I still think it might be the truth - what is wrong with me?

by slimboyfat 126 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• adelmaal
    adelmaal

You go with your bad self slimfatboy. Enjoy your life of JW bliss. Who are we to rain on your parade?

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Hey slimboy, just wondering.. do you still consider yourself Christian? Do you take the old testament literally as per the JW interpretation?

GBL

• seven006
    seven006

Min,

That's what I pay you for pal.

Dave

• Whiskeyjack
    Whiskeyjack

Hey Slim,

Could you be a little more specific? Are you talking about chronology (and hence the FDS legitimacy?) or other doctrine (two flocks vs. one flock, etc...) or just the org.'s "fruits"?

I'm now agnostic myself (but hopeful!) and it was the dysfunction that I observed as an adolescent that made my mind up. While we like to think all our decisions are based on rational logic, many are based on emotion. This is especially true when religion organized in a complicated social structure is involved (we're all herd animals, sociopaths notwithstanding).

One danger I saw in my one of my siblings was the desire to "go back" to the "herd" but it was an emotional motivation, not the result of logical/thinking in regards to the "facts". Starting over from scratch (philisophical search for meaning in life, etc...) is not fun and one may be searching the rest of one's life.

W.

• Pole
    Pole

No offence sbf, but I think you might be one of those people who take pride in being resistant to the truth about the truth. You have quite a community there: Schizm, scholar, joker10 and a friend in need are your buddies.

And please make your argument. I haven't noticed any. What is it exactly that you want to discuss on this thread? Your mental health?

If so, then I feel entitled to inform you that you have an emotional problem. It has nothing to do with your intelligence or knowledge. No need to boast how many apostate books you've read. This actually doesn't help you come across any better. To the contrary...

BTW, isn't it so common for all JW apologists? They have absolutely no argument to make. Just empty assertions... Sigh...

Pole

• zen nudist
    zen nudist
    People on this board tend to follow a similar implicit assumption:

'An apostate is just a Jehovah's Witness who has been mugged by reality'

But I have had many run ins with reality - yet he has left my Watchtower wallet in tact.

Why?

JWs are slick when it comes to logic, they present things in such a way that only two possibilities seem viable, when there can be many other possibilities.... but its hard to argue with books and magazines and their binary this or that seems very compelling, but if you dont challenge it you will be lead to their conclusions easily.

for every experience attempt to find at least three valid beliefs, you will find the more you do this the less falsely certain you will be for any view of things.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Trying to beat Holly's thread, SBF? Maybe people have learnt something if you haven't.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I just don't find apostates credible - that's one thing.

Ray Franz did not have a "crisis of conscience" - he was kicked out. He would have stayed if he could (read his book carefully)

Schnell was a nut case.

Apostates on this site pretty much admit that one main reason they left was because they did not want to live up to Bible standards (please don't eat me alive for saying this - it is true)

Also:

Chronology - Witnesses made mistakes - so what! Early Chrisitians also made mistakes.

The Trinity - the Bible does not teach a Trinity, Jehovah's Witnesses are right.

The UN thing - so what if the Witnesses joined the UN, what's the big deal?

Jehovah's name - Jehovah's Witnesses are the only ones who preach God's name.

For every apostate complaint there is a reasonable answer, it seems to me.

• talesin
    talesin

Exercise your free will.

Make a conscious choice to no longer remain in denial.

• kls
    kls

Chronology - Witnesses made mistakes - so what! Early Chrisitians also made mistakes.

This maybe true but the Early Chrisitians did not speak of being spoken to by God, the direct channel as the wt does.So why the mistakes if God is in communication with the wt?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit