Prank call to Governing Body member Anthony Morris III gets through

by Watchtower-Free 143 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Simon
    Simon
    This is the real point. ex members should be allowed to call GB members and ask them anything they like, but due to the fact it's a cult they can't.

Do you genuinely believe that any organization that has +7million members would ever have an "open door" policy for not only current, but also ex-members as well?

Can every employee of Apple, past and present, be able to ring Tim Cook? If not, are they a cult? (forget for a minute that Apple kind of is like a cult, LOL). Past a certain size, even a smallish company, it's very rare that *anyone* can call for anything. It's why organizations have structure, departments and delegated areas to focus on - simple logistics.

I think we need to make sure that our claims and criticisms are valid and trying to use something like this as "proof of cult" makes it easy to dismiss IMO.

The WTS does plenty of genuinely cultish things and I think these are better examples to use in any argument as to whether they are a cult or not. If we were trying to argue the case with a relative and claimed "I can't ring the head guy therefore it must be a cult" then I don't believe we'd be presenting a very compelling or convincing argument.

It's easy to see things as convincing when you are already convinced but I think we're deluding ourselves if we really think this is proof-positive as claimed.

• cappytan
    cappytan

I tried calling the Pope. Didn't get through. I guess Catholics are a cult now. :P

I kid! I kid! 

I will say, though, that as a Bethelite, though you'd probably have an issue getting a call through to a GB member at work, you would be able to ring their room.

My roommate and I wondered if we could, so we concocted a scheme to see if the number listed in the Bethel Family Phone Book would really ring through to the GB members. So we decided to invite Sydlik over for dinner. He answered the phone! And he accepted our invitation! It was quite a surprise.

• brandnew
    brandnew

If i would have gotten through, i would have just said this........

" hello Mr Morris, im just a regular guy who needed to get through to you, or any gb member...to get a few questions off my chest...will you please stay on the line and speak with me for a few minutes."

Now if tight pants says " ok ask away"......then progress is being made.     But if he hangs up then.....well then progress is still being made.      JUST SAYIN.....

• brandnew
    brandnew
    Do gb members even go on field service? That would put them in a spot to have to answer questions right?
  • Stirred
    Stirred
    Dissappointed. It shocked my doubting husband who previously liked Cedars videos and more level approach.  This prank put him back several steps in credibility.  I can see logicalo points on both sides but I do believe a better approach is to focus on always being respectful, logical, mature, expose the fallacies and hypocrisy of other side but don't lower your standards.  
  • KateWild
    KateWild

Ok Simon you make a fair point. At work I don't think I could contact the MD if I wanted to.

But as a structured organisation I don't need to as all my questions are answered immediately by my colleagues or supervisor.

The problem with this cult is that there is control of information and members are not allowed to question, so we do end up further up the line to find someone  culpable.

I see what you say though.

Kate xx

• startingover
    startingover

Just finally watched it, I couldn't bring myself to do it before as I really think this tactic is counterproductive.  I only read a couple of pages when it first came up, so if I'm repeating someone else's comments please excuse me.

After watching it, and listening to Tony's reactions, I tried to imagine what it was like for him to take a call like this.  I'm sure he lives in a bubble surrounded by yes men much like any celebrity.  But I wonder what went through his mind after hanging up.  Is he so sure of himself that the conversation wouldn't make him stop and think, especially considering his reaction to the beginning about the tight pants?  I bet he's heard comments about that from his peers.

In my experience, men with positions in the organization put on an air of humility until questioned, and then you see what they really are.  Maybe this made more of an impact than you think.  Or maybe it just cemented his ideas further in his deluded mind.

• Simon
    Simon

People have said these things to elders and others many thousands of times and to their face.

I very much doubt that the head of the Watchtower society went off to seriously rethink his outlook on religion as a result of a prank call. It's nice to imagine that is what happened, but it's extremely unlikely. But who knows, maybe the next WT will be "we got it all wrong, someone explained it to us".

People in those positions are there because they are corporate climbers, not doubters. Even at lower levels they are promoted if they buy into the system and drink the cool-aid, not because they are spiritual.

I know Ray Franz was on the GB and left but I think the religion from back then is long gone. It's a major corporation and these people shrug off criticism like it isn't there. Does anyone seriously think that they don't already *know* the truth? Of course they do - they are the ones making it all up!

• done4good
    done4good

Sorry, but this tactic is immature and foolish. It does little more than to feed a JW's persecution complex, and in the end just adds weight to their argument that apostates are nothing more than rabid haters. Absolutely counterproductive.

This is what happens when an egomaniac gets lost in his own arrogance.

d4g

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I did not read all 13 pages of posts on here but skimmed through some of the comments. I have to agree with the posters that felt that a great opportunity was wasted on asking some serious questions and getting some answers. Now it just makes the ex JW's look bad in the eyes of maybe some fence sitters. You know the WT will not waste a moment on this to twist it to make them look good. i.e. these evil apostates verbally attacking one of the Governing Body members. It would just justify their reasoning that they are being persecuted in the name of Jehovah thus they must have the truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit