The Star Spangled Banner

by rebel8 151 Replies latest jw friends

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem
    love my country, but wouldn't mind living in another one for awhile. It's all what you are used to. I haven't traveled outside of this country very much, but I know I could live happily in England, Scotland, or in Canada. Poland? No. Malaysia? Definitely NOT! I guess I like capitalism.

Malaysia is very livable actually. And quite capatilistic and free actualy.

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

Nawwww - the number one reason for trouble in the world is a lack of diplomacy.

you don't believe that, do you? radicals (cults, nationalists, patriots) are pretty diplomatic. they have to be.

a word to the wise...

wisdom is relative ;-)

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Why do these things always degenerate into, "America and Americans are *insert insult or snide remark here*"

It's really sad when people can't just have the graciousness to say, "I'm glad you are happy to be an American as I am happy to be an *insert country of origin here*"

I love this board, but there are many times when I feel very unwelcome here simply because of the fact that I am an American and love my country.

J

I feel very sorry that you feel that way. Most people are americans on the board I think. I think they are very welcome. I do not have any think against americans actually. When we say america is this or that, we do not talk about americans in general but abaout the politics. And I do like America. I like most of the people there, and lived there for some time, which was very enjoyable. I think in many ways america is betetr then my country. In many ways also it isn't in my opinion. There is just a difference in mentality about patriotism. Here it is viewed much more negative then in the states. Like in the states the xpersiion "Made in america' is viewed as positive. We would feel "made in belgium" as much more negative or neutral. Many feel it is better to by products from poor countries as a way of helping them. Maybe it is because in europeans travel a lot more, or countries interact more closely that our view is different. Of course in the Media (tv etc) and politics there is a lot of "america is the best" mentality. Maybe a lot of people feel threathened by this. Especially comming from a religion who always said 'we are the best', some do not like maybe as some media in a country does the same. Danny
  • FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    No I almost choked on my coffee in responce to what you said....because 1 in 20 is loooooooooads of homes. The rest of my statement was in reply to the thread in general.

You know, the display of flags on homes and government buildings began with independence from England. It was a way of saying, "Hey, you don't own us anymore. We ARE NOT colonized any longer." That is where the practice began. And the practice has stuck, just like your royal family has stuck. They don't rule anymore, but people like to keep a bit of the past to stay connected to their roots. It's a form of nostalgia, even though some may not realize this.

but even I'm getting sick of the drip drip drip america bashing that goes on on this board. So for the record, Americans - I think you f'***ing rock.

ig (of the British English and proud class).

Thank you for stepping up and saying so. We think you f***uing rock, too. I love the British. Have ever since the British Invasion and Twiggy.

Some don't have to call it "pride" to come across as completely up themselves - a word to the wise...

That's so true."A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

"Made in america' is viewed as positive. We would feel "made in belgium" as much more negative or neutral. Many feel it is better to by products from poor countries as a way of helping them.

It's possible and likely that you don't understand why Made in America products are so important to us. Do you realize that our manufacturing jobs are leaving America daily by the thousands to third world countries? Michigan, the state in which I live once had a thriving economy with manufacturing as its base. Companies are packing up their factories and shipping operations south of the border and to China, India and others daily. Why? Because in those countries, with their economies running the way they do, people can live off being paid several times less than we can here. It's much cheaper for US companies to base their operations in other countries. Because of this, Flint, Michigan is now at nearly a 50 % jobless rate. The automobile manufacturing plants have left Flint.

So everyday America bleeds her jobs to remote parts of the world. Thousands and maybe millions of Americans have lost their jobs because of this. Some people have given years of their lives to companies and then lose their jobs, health insurance and more. Michigan now has the highest jobless rate in the nation. We've been hit very hard.

If no one here bought products made outside the USA for a while, perhaps American companies woud get the message that greed is hurting America's citizens. So yes, some people do look for Made in the USA stickers on products. And they try to buy mostly USA products, not to hurt poorer countries, but to keep America from becoming poor herself.

America does send a lot of Aid to the rest of the world.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

This is not really true. Actually America is one of the developed countries that sends one of the lowest percentages of the national product as aid to the undeveloped countries.

I do understand the problem of losing Jobs that go abroad. This is always a dilema of course. I also face this problem by the way. But sometimes I think that the people working now need it more then me.

Anyway I was just describing the difference in feeling here compared to america.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    No I almost choked on my coffee in responce to what you said....because 1 in 20 is loooooooooads of homes

Sleepy, I guess I should have clarified. I meant in my small suburb there were only a few flags up.

LT, What can I say--you're cracking me up. I guess I didn't realize it's common for people to criticize each others' countries as much as they do the US. I've only been participating in internet forums for a year or two, and it does seem there's a lot of anti-US sentiment out there. But maybe it's as you said, they're critical of other countries too.

I do think there is some state vs. state sentiment in the US, but it seems people are less vocal about it. Of course, I live smack dab in the center of my state, so maybe I don't have the opportunity to notice it as much.

• upside/down
    upside/down

So I just had a thought...

What if they put a wall up around every country that was inpenetrable? Everyone had to stay put and do with whatever they had...no imports..no exports.

You had to make do with what you had... Who do you think would have the best lot?

It wasn't that long ago when there was no "global" economy and people seemed to make do with what they had and it was no big deal. Some people never left the county they were born in. Now you can have a bumper crop...and still be broke, b/c the rest of the planet had a bumper crop too.... and your crop is now worthless. Coversely you can have a drought, locusts etc... and come out smelling like a rose.... if everyone elses crops do poorly too....higher prices.

I like what Albert Einstien said...I don't know what weapons will be used in the next war...but I do know what we'll be using in the war after it...sticks and stones.

Bloom where you're planted...

u/d (of the tribal class)

• Carol
    Carol

After sitting here over the last couple of days, reading the 7 pages of postings....I just gotta say...I LOVE THIS BOARD! It is so nice to be able to discuss all these differant subjects without being told I'm being untheocratic!

I've promised by daughter (she's the 17 year old) a trip to England in 2006 as a reward if she does well this year in school (yeh I know it's bribery, but I'll do almost anything to keep her in school). Maybe by that time I'll know some of you a little better and we can get together for a drink or two!

And yes, the North vs the South thing in the US is getting old, take it from a Rebel, born in New Jersey..just south of the Mason-Dixon line! I've always said I'm a damned Yankee with a Rebel's heart!

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

carol, you are being untheocratic. when was the last time you shared an upbuilding comment in the meetings? when was the last time you studied spiritual food, presented in literature by the watchtower, bible and tract society of pensylvania?

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

This is not really true. Actually America is one of the developed countries that sends one of the lowest percentages of the national product as aid to the undeveloped countries.

I've looked at the statistics on this one from several sources, and all I can think is "Too bad. So, we as a nation donate a smaller percentage of our GDP to aid the nightmares of the world. We still donate a huge number of dollars, and as we were told about two thousands years ago 'The poor will always be with you.'

We do it within our own country as well. We aid the poor here. But the definition of "poor" keeps expanding. There will always be a percentage of the populatiion who are 'behind the curve'. The average family here who might still meet the 'poverty' profile owns at least two color TVs and at least one automobile and may even own their own home. But we still call them poor. And some think we should do more to help them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit