Public breastfeeding

by simplesally 174 Replies latest members private

• TrailBlazer04
    TrailBlazer04

Cassiline wrote:

Many women quit breast feeding because it is too painful, and it is very painful to begin with. As I said above the nipple becomes calloused to the point that there is virtually no feeling in the manner that you speak.

I'll drink to that!!! To put it bluntly...it felt like my spine was getting sucked out the front...OMG...the first couple of weeks I cried when I fed each one...(it never got any "easier" with each newborn...over time it did).

Regarding little boys and erections...that's "sexual"??? Uh...sure...

And whoever made the comment about teenaged boys feeling some excitement when watching a mom nursing a baby...teenaged boys get excited over anything and everything...a pretty girl, a good breeze, imagination, a TV commercial, girls in soccer uniforms, the National Geographic, Victoria's Secret commercials...

Oh well...IF I had it to do over, I still would have nursed my trio...and not given a flying rat's behind about what anyone else thought or thinks.....

TB

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Pete also with a second child you have what is calle "After pains" That means that the suckling actually stimulates the hormonal flow and your uterus contracts....great for you lil tummy later but HURTS LIKE A MO FO at the time....... There were times it was so painful I had to hand the baby to Thunder to recover from the pain........But I'd do it again in a heartbeat cause I had healthy happy kids

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    I'll drink to that!!! To put it bluntly...it felt like my spine was getting sucked out the front...OMG...the first couple of weeks I cried when I fed each one...(it never got any "easier" with each newborn...over time it did).

Damn I used to curl my toes and fist my hands so tight I thought my toes were going to touch my heel and my fingers were going to pierce my palms. It hurts in hte beginning and did not get any easier with the birth of each child.

LOL @ spine getting sucked through your front.

Cassi

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    stimulates the hormonal flow and your uterus contracts

That was the worst IMO, then dealing with the soreness of the breasts. God Shelia you made my toes curl in pain remembering those horrible contractions!

Cassi

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I used the term :sexual" as the medical profession does, referring to a system of chemical and anatomical responses normally associated with intimate social bonding and reproduction. The problem in so many of these types of conversations is the 'moral loading' of words. The stormy reaction I illicited is I'm sure due to the passionate desire to protect children from abusers as well as a defensive posture at some perceived insinuation that mothers are perversly using their children for gratification when nursing. I share both your stalwart resolve to protect youth from abusers as well as the beauty and appropriateness of nursing. I have had a couple PMs recommending I end this conversation as my words have already been grossly misconstrued and it would only advance to worse. Yet I feel no little indignation at being addressed as an ignorant jackass and pervert for providing mothers with a perspective that obviously had never occurred to some. I also needed to clear my good name. I hope I have done that to the satisfaction of those who wish to reread my posts isolated from the unwarranted responses they unfortunately illicited.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Breast feeding is supposed to make for more intelligent children. I breast fed till I was 5 years old (no I'm not joking about that) and I was in all the gifted classes as a child. Unfortunately I grew to be as dumb as a rock as an adult, but at least I was an intelligent child

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    I used the term :sexual" as the medical profession does, referring to a system of chemical and anatomical responses normally associated with intimate social bonding and reproduction. The problem in so many of these types of conversations is the 'moral loading' of words.
    . I hope I have done that to the satisfaction of those who wish to reread my posts isolated from the unwarranted responses they unfortunately illicited

Bull!!! Pete reread your comments they were not just speaking of the medical scientific definition. Whatever back-peddle all you like, it does not change what you were saying and said.

Here are a few:

urinating and sex are also natural yet as a society we have decided they are private matters.
    The breast is sexually arousing for some very complex reasons that are inseparable with the experience we had as infants or at least the instincts that drive the infant to the breast from the womb.
    Many heterosexual women, according to surveys, are aroused at the sight and sound of suckling.
    Sex is not dirty nor shameful nor in my opinion is any other body function (including urination for that matter) so my comparison to breast feeding is valid.

She whipped out a breast and suckled her child in the seat next to me. Through out the program she kept turning to tell us how she liked what she was hearing. I had to get out of there and take a walk.
    The discomfort felt by some may in fact be a defense mechanism that seeks to push away that which stimulates unwanted feelings.

Many pediatricians forwarn mothers of this in ffact so they don't freak out. THIS does NOT mean the nursing is wrong or that it is harmful in any way, it is just biology. Perhaps this imprints upon the person so that sucking a breast is sexually satisfying?

I do not feel the fact that nursing is a sexual act (about 41% of mothers interviewed by Masterson felt some arousal)

Mothers should not feel ashamed if they or the infant experience arousal while breastfeeding as this an autonomic responce to innocent and natural contact.

What, do tell, did people did prior to formula and the male making women?s breast into something so sexualized that a woman can not perform the most natural of tasks?

Men need to be desensitized!~~ Corvin

The stormy reaction I illicited is I'm sure due to the passionate desire to protect children from abusers as well as a defensive posture at some perceived insinuation that mothers are perversly using their children for gratification when nursing.

You are the one who implied that woman and children were turned on sexually by nursing and that is perverse since you have no clue about it quite obviously. Reading does not give one first hand knowledge.

I share both your stalwart resolve to protect youth from abusers as well as the beauty and appropriateness of nursing.

Great don?t make it into something it is not. It does promote bonding and the only feeling most mothers feel is that of relief and pain.

Yet I feel no little indignation at being addressed as an ignorant jackass and pervert for providing mothers with a perspective that obviously had never occurred to some. I also needed to clear my good name.

Don?t you think mothers are fully aware of what is happening to her body without your pointing out something we supposedly don?t know from a man and whose perspective is skewed IMO?

Ok, sure there are perverts out there who get off on watching or hearing a breast feeding mother, which is your problem and theirs. Thanks for the heads up Pete. They ( men who feel such) need to reevaluate why something so natural would elicit such a perverted response one where you fully admit having to take a walk after watching and hearing a mother feed her child. It is those men who need to adjust their viewpoint we do not have to change for men who can?t control themselves.

We are feeding a baby for crying out loud not trying to entertain men.

Edit to add:

Pete

Please look up information on 'conditioning' the breast starting months before breast feeding to make them tough. Suggestions are at first using a soft wash cloth rubbing the nipple 3 times a day for 15 minutes gently until you move on up to being a little more rough. Then you move up to soft toothbrushes for 15 minutes 3 times a day and then hard tooth brushes, to make the nipple tough so you can handle the pain better when the baby starts to suckle.

Cassi

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

If your here your smarter than at least 6,000,000 people.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    If your here your smarter than at least 6,000,000 people.

So that gives you the knowledge about breast feeding which you have never experienced? Damn I should have joined sooner! LMAO Cassi

• wasasister
    wasasister

I think we should let Pete off the hook. In many ways, he's done this thread a favor. The first page or so of posts were all extremely PRO public breast feeding (even those few who hinted that they liked to watch.)

Along came Pete with a dissenting opinion and we all got a foil with whom to parry and thrust our opposing views. Some very interesting and valid perspectives of breast feeding have resulted and I doubt the thread would have gone on for 8 pages without Pete's thoughts. For that, I am grateful.

I'd also like to play "Devil's Advocate" for Pete and remind everyone that he likely comes from a demographic that thought differenly about the female form. From what he's revealed, he is a mature white male who had some authority as a JW. You can't expect him to embrace new ideas overnight.

He has given a fair and polite exposition of his views and although I was highly offended by his initial entry, subsequent posts have shown more reasonableness.

I will concede this one point, Pete: Whenever possible, a nursing mother is better off to seek out a quiet, private spot to feed her baby. HOWEVER, the reasons for doing this have more to do with the comfort of mother and child, rather than the discomfort of onlookers.

Pete, you're an OK guy. I hope you have learned a different perspective by reading through this thread. I hope many of you have.

Wasa/Mom

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit