Oh May We Ever Live Up To Our Chosen Name!

by Englishman 75 Replies latest jw friends

• Commie Chris
    Commie Chris

I was a communist in my teens (yes, I was a Teenage Communist). Between 1977 and 1983, I was also the singer in a punk rock band. My band name was Commie Chris, for obvious reasons, and it stuck. I am still known as Commie Chris to many of my friends, and even to many of my colleagues in the legal profession (at least the few fun ones), although I am really more of an anarchist than a communist. Having said all of this, I would not want to be labeled, or to be thought of as nothing but a dull political activist. The struggle against imperialism and global corporate evil does not consume all of my time. I’m a fun guy. Really. I love reggae music, dancing, gourmet cooking, sports, and lots of other cool stuff. Not that the struggle against global corporate evil can't also be fun.

- Commie Chris

• dmouse
    dmouse

Pubsinger - shouldn't that be a Minstrel servant then?

dmouse? well, I used to love a cartoon hero called Dangermouse when I was a kid and my initials are DM which used to be on his T-shirt.

• bigboi
    bigboi

Neko:

DJ Kool herc is the father of hip-hop music as far as the essence of how the music and songs are made. He and GrandMaster Flash were the first to dj's at block parties to loop beats and let emcees ryhme over them, not puerto-rican djs.

http://www.b-boys.com/hiphoptimeline.html

Just a lil info for ya.

ONE....

bigboi

"it ain't what ya do. it's how you do it" quote from the song "True Honeybunz" by Bahamadia

• Number 6
    Number 6

Way before the X Files was giving us a series with no answers we Brits were doing it 30 odd years ago.

"The Prisoner" a TV show originally broadcast 1967/68 told the story of a British Secret Agent who suddenly resigned without warning and for no reason. He was promptly kidnapped and taken to "The Village" Who ran "The Village and where it was located was never disclosed but conflicting hints are given as to where it is. The 17 episodes set out to break our agent known only as "number 6" by the top man "Number 2".

The two questions asked every week were to No 6 "Why did you resign?" and of No 2 "Who is number 1?". If you've never seen the series before I thoughrougly recommend it, and the final episode "Fall Out" where all is revealed??? is probably the most bizarre and surreal 54 minutes of television you will ever watch.

Why did I chose my moniker as Number 6? I first saw the programme at the very impressionable age of 14 in 1984 and as well as being the most mad TV programme I ever watched, it also started the streak of rebellion in me as my step-father initially forbade me to watch it thinking it somehow was the wrong influence. So I took the attitude that if it annoyed him then I was going to damn well watch it!

Also because I identify with the characters' struggle to be an individual against the pressure of "The Village" to conform. Also the fact that it raises more questions than it answers. I believe strongly in our absolute right to hold our opinions in the face opposition and that no organisation has the right to mould us to think what it wants us to think. (i.e. The Watchtower Society)

i used to post initially here as Mr Angry this being a reflection of how I usually feel when I read the heartrending tales of the trauma people suffer at the hands of the Watchtower organisation. At that time I was also a bit scared of being identified by others in the Borg who might know me. So my re-invention as Number 6 also brought down the barriers. I use my real name on my unblocked email and if those who once called me a friend and those family who are still in the Borg somehow identify my posting here and cut me off; the loss is theirs. I have been out a decade and wasted many of those years being scared of what the power the dubs have over me. My mind is my own.

In the words of Number 6: " I am not a number, I am a free man."

Be seeing you.

6 (aka Craig Reilly, Northampton, United Kingdom)

I am not a dub I am a free man.

• philo
    philo

Englishman,

There's not much of a story behind my name...so I won't tell. I just wanted to pat you on the back for your memory of kingdom songs. It not as if it was catchy, or you've been humming and flyfishing it for the last XX years, is it?

philo

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

No 6,

You ever watched NOWHERE MAN? It aired on american TV..it is very similair to the PRISONER..in fact it is inspired by THE PRISONER

It is about a reporter named THomas Vale (played by bruce greenwood..most recently seen in the film 13 days playing john F. Kennedy)whos entire life gets erased while he goes to the bathroom at a restaurent..when he gets out his wife isnt there, the people there have no memory of him adn kick him out, when he gets home his dog growls at him and his wife is married to another man..its all cus of a photograph he took and only he has the negative..so every episode we find him searching for answers and hiding the negative in many ingenious places...very good show

-dan

• think41self
    think41self

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing your stories, very interesting.

Again, I think mine is self explanatory. For one coming out of the borg, and being raised as one, and a female...being able to think for one's self seemed to me the greatest freedom of all!

think41self

"When agnostics die, do they go to the great perhaps"?

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

You're probably right dmouse!

Actually that's why I had to leave.... Its obligatory to be tone deaf, unable to hold a note, to sing with no passion or feeling or volume, and in the case of those who wrote and especially the damn pianist that recorded the kingdom "songs" not to be able to read music or keep time! As i could do all the above they said I obviously didn't have the identifying marks of a true Christian!

Does anyone remember "The Ressurection JOY" (JOY!!!! thats JOY!!!)

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I love things Judaic, and Jerusalem is my spiritual home, and though I misspelled it, this would be one phonetic spelling of Jerusalem. Stange thing the word phonetics, phonically it would be spelled with an "f" not the "ph" hook on "pahonics worked for me!"

My real name is Michael by the way. Micha El in Hebrew "WHO IS LIKE GOD?" It's a question and a challenge not a statment of my character. Michael the Archangel (who isn't, by the way, the same as Jesus, Challenged Satan "WHO IS LIKE GOD?" When he cast him out of heaven.

Yeru

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I chose jayhawk1, because to me the Jayhawks are #1!

Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, Go KU!

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit