The Star Spangled Banner

by rebel8 151 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

Sorry I missed all the fun on this thread.

Maybe some folks have so lost contact with their British roots that they don't realise that we all take the p*ss out of one anothers countries, over here (and have done for centuries - maybe that's something the Puritans didn't take with them ). We do it until it hurts, and then do it some more.

I am very much in touch with my British roots, since I am constantly searching for clues on one ancestor or another. All seem to be from either England or Ireland too. There is a little Native American thrown in for just a little spice.

I love my country, but wouldn't mind living in another one for awhile. It's all what you are used to. I haven't traveled outside of this country very much, but I know I could live happily in England, Scotland, or in Canada. Poland? No. Malaysia? Definitely NOT! I guess I like capitalism.

• Princess
    Princess

maybe that's something the Puritans didn't take with them

Of course they did. Here we do it to each other's states.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    Here we do it to each other's states.

ROFLMAO, how true is that?

J

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Of course they did. Here we do it to each other's states.

True and the Northerners do it to the Southerners and vice versa. The city people make fun of the country people who think city people are sissies. Georgians tell Alabama jokes and southern Louisianans call northern Louisianans yankees. It's good natured fun, except for the north south thing. That gets kind of old.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

"Here we do it to each other's states."

Well, yeah ... but all myth has some root in fact. For example, we in Indiana know that the Maumee River flows east because Ohio sucks.

• sleepy
    sleepy

"its the attitude guys.If some goodish looking person walks down the steet and shouts out "look I'm so good looking," we would all take the piss. You quoted me saying there was a flag on 1 out of 20 homes I saw, then said the above in response to it" No I almost choked on my coffee in responce to what you said....because 1 in 20 is loooooooooads of homes. The rest of my statement was in reply to the thread in general.For some reason my posts get bunched up into one paragraph must be because I use a Mac.

• iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish

Hi LT,

No probs matey, I couln't resist asking the question though. With our union flag I can remember that the diagonal red bars are ofset in an anti-clockwise sense, but I forget that they mustn't meet the other red bars in the middle. Hey, look at that, I'm a flag nerd

Now I'm about the definition of a fluff poster with not much serious to say usually, but even I'm getting sick of the drip drip drip america bashing that goes on on this board. So for the record, Americans - I think you f'***ing rock.

ig (of the British English and proud class).

• LittleToe
    LittleToe
    Here we do it to each other's states.

Ok, so you DO understand. Thank gawd for that. Well, just imagine this as an International version of that, and you'll find it a lot easier to stomach. Some folks say that Britain is the 51st State, anyhow

I absolutely love the States (and more importantly the people), but I can't resist taking the p*ss on rare occasion. Some, of course, make it their life's work

ig (of the British English and proud class).

There, there, there, dear. Take a tablet, and you'll feel so much better in the morning

LT, of the "I aint burning no flag" class

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

AM SO GLAD I'M NOT FROM THERE

that's a difference. theres a difference to love the place you live in and prefer to live there and being PROUD of living there. there's absolutely no single reason to be PROUD of being born in some place. it's not your accomplishment.

it's actually ok to be patriotic, nationalistic, and/or have pride in your country.

is it? you know, besides lack of education and poverty, this is probably the number one reason for problems in this world.

It's really sad when people can't just have the graciousness to say, "I'm glad you are happy to be an American as I am happy to be an *insert country of origin here*"

noone complains about someone being happy about the place s/he lives in. it's just the ignorance of being PROUD about it.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Nawwww - the number one reason for trouble in the world is a lack of diplomacy. Some don't have to call it "pride" to come across as completely up themselves - a word to the wise...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit