Oh May We Ever Live Up To Our Chosen Name!

by Englishman 75 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

There are some really weird and interesting names on this site. Just out of interest, lets swap details of how we selected our chosen "stage name", it could be fun!

I chose "Englishman" when I first started to lurk at H20. The first few posts that I read were really "witnessy", so I thought that, as it seemed to be a pro-witness site, I would pretend to be a goody-goody and then, when accepted, launch my apostate bombs across the Atlantic as I declared war on a pro-witness USA.

I quickly realised my error, by which time I was a fully registered player, so I kept the name. I also discovered that Americans were basically a good hearted bunch even if they do drive on the wrong side of the road and spell things inkoreckly.

So, why not confess all and tell us, how did you come by your "moniker"?

Englishman.

..... fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Well I wanted and annon. handle on H2O so I picked Venice, because we were in Italy a few years back and I fell in love with the place. Now I don't care about being annon, but it just kinda stuck!

Ven

"The best way to convince a fool that he is wrong, is to let him have his own way."---Josh Billings

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

Mine is because a big part of my life as a former drone is being a breakdancer. I have been breakdancing for close to 4 years now. All breakdancers have a dance name, mine is neko (japanese for cat..i like cats) and the bboy is the title all male breakdancers use. bgirl is the female version. Noone knows exactly what bboy stands for anymore, since breakdancing started in the bronxe of new york it has been said that it satnds for Bronxe Boy..i tend to think this is correct. Another theory is it stands for boogie boy. And of course, break boy.

By the way, breakdancing isn't called break dancing because it hurts or you break stuff, it's called this because you dance to break beats. This music is called big beats in the UK I beleive. Break beats came about when DJ's (mostly puerto rican) started taking the 'breaks' in music especially from james brown records that had no lyrics but only drums and bass...then they looped the break over and over. That's pretty much how hip hop and rap started. When you get such a basic beat, poeple started freestyling ryhming lyrics..thats rap. And the break dancing was the dance inveted to dance for it. Breakdancing probably got it's start from the little-known brazillian martial art known as capoeirs..if any of you havent seen it you MUST. It's one of the most beautiful martial arts i've ever seen, with it's own interesting history involving slaves imported to brazil by poteguese slave traders.

Anyway, the 4 elements of hip-hop are breakdancing, graffiti art, mcing (raping) and djing.

A history in hip hop and my favirote music movement for y'asll! hehehe.
    By the way, the UK breakdancers are among the best in the world, especially germany.
    -Dan

• SlayerLayer
    SlayerLayer

For those of you that have been living under a rock and don't know who Buffy The Vampire Slayer is:

Therefore:
    Slayer--as in Buffy
    Layer--as in I WISH!

SlayerLayer

Another name I've used is Species8472. The only race to have avoided assimilation by the borg.

• tattoogrl333
    tattoogrl333

I thought bboy was short for the Beastie Boys? Back home my friends and I used to lay down cardboard from boxes and pretend we could breakdance it was kind of funny. I remember the Worm was a popular move.

Anyways I'm a girl and I have tattoo's, I love tattoo's and one day I want to be a big tattoo. Hence: Tattoogrl The 333 is cuz 3 is my favorite number and what could be better then 3 3's.

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

the term bboy pre-dates the beastie boys by quite a lot..breakdancing started in mid to late 70's and the media caught on in the early 80's especially 1982-84.

Someone 10 years from now will be like 'I thought bboy stood for backstreet boy?'

hehehe
    -Dan

• freakshow
    freakshow

Hmm I love freak shows, sure there really aren't too many around but i find the history fascinating. I love midgets and anything out of the ordinary. Unusual is good. Hey tat, maybe if I start my own freak show you could be my tattoo'd lady. I'm also looking to fill the position of bearded lady, anyone interested?????????/

• tattoogrl333
    tattoogrl333

backstreet boys? who are they?

just kidding

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Well, mine is self-explanatory, I think. I am non-toxic to children, my own anyway!! (I hope!)

Actually, mine is due to the entire lack of children's rights in the bORG, and the world in general. And on a personal level b/c of what I endured as a child growing up in the WTS and what my own children suffered there as well. I too wanted to be anonymous at first but that kinda went out the window when I posted my pic!! LOL But hey, what is life if you can't live dangerously, right??? (That's tongue-in-cheek, in case anyone missed it).

Dana

"Someday we'll find it...the rainbow connection...the lovers, the dreamers and me"

Kermit the Frog
    "Rainbow Connection"

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Hi all, I'm new but I've been reading you all for 2 years now.

I'm Pubsinger because, guess what, I sing in pubs! And in Working Mens and Social clubs. Englishman will know all about them because the beer is cheaper there!!

I make a reasonable living playing my guitar and singing covers of other peoples stuff. It beats working anyway!

And it didn't half cause a stink when I was a Witness, but not as big a stink as when I was in a 4 piece busking band with other brothers.
    We were making a fortune with our street entertainment. I was a Ministerial Servant ant Reg. Pio. at the time. The Elders absolutely freaked! They wrote to the Society to get us shut down. Amazingly they wrote back and said it was a matter of conscience.

So 12 years later and still singing!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit