess
    However, the Star Spangled Banner is a very stiring song, much better than the dirge we have about the old bag !

Wow, that's about the nicest thing you've said.

Ross: I knew the composition of the flag without looking it up. What exactly, was your point?

Why are non-Americans so threatened by US patriotism?

We took the kids to watch the fireworks last night. It was awesome...except for the part where they played Glory Hallelujah. I don't need to hear about the "coming of the lord" at a public gathering for Independence Day. It was nestled in between some lovely patriotic ditties. Oh, and the goober they had sing the National Anthem sang "the rocket's red flare" instead of glare and "for the land of the free" instead of "o'er". How hard is it to learn the words when you are going to sing it in front of thousands of people who actually do know the words?

• lilbit
    lilbit

LOL Kwin I grew up in atlanta and I still think that every time I hear the anthem.

lilbit

Edit: Princess If Im not mistaken the glory halelujah song your talking about is the Battle Hymn of the Republic and it was the Union States anthem at the time of the civil war. If you live anywhere up north that makes sense because they always play Dixie down south on the 4th

• sleepy
    sleepy

"I drove around yesterday and saw a flag displayed on maybe one out of twenty homes, which is about par for the course on a flag-displaying holiday." Splutttttt!!!!!!!! I almost choked on my coffee Please I don't want to start.....

• upside/down
    upside/down
    Please I don't want to start.....

Start what?

u/d

• sleepy
    sleepy

Its the attitude guys.If some goodish looking person walks down the steet and shouts out "look I'm so good looking," we would all take the piss. All nations have flaws in them, in the way they run and the societies created by the govermental systems and the general beliefs of the populance.What pisses people of is unfounded boasts of "we are the best" variety.Two "bests" of the USA I can think of of the top of my head are richest single nation (european union is richer:) and highest murder rate in the western world.Doesn't do well to boast or we will have fun picking out the flaws.

• Princess
    Princess
    Edit: Princess If Im not mistaken the glory halelujah song your talking about is the Battle Hymn of the Republic and it was the Union States anthem at the time of the civil war. If you live anywhere up north that makes sense because they always play Dixie down south on the 4th

You are totally right. I was thinking it had a patriotic feel but couldn't place it. It's all the Jesus stuff that threw me! Thanks.

Its the attitude guys.If some goodish looking person walks down the steet and shouts out "look I'm so good looking," we would all take the piss. All nations have flaws in them, in the way they run and the societies created by the govermental systems and the general beliefs of the populance.What pisses people of is unfounded boasts of "we are the best" variety.Two "bests" of the USA I can think of of the top of my head are richest single nation (european union is richer:) and highest murder rate in the western world.Doesn't do well to boast or we will have fun picking out the flaws.

Interesting. Aren't you proud of your home? I honestly do not think I live in the best nation. I am proud of my home and will defend it. That's all it's about to me. The original post was about being proud if I remember correctly. I was surprised at how it was jumped all over and criticized. Did the same thing happen to the Canada Day thread?

• sleepy
    sleepy

Yeh I think th UK is a great place to live, I just don't go around boasting about it.....usually. Ultimutly there is no "best" country different countries will suit different types of people.I can think of a ton of things I like about Britian that I don't think I'll find else where, but over countries offer things the UK can't.Like Sun for example. When someone boasts about their country though it comes across like this "Glad I don't live in YOUR country", when people call a country "the land of the free" it sounds like "the only country thats free"

• upside/down
    upside/down

I love the entire planet...however...

"Glad I don't live in YOUR country"

I certainly do feel this way... as do most people from any given country.

Home is where the heart is. Bloom where you're planted.

u/d (of the country with people from EVERYWHERE class)

• sleepy
    sleepy

"I certainly do feel this way... as do most people from any given country." Thats a very childish way to think, don't you think, just like being born into a religion I thinking its the ONLY true one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit