Oh May We Ever Live Up To Our Chosen Name!

by Englishman 75 Replies latest jw friends

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

When I first got AOL I had the name LuvinU4Evr. I had a hissy fit one time and "killed her"...then had murderers regrets for having done so, and went looking for another "Loves" type name to use since my friends called me Luv all the time online. So...while I was still a JW mind you, I got the name LovesMeNot on AOL. And once again, in keeping with the whole Loves thing...created LovesDubs for my board name. All my boards. The JWs obviously get a big kick outta making comments about my AOL name in the chat room...like they are the first one to ever point out the irony of it in that particular room :) I let them have their moment. There arent many after all. hehehehe.

I swear though, after being lovesmenot for 6 years if I ever lose the name or AOL shuts down I will have to have a formal funeral for her. She has become her own entity.

Loves

• Englishman
    Englishman

I
    http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/b82a0fdd/bc/Pilgrim/Oulton+copy72dpi.jpg?bc0ecX7A47Vqit7E

..... fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

• reagan_oconnor
    reagan_oconnor

Reagan O'Connor is my nom de plume. I've done some freelance writing, both fiction and non-fiction, and prefer to use it.

The origins of both names are from literature [surprise!]. Regan is one of the evil daughters in Shakespeare's "King Lear." She conspires to strip her father of his power, murders the servant who kills her husband, vies with her sister for the affections of another man with her husband's body barely cold in the grave, and is poisoned by her own sister in a fit of jealousy.

I changed the spelling a bit to Reagan.

O'Connor is from the great American author Flannery O'Connor.

Both names are representative of my Irish heritage, with a bit of a nod to U.S. President Ronald Reagan.

I am the master of my fate/I am the captain of my soul.

• WhyNow2000
    WhyNow2000

People (jw friends and relatives) kept asking me why now I keep asking questions after all this years. That was in the early part of 2000. That's the year I decided why this religion is not for me. I am in the fading stage. I am soo faded, I can barely see myself:-)

• outnfree
    outnfree

Well, mine's pretty obvious, isn't it?

I had posted a very few times on H2O as JR93 (my sister's initials and the year of her death) because she, although having studied with the Witnesses had the smarts to say -- about 15 years before I did -- "They're just men. So I just try to live my life the way I think Christ would." Such words of wisdom and she would be so proud to know that I'm finally

outnfree!

• idaho
    idaho

My real name is Finn and live in Norway . IDAHO is short for "IDAHO FLYNN" which is an anagram (rearrange the letters and make a new word)
    for my whole english transliterated name, Finn ------. I liked
    "idaho flynn" that much that I have seemed to adopt it.
    Another GREAT anagram of my name is "I hold fanny" which definitely
    is a ID I would love to live up to
    I am not a JW but I truly enjoy this "great crowd".

Hilsen
    "I hold fanny"
    Finn

• lookingnow22
    lookingnow22

I just turned 22, and am now looking for answers. Or maybe I'm looking for better questions. Some things made me start looking first, and most importantly at myself, and my family. Then I started looking at my God, and finally my religion. I think that it's time for a break though, all of this looking has made me quite tired in many ways.

Looking Now (that I'm) 22

p.s. - I wish that I hadn't waited this long to start looking.

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

Hey Idaho,

My girlfriend is from Norway..man them norweigan girls are HOT!!

I visited Oslo, Norway last winter..very beautiful country..makes the United States look like a third world country, man people there gots MONEY. And class. The style and fashion is light years ahead of the United States, breakdancing is a respected form of dance that is taught in dance schools. Norweigan hip-hop is very good (tommy T is a big producer there)

The lead singer of AQUA is norweigan, as is liv tyler (half norweigan anyway) Norweigans invented the paper clip as well as the cheese slicer.

While I was in Norway i went into a gift shop to buy some trolls and the woman there spoke only norweigan and japanese, since i didn't speak norweigan (other than a few odd phrases, ya elske di for example) I communicated with her in Japanese...she was delighted to meet someone who could speak japanese in Norway hehe.

You guys have excellent chocolate, a weird facination with donald duck and a very very amazing top of the line state of the art put all others to shame airport where all the workers travel by scooter.

Norway is awsome! And there is a HELL in norway. It's quite pleasant actually.

-Dan

• mustang
    mustang

Englishman,

Good idea. Thanks. It would have been a good, but probably futile guessing game, in my case.

Mustang could be about cars, i.e. the now perennial Ford Mustang. But its not.

It could be about airplanes, i.e. the North American P-51 Mustang fighter. I happen to have the original plans for this machine, as my ex-business partner left them to me. His Dad was a test pilot for NA & gave him a set of drawings for a birthday present. He was working on a replica when he died. I am a pilot and have worked in aerospace, but this isn't the one, either.

It could be about the wild horses running free, but it isn't, exactly.

Growing up, I always wanted to be a scientist. Fat chance, as a JW kid, right? I studied everything that I could on the subject, but ended up with little real prospects of higher education. Due to the traditional JW lack of support for higher education, I missed the prime window for schooling. Ideally, that is just after high school, with support from family and those around you. This is important, as once you start some sort of job that will become your career, finding time to go back to school is difficult.

I pioneered for some length of time. Then I began the slow driftaway. That was pretty successful, except for my Dad's tracking me down.

Over the years, I studied what I needed at the moment, but being on my own, I never properly finished school. I am one of those who needed the advantage of the home environment for that, I suppose.

However, I got my first job in industry as an aerospace technician. A promotion here, there and regularly led me into more involved technical duties. Programming school got me into the computer industry. One thing lead to another, and suddenly I looked around with Engineer on my title. My experience and piecemeal study was working. That job was successful and so were the rest of them. Soon, it was Senior Engineer and even Principal Engineer.

By dint of immense private study, some actual school/higher education and ap-plication of practical experience, I made it!!! I found out that Engineers can get paid better than scientists, anyway.

But how about the name? The US Marine Corp has a term for an officer who 'came up through the ranks'. That is an experienced person who didn't do the normal school system thing. They send them to their own school, of course, but these people did it the hard way.

They are called MUSTANGs!!!!

So my handle/screen name/call sign is a tribute to SUCCESS IN SPITE OF THE JERKS IN BROOKLYN!!!

Mustang

• think41self
    think41self

((((Riz))))

I don't know WHERE you get these ideas about me and Dana.

think41self

"When agnostics die, do they go to the great perhaps"?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit