What does your name MEAN?

by RichieRich 170 Replies latest jw friends

• Sith
    Sith

My name is Robert, but my friends call me Robbie. You all can call me whatever you like. I'd prefer Robbie

I chose "Sith" because it's my way to thumb my nose at the DUmBs. As we went our separate directions, my JW ex-wife explained to me that I was turning to the dark side, as I slid away from the Borg. She said that I was Anakin, becoming Darth Vader. That analogy still makes me smile.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Cool topic...

Hmmm. Makes me wonder. Why DID I pick this particular forum name?...Any ideas? Can anybody out there help me get to know myself better?

I have read 3 different definitions of my given name (Megan)...Strong; Strange; and Pearl.

~Merry (of the "afraid to think to much about it" class)

• talesin
    talesin

My name talesin, is taken from a tale of the Arthurian legend which focuses on goddess worship and druidic lore, and is the majikal name of Merlin. I have a small collection of books about Arthur, and acquired my first in grade school.

In this particular version, the Merlin is a shape-shifter, and can turn himself into a wild thing, most often a hawk (thus his name, merlin) or wild cat. I have always felt a particular kinship with his character, and with cats and birds, and am in love with the druidic legends/ways. So it just fit.

Interestingly enough, there actually was a travelling bard named talesin, who dates to Arthurian times. (yes, I know arthur was not a real person, but a composite of tribal chiefs)

tal

• talesin
    talesin

oops, DP, how`d that happen?

• dorayakii
    dorayakii
    I have to admit though, I thought you were female, just cuz the nam starts off Dora...

Well i am gay, lol... in fact it's pronounced in between the "l" and "r", similar to but shorter than the Scottish "r". The "l" and "r" are allophones in Japanese so you could just as well say "dolayaki" (or even "dotayaki" in american accent).

The allophonic nature of "r" and "l" in some oriental languages is the sourse of some jokes like "flied lice" for "fried rice" or "rubbery" for "lovely". It's a very difficult sound to master but its most definately not pronounced like english "Dorah".

The chinese character in my avatar means "love" when used in Japanese.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Lonely, because that is excatly how I felt the whole time I was devoting my time to becoming part of them. Isolation from them for not being dipped yet, as well as from family and friends for having anything to do w/jw's. So much "love", yet this was how I felt constantly.

Sheep..obviously since that's a common jw term I heard studying.

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

I chose Goldminer because I work In a gold mine in northern ontario.Someday I hope to use my real name.

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Mine's pretty self-explanatory I guess. But I suppose there are some details:

I chose ithinkisee because I had studied as much as I could in the Society's literature and kept hitting brick walls. I couldn't break through and make sense of what I was reading. Anytime I could track something down to a date or a number or something I would get hit with the Society's confusing writing - their attempt to muddy the waters of shaky doctrine. Like trying to read the subject of "Chronology" in the Insight books. They didn't have to make it that confusing but they just do because their is no biblical or historical basis for their doctrine.

I hate comparing what I was thinking to a movie character, but if you saw that movie "The Village" and how the Joaquin Phoenix character REALLY wanted to believe but something ... SOMETHING just didn't make sense. He couldn't place a finger on it ... but it JUST WASN'T RIGHT.

Anyways, I decided to start ever so slowly looking at stuff on the Internet that I wouldn't have looked at otherwise ... I made justifications that certain sites weren't really apostate sites, but were simply Christian research sites ... (like CARM.ORG)

But as the picture became clearer just from these sites, my fear of SilentLambs, FreeMinds, WT Observer, etc faded away. I spent several nights in a row til 3am just soaking it all in. Even then I still held to several beliefs - I believed the JWs were not right, but I still felt like the paradise was a reality. Therefore, at the time I joined JWD I wasn't 100% convinced that JWs were completely wrong. But they had definitely fallen off their pedestal as far as I was concerned.

Shortly after that I bought Crisis of COnscience, Search For Christian Freedom, and Gentile Times Reconsidered.

My name should now be "iKnowiSee" or something .... but iThinkISee reminds me of how far I feel I've come in a relatively short time.

I hope to post my real name soon.

-ithinkisee

• Forscher
    Forscher

Dorayakii said;

"Forscher as in 'Bibelforscher'?"

Not really, Bibelforscher is a compound word which contains the word forscher, but it was not my intent to link myself to the name by which the Bible students and JWs were known in Germany.

Forscher

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Mine is from a Bob Dylan song, "Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again":

Now the bricks lay on Grand Street
    Where the neon madmen climb.
    They all fall there so perfectly,
    It all seems so well timed.
    An' here I sit so patiently
    Waiting to find out what price
    You have to pay to get out of
    Going through all these things twice.
    Oh, Mama, can this really be the end,
    To be stuck inside of Mobile
    With the Memphis blues again.

Given all I went through and the many unhappy years I was in the organization, my focus at the time I chose it was on 'getting out of going through all these things twice'. When it finally happened, however, the "bricks" fell together perfectly, and 'it all seemed so well timed'. And the more time passes away from the cult, the higher this neon madman climbs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit