Oh May We Ever Live Up To Our Chosen Name!

by Englishman 75 Replies latest jw friends

• myMichelle
    myMichelle

Michelle is actually my middle name. When I first started posting on-line at H2O, Michelle was taken and I was not inclined to add a bunch of numbers to the end. My mom gave me my middle name after the only Beatle song she liked, so I dredged through my memory of that song for my handle. Michelle my Belle was just a little too...um...frilly? for me, not to mention long. Short and sweet "my Michelle" popped to mind next, so I carried it on over here when I "migrated".

I suppose I could have summed all that up like Simon did and say my parents gave me mine, but I do like to ramble on at times.

Michelle

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

When I was seventeen (shortly after my relatively brief association with the WTBTS), I strongly considered signing up for the United States Navy Reserve Officer Training Program as a way of getting through college. I was a very close thing as the brochures from the Navy for their submarine program was very, very seductive. Alas, I declined the opportunity because at that age I was unsure about making a twenty plus year commitment.

So I never made it into a submarine or even into the military, although I have been out on a number of civilian surface vessels. So I took the name "Skimmer"; a bit of jargon used by submariners for sailors who only "skim" the surface.

• gsark
    gsark

I am 'gsark' which is short for Glenda's Ark. I am Glenda and I have a lot of different kinds of animals.

Reading all these persoanl stories is very heartwarming. Thanks everyone for sharing.

Life is a roller coaster. Get in, sit down, shut up and hang on!

• MoeJoJoJo
    MoeJoJoJo

1.My middle name is Jo
    2. my daughters love the cartoon the Powerpuff Girls
    3. and its a fun name to say.

• spike
    spike

My name is really Spike the Impaler. But I use Spike. Our famiy has a history of being early silversmiths. The story is that the family made silvernails for the cross of an early Passion play in Bozen, Austria(now Bolzano) in the 1500's.

• dedalus
    dedalus

In A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, young Stephan Dedalus declares,

When the soul of a man is born in this country there are nets flung at it to hold it back from flight. You talk to me of nationality, language, religion. I shall try to fly by those nets.

It resonated with me as I read it during a boring district convention (sorry, that's redundant) back in '90. Took me over a decade to fly by my own nets, though ...

Dedalus

• qwerty
    qwerty

Q W E R T Y

Try typing it!

I got fedup of forgetting my passwords. This one was easy to remember and no I don't use it anymore for any passwords.
    I liked how it sounded and now I even would answer to it. Just hopeone of the Elders don't call it me as a test!

Yours

Twerpy

....whoops

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

okay, my turn

i picked my name because my real name is Harmony and growing up i was fascinated by the 60's and the whole hippie culture in america. in high school, i would scribble on all my notebooks "peace love & happiness" or "peace love and harmony". my girlfriends and i were called "hippie chicks" by our classmates. i had a dream of traveling around the US in a VW van with a friend after graduation, but that never happened. i went to college instead good choice i think.

also, i think the world could use a little more peace love and harmony and i'm trying to do my part to contribute

so everybody HUG!

love
    harmony

"If God has spoken, why is the world not convinced?"
    ..........Percy Bysshe Shelley, English poet (1792-1822)

• Gopher
    Gopher

I live in Minnesota (USA). One nickname for the state of Minnesota is "The Gopher State". The university's sports teams are nicknamed the Gophers. There's no other special significance to my moniker, at least not from me!

GopherEven if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    Will Rogers (1879-1935)

• Esmeralda
    Esmeralda

I think that most of the H2O vets know where mine came from, the character of the Gypsy dancer who is living among her outcast people and befriends Quasimodo in Victor Hugo's Hunchback of Notre Dame.

I also love the Disney version of Esmeralda because of the song she sang: "God help the outcasts." The lyrics are up on my website. It resonated with me back when I was first having doubts about the Borg but had not the courage to act on them yet.

I have another net alias that I've used for five years outside the ex-Jw realm (star trek related). I nearly used that one on H2O but it's known by all my family (and also is the nickname my husband calls me) so I didn't post it here because of the recognition factor.

My husband's alias, JackDawson is self explanatory. He is registered here but mostly lurks. He posted on H2O a couple of times.

Anyone have nicknames that they considered using but didn't? I think that would be an interesting side issue. My other (nearly taken) choice was Eponine (another Victor Hugo character) Then again if I'd known about the Powerpuff girls back when I registered my nick on H2O I probably would have been Buttercup *lol*

*hugs*
    Essie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit