The Star Spangled Banner

by rebel8 151 Replies latest jw friends

• upside/down
    upside/down
    Of course there's a thin line between a little pride and going over the top with gloating, but a few fireworks never hurt anyone

Pretty much sums it up.

u/d (of the has Roman ancestry, but who gives a flyin f*ck class)

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Actually I lied. People get injured by fireworks every year. Don't try this at home, kids!

Sleepy:Since when have the Welsh had a pedestal to stand on?

Are ya coming to the BBQ on Saturday?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Jeannie:
    I don't think you need to qualify it at all. Just own it, without going over the top I don't see why any national representative should feel ill at ease. The greatest irony being that the majority of posters on this board are American. What are you guys so embarrassed about? It seems almost akin to mentioning the War in front of a German.

If you're happy and you know it clap your hands...

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

LT:

Sadly, many of the people who were here and did actively defend America and her politics have either been censured of grown tired of being vilified and left. Owning our patriotism sometimes leads to losing our 'privileges'; that is the problem.

I stay in spite of the America bashing because this board is not about politics, it is about recovery from the Witnesses. It still is difficult to see threads like this and know that if we speak up we get lambasted as ignorant, arrogant, world-raping monsters.

We know there is a lot wrong in our country. Our business and social needs are way out of balance. Our education system is falling apart. We have been duped as a people by our leaders on more than one occasion and are now involved in a huge mess in Iraq, a mess that is costing our allies and ourselves the lives of our sons and daughters. Don’t you think we know that? We do know that. At this point, we have a lot of messes to clean up, if we are able to at all in my lifetime I don’t know.

That being said though, I love my country just as you love yours. There are many good things here, just as there are many good things in your country.

Why can’t I simply say, "I love America" without some uncouth person chiming in? It is as insulting as if I was to say, "I love my mother" and having someone say, "Yeah? I think she’s a big fat pig! What do you think of that?"

Ah, well...

J

• sleepy
    sleepy

"Why can’t I simply say, "I love America" without some uncouth person chiming in?" Why is someone whos disagrees's with those type of sentiments uncoth? Little Toe"since when have the Welsh had a pedestal to stand on? "Lets recall how did Scotland do in the 6 nations........hmmm I'm be in Sunny France next week with all those froggy people.Got to love the French revolution.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    Why is someone whos disagrees's with those type of sentiments uncoth?

How can you disagree with someone saying, "I love America"? It is a statement of pride. I'm not even talking about disagreements, I'm talking about open insults which usually follow a person's stating any kind of pride in this country.

J

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Generally Americans are known to have thin skins where their country is concerned. Some folks get a rise out of needling that. Need I say any more?

Sleepy:
    If we'd got "free" a little more, we may have made a few more tries, but alas it was not to be

• Carol
    Carol

Sleepy, I know I'm new to this board, so I'm not familiar with all of the "players" yet.....but the one thing I've noticed over the last week of reading the posts and posting is that several of the folks from the other side of the pond like to bash those of us from the colonies. Rebel8 started this topic as a way of discussion bout our celebration of our independence! I'm sorry we're the ones that got away!

There is much I don't like about the US, but there's more I do like! Thank you Littletoe for your support!

and Sleepy, why don't you do just that....go back to sleep and stop trying to make every statement so controversial. We're all here because we're happy to have escaped the WTB&TS's domination. If you don't like this topic......start one of your own.

God Bless America and God Save The Queen!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

So, do you know how many stars and stripes are on your flag then?

Iggy:I forgot to answer ya - I wasn't ignoring ya, honest!

Mike brought up the subject of the Union Jack a couple of months ago. That having been said, I knew it was a composite of the Scottish (not the one with the lion), Welsh (not the one with the dragon) and English (not the one with the w*nk*r) flags

• Princess
    Princess
    "Glad I don't live in YOUR country" I certainly do feel this way... as do most people from any given country." Is what you said, and I feel there is something wrong with THAT sentiment.

Thanks to upside/down for taking credit for the above statement. I did not say it. Welcome Carol.

Thank you Littletoe for your support!

Really? He seems to be playing both sides at the moment, but he does enjoy stirring the pot and skipping out....probably whistling or something. BTW Ross, what was your point about the flag? As I mentioned before, I know exactly how many stars and stripes are on the flag, why do you care? Trying to test our patriotism? Or criticize the fact that we love our country but don't know how to draw the flag?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit