What's Your Opinion Regarding Spanking A Child?

by minimus 95 Replies latest jw friends

• Xena
    Xena

I have to say though I have seen some parents who don't spank but verbally abuse and humiliate their children, to me this is a lot worse than a tap on the ass.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

I think it depends on the individual personality of the child as to whether a spanking is the only thing that'll work as appropriate discipline. Some ya do....and some ya don't.

Frannie B

• Mulan
    Mulan

All I have to say on this is from personal experience. I was spanked, but not often. It worked on me, and I would mind to keep from getting spanked.

I spanked our kids, and they all turned out to be great people. Maybe it was different times, but they are all grown now, and well adjusted.

I can probably count on one hand how many times Princess was spanked. She was a very easy child, and so was her younger brother. The older boys were more of a challenge, but they responded well to that kind of discipline. It was never done in anger though...................although I do remember smacking the eldest with a wooden spoon (across his arm) when he was 16 because he smarted off at me. I was pregnant, and the spoon broke on him, and I burst into tears. He figured he was dead meat for making his pregnant mother cry.

His next youngest brother was more of a smart mouth, and I would put liquid soap on my fingers and walk up to him and act like I was going to pat his cheek, and would stick my soapy fingers in his mouth. He learned from that experience.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Xena: I agree...verbal abuse can be worse than spanking out of anger. But I can't stand seeing either.

• Dansk
    Dansk

I spanked my kids but I was in the JW mindset. Now, I'd never lift a finger to a child. There are others ways to dish out punishment. I regret the day I ever raised my hands to any of my children. The most beautiful memories I cherish are my children telling me they love me. My 14-year-old son still tells me even today. I hug my two boys every day at home, the older is 19. The JWs taught us that to spare the rod is to spoil the child. That's absolute nonesense. I wouldn't ever physically hurt my children again and they know it. My sons and I get on wonderfully well. I want to be remembered by my children for anything but being a spanker. Loving counsel is the way I'd handle things today.

Ian

• Princess
    Princess
    although I do remember smacking the eldest with a wooden spoon (across his arm) when he was 16 because he smarted off at me. I was pregnant, and the spoon broke on him, and I burst into tears. He figured he was dead meat for making his pregnant mother cry.

I watched that happen and figured he was dead meat too.

Unfortunately, he survived.

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

I agree with Yery

Never punish when you're angry

Physically punish when the child endangers himself or others (i.e. a smack on the hand when you catch them trying to stick the paper clip into the electrical outlet)

For open defiance...when they tell you NO when you ask them to pick up a toy and put it away...or ignore you....a solid swat on the behind is appropriate...which is why God gave us so much padding back there as kids.

After age 10 or 11 physical punishment is generally out of order with some exceptions.

But spanking/punishing should be done by (loving) parents (no teachers) and a good argument is allways better.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim
    Ya mean like the part about feeding widows and orphans?

Doing unto others?

Those concepts are from the OLD TESTAMENT Simon.

Simon, the research shows that kids that are ABUSED turn out violent...kids that are physically disciplined in an appropriate manner turn out to be quite well adjusted.

• doogie
    doogie

i was never, ever spanked as a kid. my parents (who were and still are diehard JW's) not only never physically disciplined us but they wouldn't stand for us kids being physically violent with each other. my household was of the belief that violence (even in moderation or without anger) is never, ever the answer.

all i can say is it worked awesome with us. i would never spank my kids (yeah, the kids i have that don't exist yet) and i am grateful to my parents for being so strict with regards to physical violence. that's not to say that me and my brothers never physically fought, but we were severely punished after.

i agree with some of the earlier posts that verbal discipline can be just as harsh as spanking. sometimes even it can be even more brutal.

• blondie
    blondie
    Ya mean like the part about feeding widows and orphans?

Doing unto others?

Those concepts are from the OLD TESTAMENT Simon.

Time out for a Bible lesson.

"do unto others" words of Jesus Christ found at Matthew 7:12 (New Testament)

"widows and orphans" words of James at James 1:27 (New Testament)

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit