What kind of music do you listen to?

by Dustin 108 Replies latest jw friends

• prophecor
    prophecor

Gil Scott Heron, Donald Byrd and the Blackbyrds, The Last Poets, Ice Cube, Ice Tee, Public Enemy, Sarah Mc Glaucklin ( uncertain as to spelling last name) The eye of the Angel, melts my center soul, I Too Despise Kenny G., that's got to be the most irritating saxophone player in history, why you do that ? what is that thing you do back and forth with the notes?, you stop that,.......

Dianne Reeves, Brenda Russell, Barabara Striesand ( though I'll never admit to owning any of her albums ) Old Blue Eyes is becoming a true favorite as I reach out to that nostalgic time in history when things seemed a little simpler, Breakwater, The Ohio Players,( Player's Classic...Sweet Sticky Thing!!! )uhhhmmm!, Bootsie's Rubber Band, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, Confunksion, Pleasure, Tower of Power, Chic, ahhhhhh Freak Out!Heatwave," Posin till Closin ", Chaka Khan, Chaka Khan, Chaka Khan, Chaka Khan, Chaka Khan, did I say Chaka Khan? "What am I Missing?"

Travis Tritt, Randy Travis, The Eagles, Don Henley, Stanley Clarke, Joyce Kennedy, who did " Stronger Than Before as did Chaka Khan ", Switch, Debarge, AC/DC, Live, Foreigner, ZZ Top,

Stevie Ray Vaughn, was a Voodo Child !!!, literally yall," May I Have a Talk With You? ", energy and mastery over his instrument, there will never, ever be another guitarist like him period. Ever.

Van Halen before the Titanic disaster. " Top Jimmy ", " Hot for Teacher ", " Jamie's Crying ", " Ice Cream Man " " I'll Wait ", " Running With the Devil "

I could go on but I think I've made my case so far.

• Brummie
    Brummie

Some good vocalists there prophecor, did you ever see Chaka in concert? I saw her in 1990, she was aweful. I do like and have a lot of her stuff though, the stuff she did with Rufus was excellent.

Talking of great vocalist, remember Curtis hairston & the bbq band?

• prophecor
    prophecor

Not familliar with Curtis Hairston, and I have seen CK perform live, but that was in the late 70's when I lived an entirely different life than now. They had the nerve to have dance concerts at what then was called the Spectrum in Philly.

If I remember correctly, brother Grahm was performing that night as well, it was a miniature disaster as Ms Khan had to come out of herself and just relate to everyone how stupid and foolish we all were once the fights started, and once someone got to running, it had a tendency to create a domino effect, one runs and the entire sea of humanity runs. Gang violence had not quite dissapated yet and we all were kinda' paranoid about being shot, or shot at, refer was also quite prevalent during those days as well, which can make anyone back in those days paranoid to begin with.

Can you still smoke weed in a public place like a concert hall anymore?

I have seen her perform live on Saturday Night Live and to say the least, I was truly dissapointed, she does outstanding in a studio, but I don't know what's missing when she gets on stage.

Gotta' Love Her Tho!!!

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Jazz....I forgot to add that!

• Little Red Hen
    Little Red Hen

On radio, classical, Dvorak especial favorite. CDs, mostly jam, like live grateful dead, moe. ozark mountain daredevils, left over salmon (poly ethnic cajun slamgrass), stuff by groups that allow and encourage tapers (free distribution). Jazz, Blues, english punk, anything that gets this old bod movin and groovin. Too many influences to mention. It's all good!

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch
    VAN HALEN---not van hagar

Ok, Sammy couldn't command the stage like Roth, but Eddie and the rest didn't do too badly with The Red Rocket. Vocally I think it was a bit better. Musically - well - some hits some misses.

I forgot to mention U2!

And because I'm shameless and none of you really know who I am in person: I will admit to liking a handful of songs from The Bangles, Expose, and Madonna.

• prophecor
    prophecor

I try to keep myself open to all types of music, though R&B is what I was raised on, I became exposed to other types of music by becoming a musician.

I have a natural propensity for rock music such as Van Halen, Pink Floyd, Crowded House, Tears for Fears, even Boy George, but I listen to anything that sounds good musically, or things that may strike a chord with me lyrically. Even the crungiest song can have a good effect on me if the lyrics are able to get me to think.

I also get a chance to see how the other side of life feels for others not of my gender or ethnic persuasion, we all have a voice and that voice is so well crafted thru music of everyone.

• AloneinOh
    AloneinOh

Jethro tull, Rush, Ronnie James Dio, VanHalen (David Lee only, no Sammy), Ozzy, Zepplin, Sabbath, Rainbow, Ian Hunter, Steely Dan, Genesis, Queen

a few that I don't normally admit.....Psychadelic Furs,The Hooters, D'vinyls, Pat Benatar, Marty Robbins (Gunfighter love songs and ballads)

• Beachbender
    Beachbender

Excellent thread Dustin! This is my favorite topic!

I`m just a hard rock gal from way back!! Totally into the new stuff: Chevelle, Tool ,Breaking

Benjamin, Velvet Revolver, AIC, HoobStank, Incubus, Disturbed, SevenDust,Doubledrive........

Old stuff: Dream Theater, QueensRyche, Scorpions, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani,Metallica, Rush......

My husband plays in a band locally, he`s the lead singer, and backup guitar player so I`m

around music everyday, all day!! My 13 year old son is into music totally he plays drums,

bass, and keyboards already!! I love it!!!

• under74
    under74

Brummie like Rufus? Me too.

I would say I like a lot of different types the stuff I've had in the Cd player lately are-

Mos Def, Left Banke, Maxwell, Bobby Caldwell, GrandMaster Flash, Alice in Chains (yes, I'm from Seattle), Flying Burrito Brothers, Mazi Starr, D'Angelo.....this list goes on

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit