The Star Spangled Banner

by rebel8 151 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Heathen, you can still burn the flag here, thank goodness.

Check out this link: http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/06/22/congress.flagburning.ap/

From the above article.

"But Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-New York, said, "If the flag needs protection at all, it needs protection from members of Congress who value the symbol more than the freedoms that the flag represents."

• Gozz
    Gozz

liibit, that's quite sad.

• lilbit
    lilbit

Whats sad?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I believe sometimes that when teachers of JW children, try to force them to pledge the flag, it's more religious prejudice than it is patriotism. Like Americans are the only people of the earth to show this kind of intolerance.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem
    I do not feel my country is better than yours or most any other country. I am happy I was born in a country that is mostly free and that I have never had to worry about starving to death or losing one of my children to a curable disease. Im also happy that I have never had to live under a tyranical dictator or be treated like a peice of dirt simply because I am a woman. So when I say " I am proud to be an American" I am not putting anyone else down. I am just being thankful for all the good things I do have.

Lilbit

Ok, lilbit, agreed. Hope everybody would feel like that.

just the expression sounds a bit strange to me (us here).

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Ok, lilbit, agreed. Hope everybody would feel like that.

just the expression sounds a bit strange to me (us here).

You never said, I love Belgium?

• georgefoster
    georgefoster
    liibit, that's quite sad.

I don't get it. Lilbit's happy to be an American. I was aware that America is not so popular around the world. But I expected a little more insight from the non-Americans on this board.

Obviously, America is a huge country with extreme diversity. As such, you cannot stereotype Americans. Most people who live here are glad they live here. Otherwise, they're free to leave. Likewise, people from all over the world immigrate here to pursue the many opportunities available.

Perhaps the fear of American "imperialism" is what concerns the world. That's an irrational fear. America has enough nukes to obliterate half the world, yet we go into Iraq and tip-toe around for years just to liberate a tiny country. The war is very unpopular here and it will be a long time before another U.S. President has the balls to start another conflict.

Anyway, there won't be any self loathing at my house today. Happy 4th.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem
    This is Bull sh*t. You don't live here. You don't know how most of us feel. You only know of the vocal minority who are always screaming the loudest.

Flyinghighnow,

Actualy I lived there for some time. I did like a lot of things in the states actually. Of course not all people are the same. But met a lot (a minority though) of very patriotic people. The we are better though is common. I really did not like that. I know that far from all people feel like that. But the politics is surely trying to influence people in thinking this way.

Your post gives you away as a YOU or US thinker. When you put others down, you elevate yourself and that is a form of bragging.

I totally do not agree with you on this... I do not think I am better, nor do I think my country is better. I am not proud of my country. It just happen to be the place where I am born.

I see many things wrong with America. I see many things right. Most Americans feel the same way. I am very tired of all the America bashing that goes on on this board. If you don't like the policies, say so. Stop making sweeping generalizations. We don't deserve them as you don't deserve them.

Well,I was talking about policies actually. I do not want to make any generalizations, and if some feel that I did, I am sorry.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem
    You never said, I love Belgium?

I did say this maybe. I also said, I love america, I love africa etc. There are many places I love.

But I would never not say "I am proud to be from belgium".

That sounds like: I am proud to be white (or black) or proud to be a man (or woman). Just sounds very wrong.

• heathen
    heathen

I can say I'm glad to live here for the most part but that I don't agree with the politics I've seen lately . I know many countries that I would be executed just for my opinions but so far hasn't happend . The government has killed over difference of opion tho .

The fire works as I'm being told can be fired out of city limits but can't be fired on my property because it's in city limits . True it's been a long dry spell and it's probly a good idea to discourage youngsters from setting any type of fire .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit