The Star Spangled Banner

by rebel8 151 Replies latest jw friends

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    But why you say 'I am proud to be american". In what way is your country better then for example my country?

Because it's H-O-M-E, the 2nd best four-letter word in the English language (behind L-O-V-E). America isn't better than any other country .... people outside of the States should be equally as proud of their homes. When I travel south of the border, I'm always glad to get back on U.S. soil because it's home (even though my house is 150 miles away).

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

"My ancestors weren't even on the continent at the time."

Mine were, for roughly 145 years by the time papers were being signed in Philadelphia and for 180 years by the time Francis Scott Key penned his poem. (True, there's one shoot of the family tree that was here for a a few thousand years before that, but most emmigrated from Europe.)

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

"does the child who doesn't salute get called names?"

No, but my son might get a smack upside the head if he doesn't do it correctly. If he's in his Cub Scout uniform, he is to salute in one manner. If he is not in uniform, he is to salute in another. After four years of being a Scout, I should hope he gets it right. Ditto for standing at attention during the Star Spangled Banner.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

"I am always impressed at Scotch"

I've never been impressed by Scotch. I'm a bourbon drinker.

:-P

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

"I grew up in the generation wherein we read a verse from the Bible (King James), sang America The Beautiful (to the tune of God Save the Queen/King) and Saluted the Flag, every morning in school."

Our elementary school started each morning with revelry playing from a phonograph pointed out the library window as the flag was hoisted on the pole, followed by the pledge of allegiance and a rousing chorus of "Jesus Loves Me" sung by the student body.

Due to various legal arguments over the separation of church and state in the past 30 or so years, I doubt that the principal is still leading students in "Jesus Loves Me" at that school these days.

• Simon
    Simon

I think nationalism is confused with patriotism a lot in America and a lot of the time the better 'freedom' is more imaginary than real.

However, the Star Spangled Banner is a very stiring song, much better than the dirge we have about the old bag !

• upside/down
    upside/down
    a lot of the time the better 'freedom' is more imaginary than real.

Finally you're talking sense.

And speaking some "truth"...

u/d (of the up too late class)

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Then allow me my hallucination, please.

Dan-O, of the "can still carry a .357 Magnum in his pickup truck while bemoaning parliament and the prime minister and pays only $2.18 per gallon for gasoline" class

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

Being on message boards for the past four years, I've heard so much bullsh;t regarding American citizens that it's unbelievable. Most people get their "information" about Americans from movies and/or media bias.

listening to your president talking about "the finest people", hearing senators talking about "better kill them arabs than get one american killed" and seeing that very president elected over again, seing those senators still in place, and remembering all those demonstrants insulting france and germany for not going to war, i don't think it's all bullsh;t and lies.

i don know however, that american != american. if you reelect a president like this, you can be damn shure what the rest of the world thinks about the mayority of americans. doesn't mean that you are one of the r&f though.

as for patriotism: it's probably one of the most stupid ideas on earth. how can one be proud of a country (s)he only was born in, nothing more, nothing less... it's not an accomplishment one achieves to be proud of. i just don't get it.

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

But I would never not say "I am proud to be from belgium".

That sounds like: I am proud to be white (or black) or proud to be a man (or woman). Just sounds very wrong.

that sums it up pretty well. there's a huge difference between loving a place and being happy to be there (that's got nothing to do with patriotism btw) on one hand and being PROUD of ones homecountry - it just doesn't make sense.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit