Who Was Shocked By the Watchtower UN NGO Scandal?

by AlanF 121 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Nellie
    Nellie

I'm still shocked!

There is no acceptable justification for the WTS to join the UN. I couldn't agree more with the previous posters! Jehovah's Earthly Organization and the Wild Beast! Huh??? I'm flabbergasted! What could possibly be said in their defense?

I know witnesses who could not afford to feed their families, who refused to accept governmental food-aid programs because the food distribution site was in a church. They would not be caught going into or out of a church for any reason whatsoever - no physical food was important enough to "appear" disloyal to God's org. And then the WTS uses UN planes to take food and supplies to people in France? And they join the UN for LIBRARY PRIVILEGES!

The sad truth about this is that the average zealous witness will NOT hear about this. They will not read about this and they won't accept it even if it's put in their faces.

I chose to stop attending meetings @ 2 years ago, and although it rings pretty hollow, I would probably still identify myself as a witness today. I've spent the last few weeks reading at this site, and really appreciate the facts that I've learned that support the unease I've felt all these years. This, undoubtedly, will make my indecisions clearer.

• donkey
    donkey

Alan,

I was truly angry over this issue. I was willing to die for the sake of neutrality and I gave up so much because of it - in fact no one will ever comprehend how much it changed and affected my whole life. It cost me a precious price that can never be reclaimed and over 20 years later it still haunts me and causes me pain and nightmares. But unfortunately, I cannot say any more publicly on this issue.

Donkey

• Quotes
    Quotes

I think it is interesting to see how hard-core JWs react. The response is, IMHO, always like this:

(1) ANGER, outrage, at what is "obviously an apostate lie"; will the apostates stoop so low? How ridiculous will these apostates lies get? Such a thing is impossible, it could never, EVER happen!

Then you show them proof, including WTS admitting to it. You then get what I call "Stage 2":

(2) Well, it was no big deal. So what? What is the big deal.

~Quotes, of the "Stage 2 still shows the seed has been planted" class

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

I was a dub when I heard about it, and it didn't shock me; I considered it a welcome sign of liberalization. The blatant hypocrisy didn't really bother me; I knew that the WTS never admitted its mistakes, and I figured that hypocritical change was better than no change at all.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I was very angry and felt betrayed. I would have loved to vote for school bond issues in my area; these directly affect my children.

Imagine my anger on finding that the WT had belonged to the UN with NGO status for 10 years, and then did not have the courage to address it up front, instead offering the lame excuse that they did it for a library card.

It cemented my decision to abandon the lifelong religion of my family.

P

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

I was gobsmacked - (especially when compared to the YMCA thing) - there is NO valid reason why the WTBTS should ever have considered joining. I can't imagine what pre-amble took place prior to them approaching the UN.

I have been away from the Cult Society for many years, my last attendance being the book study in 1995 (Revelation - and it was!) After reading the postings on here, I believe that if I returned to JW it would be a completely different religion to the one I left 10 years ago, and I would have to ''re-learn'' everything.

• vitty
    vitty

I was already out when I heard, but if I had still been in I dont think it would have phased me. I would have accepted their excuses.

The enormity didnt hit me until I actually read the Awake article, sorry I cant remember which one) where it promotes the UN, this was given as evidence to the UN to show that it was in agreement with it.

Now when I read it first I was still in, I remember not really paying much attention, but the way it is written is so sneaky. I didnt think it would have set off any alarlm bells, but when you understand the real reason they wrote it, it really hits you between the eyes.

Then it was shocking !!!!!

• squinks
    squinks

Even though I left the Jehovah's Witnesses over 15 years ago, I was so shocked when I first found out about NGO status of the JW's that I became physically ill.

I ran for the bathroom and threw up. I guess the shock was just too much to handle.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

I felt absolute shock and that I'd been cheated on. BUT at the same time a little excited as I had already been into the 607/587 thing. So this helped me in my extraction process.

• undercover
    undercover

I was already doubting and realizing the WTS was not God's organization when I discovered the UN scandal. Surprised maybe but not shocked. Disillusioned was more my feeling. I had believed and accepted everything they said since my childhood and then I started realizing things weren't right. The UN scandal was evidence that they were as hypocritical as any other religion that they had condemned as hypocritical. It was the last straw and sealed my fate of never returning as an active member of the JWs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit