What's Your Opinion Regarding Spanking A Child?

by minimus 95 Replies latest jw friends

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

It is sad that some of us got beaten spanked so much, that sometimes the parent didn't even realize what they were spanking the child for, and when asked why, was told "Well, it was for a time when you should have gotten one, but didn't". Nice, Real nice....

BTW-A hand would have been a welcome change for me, compared to the hangers-(Which by the way make wonderful welts on the back and arms), belts, fists, curling irons, and other goodies within arms reach with which to mete out much needed discipline, and the occasional "I hate you, your not my son" , added for special impact. Sometimes I didn't even know that one was coming til I got the obligatory surprised backhand across the face, then knew what was to come.

Sorry for the Venting......

That is one reason why I would never spank a child.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

The Man with the Yellow Dog said:

BTW-A hand would have been a welcome change for me, compared to the hangers-(Which by the way make wonderful welts on the back and arms), belts, fists, curling irons, and other goodies within arms reach with which to mete out much needed discipline, and the occasional "I hate you, your not my son" , added for special impact. Sometimes I didn't even know that one was coming til I got the obligatory surprised backhand across the face, then knew what was to come.

Sorry for the Venting......

That is one reason why I would never spank a child.

Sorry dude. And on the other hand I was almost never spanked and needed it. So I used it, rarely, as a tool the help my son.

We are funny folk, we humans.

• Corvin
    Corvin

Haven't spanked my kids in years.

We all know that spanking, especially in the KH bathrooms, has always been suggested and encouraged, either directly or indirectly. I never heard of one person objecting to the screams and cries of toddlers and young children coming from the KH bathroom in all my years going to the meetings. In this instance, spanking is nothing more than a method of breaking a child's spirit and conditioning them to live their lives in a cult.

Spanking, if used at all, should only be used as a last resort. It should only be illegal since many parents don't know when spanking is appropriate. They use it too excessively instead of talking and reasoning with their children, or using other methods of discipline to teach them.

There are some kids, however, I look at and think, "man, that little brat needs his/her ass tore up". In only some cases, a swat on the arse is the best attention getter.

Corvin

• Mary
    Mary

I guess I'm in the minority here........I believe in spanking children--------within reason. A few years ago, I was talking to a brain-dead sister after the meeting. Her kids were rotten little brats - never disciplined. Anyway, her 5 year old decided that I was taking up too much of her mommy's attention, so she kicked me as hard as she could. Her brain dead mother did absolutely nothing, so I calmly spanked the little brat twice on her bum (through her dress) and said "if you ever kick me again, you'll get it twice as hard." She looked at me, totally stunned and took off. Guess what? She never kicked me again.

There's various forms of discipline and each child is different and I'm not saying that you should spank your kid for everything they do wrong---you shouldn't. However, when it's warranted (like in the above scenario as far as I'm concerned), it should be done.

Unfortunately, it seems that alot of parents go from one extreme to another: either they don't discipline their kids at all, or they beat them. While I believe spanking can be a correct form of discipline, it should never be done out of rage and as far as I'm concerned, the yelling that can so frequently accompany the spanking, does far more damage emotionally than the spanking does.

• anew
    anew

I believe it depends on the child's personality. Some children you look at in an angry way and they crumble others are much more stuborn. I do not believe in abuse by any means, but I would rather spank a very young one across their behind now if that is what is required to get their attention then watch them grow up disrespecting authority and end up in prison or on drugs. It is an individual decision but never in the heat of the moment.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I believe in spanking in a controlled manner. My parents belted me with the electric percolator cord, bent up wire hangers, crutches, whatever they got their hands on. I pretty much got spanked every night, all the time.

I did spank my son. It broke my heart when I had to do it, but I always did it after I calmed down. I never spanked him mad. I never hit him anywwhere but his fanny (one tme hit him in the face and felt so bad) five licks. I calmly explained to him why i was gonna give him a spankin, and then I did it.

I wouldn't take it back now. I think what I did was right. That's the problem with today's youth, they are allowed to run wild with no consequence.

CG

• minimus
    minimus

There's nothing worse than seeing a little brat in a temper tantrum in a public place while mommy tries to "reason" with the child......That's when a child needs a dererved tap on the ass.

• Soledad
    Soledad
    While I believe spanking can be a correct form of discipline, it should never be done out of rage and as far as I'm concerned

but that's exactly what you did with that other person's child isn't it? or am I reading the account wrong?

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

My father was abusive. He had a 2-inch wide leather belt with a brass buckle. He used to get a thrill of making the buckle clang as he came to my room. He would always make me completely undress down to nothing before getting spanked. He did this until I was 17 years old. One can never fully understand the humiliation of getting spanked until they've experienced it in completely naked and on your period with your head and shoulders pinned to the bed under a 200-lb man.

It wasn't until years later that I realized that this type of abuse was really more along the lines of sexual abuse. My dad's purpose was to humiliate and control me. Much like a rapist. That's a hard pill to swallow when you're remembering your "daddy". I vascillate between hating and loving my father. These memories truly make me hate him.

Is it any wonder that I'm almost 33 and not a parent?

• shotgun
    shotgun

(((Billygoat))) That's despicable of your father.

BBgun's mother and I have two different approaches, I do not spank and she does.

She uses the Invisible God of the Universe Jehovah as her touchstone to make BBgun behave properly, please Jah, love Jah, Jah doesn't like that..and so on.

I try to use love of family and wanting to please each other as the touchstone, a tangible and visible relationship which has true meaning. BBgun will sometimes cry when I tell her how much she's hurt my feelings by doing something which endangered herself or by being disrespectful.(maybe girls are different)

She never under any circumstances get disciplined for accidental issues, spilling something or breaking something accidentally.

It's the 18 months to 3 years stage which is little more difficult to figure out. During that time she did get a couple swats on the bum, but very few and she had padding for several months to soften the blow.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit