I'm gettin me a couple more wives!

by gumby 117 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gumby
    gumby

Ok ok ...I just got confused little joke

I'm only heardheaded when I gotta pee real bad in the mornings. I used ta git hearheaded often....now it's only when I gotta pee.

Gumby

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

You're asking for trouble.......................

• gumby
    gumby
    You're asking for trouble.......................

"Trouble's my middle name sweetie" * acts like a tough cowboy* Country woman......do YOU think I'm heardheaded? Gumby

• jgnat
    jgnat

Now, guys, Big Tex was graciously considering the woman's side of the equation, here. The man could only bed the same wife/concubine once in three years. That would make for a whole bunch of cranky women!

Proverbs 21:19
    It is better to dwell in the wilderness, than with a contentious and an angry woman.

Proverbs 27:15
    A continual dropping in a very rainy day and a contentious woman are alike.

...and while we are at it, let's get the maths right. Solomon had a total of a thousand wives/concubines. If a man's boastings are to be taken as gospel.

1 Kings 11:1-3
    But king Solomon loved many strange women, together with the daughter of Pharaoh, women of the Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Zidonians, and Hittites: Of the nations concerning which the LORD said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall not go in to them, neither shall they come in unto you: for surely they will turn away your heart after their gods: Solomon clave unto these in love. And he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines: and his wives turned away his heart

Big Tex is right. Each woman would get her man once in every 2.7 years. If he kept at it every night.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gumby:

1. Mt.19:9 Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
    2. Mk.10:11 Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her.
    3. 1 Cor.7:2 Let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.
    4. Eph.5:33 Let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.

A question for you. In view of what he said, how do you think Jesus might have phrased his comments to a polygamous culture (given that Judaism was broadly monogamous at that time)?

In connection with the first two texts, how does that apply if he doesn't put away his first wife?
    In connection with the last two texts, doesn't that apply equally well to the polygamous?
    You need only replace wife (singular) for wives (plural), and you are sorted.
    How would Jesus have addressed a mix group of monogamous, unmarried and polygamous people, with that message?

I guess another way to put it would be what would he say to Abraham, Jacob or David?
    Abraham only had the one wife, but he took her slave-girl effectively as a concubine.

I personally think he was just addressing women's rights, under the marital arrangement.

jgnat:Do you think that indicates that he potentially took more to bed, every night, than just one?

All is vanity...

• jgnat
    jgnat

I figure Solomon kept them around to keep him warm at night, like squirmy teddy bears. 1 Kings 1:1-4

• gumby
    gumby
    A question for you. In view of what he said, how do you think Jesus might have phrased his comments to a polygamous culture (given that Judaism was broadly monogamous at that time)?

He mighta said..."Whats wrong with you...you sick buncha perverts! My dad don't like this crap ya know! If my dad woulda wanted you bastards to have two wives, he woulda made Adam two Eves. Now then....divorce the ugly one with no money, and keep the one with the nice arse and has lot's a dough"

I'm just guessin though.

Gumby

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

True, he could have said that
    Given the interaction of God with folks in the OT, I suspect that it was a non-issue, though.
    Besides, whilst the bride of the lamb is spoken of in the singular, don't most people expect that she will be made up of lots of individuals?

What's your opininon of churchleaders (including JW's) who tell people they have to divorce all their wives except the first, in cultures where polygamy is widely accepted?

LOL @ jgnat.
    You know that girls name was Abi-shag, don't you?
    ROFL

1Ki 1:1 NWT - Now King David was old, advanced in days; and they would cover him with garments, but he would not feel warm. So his servants said to him: "Let them look for a girl, a virgin, for my lord the king, and she will have to attend upon the king, that she may become his nurse; and she must lie in your bosom, and my lord the king will certainly feel warm." And they went looking for a beautiful girl throughout all the territory of Israel, and finally found Ab'i·shag the Shu'nam·mite and then brought her in to the king. And the girl was beautiful in the extreme; and she came to be the king's nurse and kept waiting upon him, and the king himself had no intercourse with her.

• gumby
    gumby

LT...in all fairness...you bring up some good points.

Here's some more info I found on the subject,

"There is evidence of the practice of polygamy in Palestinian Judaism in NT times (cf. J. Jeremias, Jerusalem in the Time of Jesus: An Investigation into Economic and Social Conditions during the New Testament Period, 1969, 90, 93, 369f.). Herod the Great (37-4 B.C.) had ten wives (Josephus, Ant. 17, 19f.; War 1,562) and a considerable harem (War 1,511). Polygamy and concubinage among the aristocracy is attested by Josephus, Ant. 12, 186ff.; 13, 380; War 1, 97. The continued practice of levirate marriage (Yeb. 15b) evidently led to polygamy, which was countenanced by the school of Shammai but not by that of Hillel.

Gumby

• toreador
    toreador

My wife wont go for it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit