What does your name MEAN?

by RichieRich 170 Replies latest jw friends

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Frankiespeakin is quite easy to see means frankly-speaking. I don't like to beat around the bush, and usually try to find the most simple way to express myself, which often leads me into trouble in real life.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    t.i.j.k.m.o. explained

Post 44 of 1370
    since 17-Mar-05

44 y 6 m 27 d

my favourite band for a long time now is called Marillion...not big in usa...bigger in uk and bigger still in europe...i'm sure that the songwriter had been through something similar to myself as many of the songs reflect the exact same feelings and frustrations as me..and many a night i would put on a cd and cry myself to sleep....one of my all time favourite lines in a song..which i wish id written is- When you list all the qualities that you despise..and you realise..you're describing yourself...

Anyway on an album called-Holidays in Eden-(sic)..there is a song called-100 nights- and one verse reads this way:-

They invite me to their gatherings

In the finer parts or town

They seem attracted to my indifference

The Irony Just Knocks Me Out........which = T.I.J.K.M.O

My bestest friend and i used to say this to each other all the time whenever something ironic happened..he was a younger version of me and we were both fascinated by the eccentricities of the english language...aswell as having so many other things in common..music sport meeting parts quick builds etc etc.....and this is especially poignant as someone spread a horrible rumour that we had engaged in homosexual activity (sorry you alternative lifestylers....but it just wasnt true and is therefore slanderous)..and the elders chose to believe not the rumour because they knew that wasnt true but that i had started it in an attempt to distract from my own misdemeanours...how sad is that...well not as sad as my friend choosing to believe it too......god i miss him

So there you have it...bit of an anti-climax eh

How many anti-climaxes does it take to change a light bulb.............................................one

anyway a classic example of tijkmo is this conversation i had with my mother when she said i was on the road to becoming a victim of the devil because i couldnt get over the way i had been treated...i said-think about this....the devil told me he was out to get me..he didnt try to hide that..he was going to keep tempting me until i succombed.....j. told me i wouldnt be tempted beyond what i could bear but i would be shown a way out..and even if i made a mistake i would be forgiven on the basis of repentance and i would never be abandoned but i would be helped by a loving organization with kind merciful princes ruling for justice itself.....so i asked...who told the truth

Her response...well you cant have been truly repentant

tijkmo

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Well this is the first time I opened this thread, what an interesting read! I haven't spent any time choosing a name for this site, just used one I have used for years, Gretchen. Gretchen is my alter-ego, my wild side *w*... Every introvert needs one of those!

Sherry, my real name, means "beloved".

Sherry

• bonnzo
    bonnzo

this is the coolest thread i've read in a long time bonnzo- creative spelling of the GREATEST ROCK DRUMMER INT THE GREATEST ROCK BAND EVER-LED ZEPPELIN. sorry for shouting --i get carried away sometimes when i'm drinking.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

One time I was grocery shopping with a couple of Irish boys who were visiting for a while. Anyways we were in the fruit and veg section and the first thing they saw were all these peaches. They decided then that my name should be Miss Peaches. I love the name.

Looking back on it I discovered the reason why they felt the name was fitting... dirty irish boys!

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

Richie -
    Great thread. I'd been wanting to do this for a while but just never got to it.

When I first registered here, I was 'I_Dare' because I needed a nick and was nervous and couldn't think of one. Also, it was the answer to a question going on in my head: Do I DARE register to an apostate site?? (I really wanted to see what the 'Private' sections said because so much info was already accessible in the open sections.) My answer, of course, was: I dare.

Later that week, I was reading an article and it made reference to a latin term 'Aude Sapere' and explained that it meant 'Dare to Know; Dare to have Knowledge/Widsom. I thought that was such a fitting nick for this site because all of us Dared to Know the truth about the truth.

Thanks again for such a nice thread...!!
    -Aude.

BTW - Does anyone know the phonetic pronunciation of my nick? I kinda like to know....

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

My name means 'bald guy with profuse body hair and voracious sexual appetite'.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    Aude_Sapere wrote:
    Does anyone know the phonetic pronunciation of my nick? I kinda like to know

I'm no latin scholar, but from my limited knowledge I'm going to say it would be something like AW-day saw-PEAR-eh.

the_classicist (among others) could probably give a more accurate answer.

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

Euph -
    That's pretty close to what I've been thinking. But I have no latin training.

I'm hoping it's NOT: OWD Sap' er ray

lol
    Classicist, anyone??
    What is the latin pronunciation of Aude Sapere?

-Aude.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

I think it speaks to the opposing duality that is me.....lacking in belief for as long as I can remember(practically atheist)....but at the same time fascinated with the notion of the spiritual, and having a desire to "enlightenment" be it genuinely spiritual or just more insight into human nature/the human condition.

I'm also very short, and would probably be mistaken for an Ewok if I were just to wear swimming trunks. A slimmer one though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit