Who Was Shocked By the Watchtower UN NGO Scandal?

by AlanF 121 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• sf
    sf

Tammy,

After all of the countless mind numbing 400 page books we studied on book study night where it was drilled into us that the United Nations was the Wild Beast that harlot religions consorted with, and it was also described as the "disgusting thing that causes desolation", to have them do this was absolutely flabbergasting!

Then I became angry when I remembered that we couldn't even donate a few coins to UNICEF when I was in the third grade.

It is their biggest hypocrisy, IMO.

THIS is the crux I speak of. Thx for nailing it.

sKally

• HoChiMin
    HoChiMin

I was happy to see more evidence against a corrupt organization.

HCM

• Nellie
    Nellie

All Good -

I couldn't agree more. Even if I did hear something about this, the comment was so inoccuous that it went right over my head. Just like the talk at the District about voting - I remember coming home with my husband saying, "Did he just say that we could vote or not?" The talk was so totally out of both sides of the face that it couldn't have made any sense to anyone. But like always, most just went with the flow.

They will hear what they think they were supposed to hear - always. That's why it's so hard for a secure witness to accept anything contrary to what they think (even when it comes from the Society) - they already know what it all. I guess that's what you call mind control at it's best.

• observador
    observador

I wasn't shocked because I was in the exit process already. So it just confirmed things to me.

Observador.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Alan,

I had already left the organization but had not yet formally disassociated when I learned of the UN scandal. I was shocked by the brazen hypocrisy of it. Whereas before I thought that they were sincere but misguided, I now knew that they were totally cynical.

SNG

• Swan
    Swan
    I had already left the organization but had not yet formally disassociated when I learned of the UN scandal. I was shocked by the brazen hypocrisy of it. Whereas before I thought that they were sincere but misguided, I now knew that they were totally cynical.

This was also my thought at the time. I thought they were just a misguided group, but this showed me that there was something more sinister going on.

This showed me that the corrupt Bethel leadership believed themselves to have the absolute power to declare what was right and wrong according to their of justifications at the time. Their eyes were opened and they became like gods, knowing good from bad. They blatantly rejected their own previous teachings when it suited their purposes, but still hold their followers to standards they no longer follow. They pursued a course that they always taught us was contrary to Jehovah's will without regard to His feelings or their relationship to the almighty. It leads me to believe that they don't really believe that "no part of the world" stuff themselves, and that in their own eyes at that time, they could do no wrong before Jehovah.

Their subsequent sudden dropping of their membership from the UN and the library card story reminds me of the scripture where Adam rationalized that he was naked before Jehovah and so he hid himself. When exposed, they didn't say, "oh we made a horrible mistake and hope Jehovah will forgive us." No. Instead they said they had nothing to be ashamed of, but then dropped their membership, made up a story, and covered it up by a lot of schmoozing reassurances and propaganda. These are the actions of men who find themselves guilty by their own consciences. In my mind they showed themselves guilty by their own subsequent actions.

It is one of the most telling scandals in the whole Watchtower history.

Tammy

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

When the story broke on the Internet that the Watchtower was an NGO affiliated with the UN's Dept. of Public Information (DPI), I was not shocked. And I had no doubts whatsoever that the information was true because in 1991, when I was part of Brooklyn Bethel's Writing Dept., Ciro Aulicino began to visit the United Nations every Wednesday afternoon. However, back then I didn't have a clue as to what was required to get Ciro his "visitor's pass."

Ciro's primary job in Writing was to locate misc. books and journals for the staff from outside of Bethel. He had not been a department staff writer for many years. I went to Ciro's office almost daily, except on Wednesday afternoon when he would take the subway to 42nd Street where the NYC central library was located. He went to that library to do research and pick up books. Ciro would post a note on his door every Wednesday afternoon informing the staff of his whereabouts, which said, "Gone to the City."

Sometime late in 1991 or early 1992, I clearly remember when Ciro told me he had added the United Nations to his schedule of places to go on Wednesday to pick up material for the Writing Department. When I asked him how he was able to get into the UN, he said he had received a special pass so he could use the UN facilities, including the library because the Watchtower was an international publishing concern. Having the pass meant that Ciro could go into certain areas that were off limits to the public and listen to UN meetings, that is, if he wanted to. At the time, I thought it was a great opportunity for the Writing Dept. to have access to the latest information about world affairs directly from the UN. However, I never connected the Sept. 8, 1991 Awake! magazine cover series of articles about the UN with Ciro's trips to the UN. That particular magazine was put in our Bethel rooms early in August and I just didn't think about it later when Ciro told me about his visits to the UN.

Soon after I read that Awake!, Ciro told me he wrote the UN articles and that Lloyd Barry directly assigned him to do so. He also asked me what I thought about them. I told him how impressed I was with his work. The approach was different and I especially liked the last paragraph on page 10 which omitted the negative view JWs had of the UN and endeavored to stir up the reader's interest by stating that the UN will do some very astonishing things that will amaze people. I mentioned that I hoped this statement might cause someone to study the Bible with JWs out of curiosity.

It used to take about seven months, counting from the time a WT staff writer received a magazine article assignment until the printing of the actual WT or Awake!. Accordingly, we can assume that this UN/NGO matter was in the works from the beginning of 1991 or before. Whose idea it was, I have no way of knowing, but I will say that there had to be many people at the very top of the organization who were deeply involved. Although only the Governing Body Writing Committee (at that time made up of GB members, Barry, Barr and Klein), was required to authorize the writing of the articles on the UN, Ted Jaracz also had to know about this UN/NGO business, because one of the signatures on the UN/NGO agreement was Robert Johnson, who was in the Service Department, which department Ted Jaracz directs. Bob was and still is a very important man in the Service Department, and Bob Johnson takes his marching orders from Ted Jaracz.

Although I once counted all of these people as my friends, after being quickly ousted by them from the organization when I went public about their flawed sexual child abuse policies, I was not shocked by their duplicitous decision to hookup with the UN. However, I was amazed that their preposterous conduct came to light, thanks to the Internet.

Barbara

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I was shocked and disillusioned but have similar reactions to all the other things I have learned the last few months. It makes me very sad that my sister is still an active JW, taking in all their BS. I hope to help her exit one day, but it is her whole world.

• sf
    sf
    At the time, I thought it was a great opportunity for the Writing Dept. to have access to the latest information about world affairs directly from the UN.

But, but I was taught daily that "we are NO part of this wicked world of things", including all political entities. How do you reconcile such a compromise as this?

The approach was different and I especially liked the last paragraph on page 10 which omitted the negative view JWs had of the UN and endeavored to stir up the reader's interest by stating that the UN will do some very astonishing things that will amaze people. I mentioned that I hoped this statement might cause someone to study the Bible with JWs out of curiosity.

Ah. I'm beginning to see it all a bit more clearly now. Those tricky dicks. Another recuiting ploy, so to speak?

{{ good morning hugs barb }}

sKally

• avishai
    avishai
    Their subsequent sudden dropping of their membership from the UN and the library card story reminds me of the scripture where Adam rationalized that he was naked before Jehovah and so he hid himself. When exposed, they didn't say, "oh we made a horrible mistake and hope Jehovah will forgive us." No. Instead they said they had nothing to be ashamed of, but then dropped their membership, made up a story, and covered it up by a lot of schmoozing reassurances and propaganda. These are the actions of men who find themselves guilty by their own consciences. In my mind they showed themselves guilty by their own subsequent actions.

It's called "Getting caught with your pant's down"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit