Who Was Shocked By the Watchtower UN NGO Scandal?

by AlanF 121 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• loosie
    loosie

I was knocked off my chair. Yes it was 3 times that we had to study the revelation book. I thought the UN was the worst of the worst.

Now how many of us went to sign up with the YMCA after learning about this?

• Mulan
    Mulan

I don't think I was shocked. After reading Crisis of Conscience, I don't think I could be easily shocked by them, again.

I laughed, as I recall.

• freedom96
    freedom96

Shocked, I don't think so. Interesting, and good ammo against witnesses, oh yeah.

• blondie
    blondie

I was more shocked by the child abuse issue.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I was already long gone by the time this one broke, so I don't have much emotional investment JW issues. For me it was like watching somebody I don't like step in a pile of dog crap.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Up until the UN/NGO scandal, I still, occasionally, had personal doubts about having left the JWs--wondering if I had done the right thing. When the news broke, I got very angry. I couldn't help but weep--all my old fears came boiling up and over.

As a child, the WTS used to cause nightmares by scaring me about the Harlot (world empire of false religion) and the Beast (UN) and the wrath that Jehovah God was surely going to rain down upon them.

I was upset for a long time after reading about the scandal. After I got over my fear, anger and loathing, I just had to laugh at the irony of it all.

Still, for all my tears and anger, I can't help but be glad. I have realized, never to doubt again, that the Society is a false prophet. I am free at last.

Robyn

• ljwtiamb
    ljwtiamb
    But then I read where the Watchtower condemned other churches for being "members of the UN", citing a quote. They failed to include the portion of the quote that shows those churches were associated NGO's. That condemnatory comment was only shortly before the Watchtower itself became an NGO.

Where did they condemn other churches for the same sin?

• Honesty
    Honesty

I was very upset about it but thought it must have been by some rebel JW's until I got hold of official Australian government transcripts and saw comments made to the Australian Parliament by a 'friend' in the Lie at an interfaith meeting with he and the WT lawyer representing the WTBTS as a official NGO. I called Crooklyn Bethel and they denied it at first then said it was a misunderstanding. How can it be a misunderstanding? I had so many problems with the deceit and lies about it from Bethel that I had to undergoe more therapy. I would sue the WTBTS if it wasn't a lost cause from the beginning.

• yesidid
    yesidid
    Where did they condemn other churches for the same sin?

Watchtower 1991 June 1 pp.15-20 Their Refuge?A Lie! ***

.........Like ancient Jerusalem, Christendom looks to worldly alliances for security, and her clergy refuse to take refuge in Jehovah...........

11 A recent book gives an idea when it states: "No less than twenty-four Catholic organizations are represented at the UN. Several of the world's religious leaders have visited the international organization. Most memorable were the visits of His Holiness Pope Paul VI during the General Assembly in 1965 and of Pope John Paul II in 1979. Many religions have special invocations, prayers, hymns and services for the United Nations. The most important examples are those of the Catholic, the Unitarian-Universalist, the Baptist and the Bahai faiths."

The quote in paragraph 11 of the Watchtower June 1 1991 article (above) is not credited, but it appears to come from the 1982 book, New Genesis: Shaping a Global Spirituality chapter 6, Prayer And Meditation At The United Nations by Robert Muller. It has also been suggested that that this material may have been a revised version of a speech that Robert Muller delivered in 1977/8, when as Secretary of ECOSOC, he spoke at the 20th Anniversary of the U.N. Meditation Room.

The *COMPLETE* quote reads as follows. The portion quoted in the Watchtower article is in red underlined text; note the portion which was not included in the Watchtower (which is here highlighted):

*** NEW GENESIS: Shaping a Global Spirituality ***
    *** Chapter 6: Prayer and Meditation at the United Nations page 45+following***
    by Robert Muller

Scans Available (from 1984 Edition): Title Page (20kb); Copyright Page (48kb); Page 45 (90kb).

Prayer, meditation and spirituality at the UN are fascinating subjects. All major world religions are accredited to the United Nations as non-governmental organizations . For example, no less than twenty-four Catholic organizations are represented at the UN. Several of the world's religious leaders have visited the international organization. Most memorable were the visits of His Holiness Pope Paul VI during the General Assembly in 1965 and of Pope John Paul II in 1979. Many religions have special invocations, prayers, hymns and services for the United Nations. The most important examples are those of the Catholic, the Unitarian-Universalist, the Baptist and the Bahai faiths.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

9 The UN is actually a blasphemous counterfeit of God?s Messianic Kingdom by his Prince of Peace, Jesus Christ?to whose princely rule there will be no end. (Isaiah 9:6, 7) Even if the UN were to patch up some temporary peace, wars would soon erupt again. This is in the nature of sinful men. "Their names have not been written upon the scroll of life from the founding of the world." Jehovah?s Kingdom by Christ will not only establish eternal peace on earth but, on the basis of Jesus? ransom sacrifice, raise the dead, the righteous and the unrighteous who are in God?s memory. (John 5:28, 29; Acts 24:15) This includes everyone who has remained steadfast despite the attacks of Satan and his seed, and others who have yet to show themselves obedient. Obviously, God?s scroll of life will never contain the names of die-hard adherents of Babylon the Great or of any who continued to worship the wild beast.?Exodus 32:33; Psalm 86:8-10; John 17:3; Revelation 16:2; 17:5.

Peace

and Security?A Vain Hope

In an effort to bolster the hopes of mankind, the United Nations proclaimed 1986 to be an "International Year of Peace," with the theme "To Safeguard Peace and the Future of Humanity." Warring nations were called upon to lay down their weapons, at least for one year. What was their response? According to a report by the International Peace Research Institute, more than five million soldiers were killed in combat during 1986 alone! Though some special coins and commemorative stamps were issued, most of the nations did little about pursuing the ideal of peace in that year. Nevertheless, the world?s religions?always anxious for a fine rapport with the UN?set about publicizing the year in various ways. On January 1, 1986, Pope John Paul II praised the work of the UN and dedicated the new year to peace. And on October 27, he assembled the leaders of many of the world?s religions at Assisi, Italy, to pray for peace.

Does God answer such prayers for peace? Well, to which God were those religious leaders praying? If you asked them, each group would give a different answer. Is there a pantheon of millions of gods that can hear and grant petitions made in many different ways? Many of the participants worshiped Christendom?s Trinity. Buddhists, Hindus, and others chanted prayers to gods without number. In all, 12 "religious families" assembled, being represented by such notables as the Anglican Archbishop of Canterbury, Buddhism?s Dalai Lama, a Russian Orthodox metropolitan, the president of Tokyo?s Shinto Shrine Association, African animists, and two American Indians decked out in plumed headdresses. It was a colorful group, to say the least, making for spectacular TV coverage. One group prayed unceasingly for 12 hours at one time. (Compare Luke 20:45-47.) But did any of those prayers reach beyond the rain clouds that hovered over the gathering? No, for the following reasons:

In contrast with those who "walk in the name of Jehovah," not one of those religionists was praying to Jehovah, the living God, whose name appears some 7,000 times in the original text of the Bible. (Micah 4:5; Isaiah 42:8, 12) As a group, they did not approach God in the name of Jesus, the majority of them not even believing in Jesus Christ. (John 14:13; 15:16) None of them are doing God?s will for our day, which is to proclaim worldwide God?s incoming Kingdom?not the UN?as the real hope for mankind. (Matthew 7:21-23; 24:14; Mark 13:10) For the most part, their religious organizations have been involved in the bloody wars of history, including the two world wars of this century. To such, God says: "Even though you make many prayers, I am not listening; with bloodshed your very hands have become filled."?Isaiah 1:15; 59:1-3.

Further, it is deeply significant that the world?s religious leaders should join hands with the United Nations in calling for peace at this time. They would like to influence the UN to their own advantage, especially in this modern age when so many of their people are abandoning religion.

This is from the Revelation Book, page 248 par 9 thru page 249 par 1 and 2

I was in disbelief when I first heard it. After being taught 20 years ago the UN was against God's kingdom and then to find out they were an active member. I was mad too........for all the years I did not join anything that was "worldly" in my loyalty to God and what the Society taught us.

Even small things in being obediant........burning Family Christmas cards and keepsakes that were "pagan" to be seperated from the "world" Not letting the kids play sports, not saluting the Flag, all these things were just as important to me in keeping with the Truth I was taught.

I was taught the organization was directed by God's holy spirit and that it had integrity and Truth. I was to be obediant and do without services that were advantagious to me.......Why in the world, for any reason at all, would The WatchTower connect themselves with the UN after publicly writing and teaching its followers that it is in direct opposition to God's plan?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit