Whoopi got Whooped!

by Yerusalyim 103 Replies latest social current

• Robdar
    Robdar

Shutterbug, how quick you are to take insult to my remarks and twist them to suit your purpose. If you didn't support the boycott, then don't take insult.

Although "if" was implied in my response, I guess I should have slowed down and typed it so, please accept my apology for not being more clear. Please allow me to rephrase: If you and your ilk don't like it, get the hell out. Wow, I can't count the many times that the right has said that over the last couple of years to the ones who didn't support the war with Iraq.

How quick the right is to invoke the Bill of Rights and yet deny others the same privelege.

As far as any personal attacks may go: my how sensitive the right has suddenly become.

• dubla
    dubla

re: the cheney issue that the left loves to make a big deal out of...........has everyone forgotten that john kerry verbally attacked the president using the f-bomb in a rolling stone interview, and subsequently refused to apologize for it?

aa

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    john kerry verbally attacked the president using the f-bomb

Well lets all boycott Heinz! Heinz didn't do anything directly, but it's a way to punish Kerry and his wife.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    re: the cheney issue that the left loves to make a big deal out of...........has everyone forgotten that john kerry verbally attacked the president using the f-bomb in a rolling stone interview, and afterword refused to apologize for it?

Personally, I don't think either side should have to apologize. I do find it funny that America's sacred cows have proven to be only human after all.

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

If you and your ilk don't like it, get the hell out. Wow, I can't count the many times that the right has said that over the last couple of years to the ones who didn't support the war with Iraq
    I have never said that to or about anyone in my entire life, as I don't agree that someone should leave for expressing an opinion. Plus I am not responsible for what someone else says. Surley you are not saying that by expressing certain opinions I need to agree with everything that anyone who agrees with one or more of my opinions happens to say.

How quick you are to invoke the Bill of Rights and yet deny others the same privelege
    I haven't denied anyone anything. I've been saying all along we all have a right to express our opinions..

As far as any personal attacks may go: my how sensitive the right has suddenly become
    Oh, I'm not all that sensitive, just want to know why you feel compelled to get personal. I'm 67 years old and have managed to grow a thick skin. It's needed when dealing with liberals. .
  • Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Wow, this thread went further than I thought it would, and is more evenly divided than I thought it would be.

ROBDAR,

I think you credit the FREEPERS a bit too much, they aren't that influential. most of them don't drink Slim Fast anyhow...somehow I doubt that the Slim Fast decision had much to do with the threat of boycott from the FREEPERS as it did just plain and simple not wanting to be associated with the vulgarity Whoopi used. Why is THAT so hard to beleive...that a company has standards...Good Democrats like Joe Lieberman are distancing themselves from Whoopi. I guess another problem I have is that you seem to view boycotts as a bad thing...boycotts in the South worked wonders for civil rights...they're all about choice...aren't you pro-choice?

Enormous difference between what Cheney said and what Whoopi said. The VP was in the CLOAK ROOM of the Senate, which is in private...and made his comment directly to Leahy, in a PRIVATE setting. Whoopi made her comments in public...didn't stop with a simple "F" Bush, which would have been wrong but ok (same as it was for cheney) the comment wasn't made to Bush, nor was Bush afforded the opportunity to defend himself...If you don't see the differnce....well, I can't help ya.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    Hi Cassi,

I don't care for the Kerry/Edwards ticket but I must point out that if they had released the video, they would be called all manner of names by the right and all manner of suspicion would be raised. If they don't they are viewed with suspicion also. It's election year and the right will take umbrage at any action the so called left takes. This group can't win with the right, no matter what they do.

Robyn

I don't care for either side. On one hand we have Kerry who denounces Bush for the Abu scandal, yet commited far worse atrocties as an officer in war. He chooses a running mate who is an ambulance chaser that has made health insurance and care almost unatainable to many due to rising costs incured by doctors. There was one case he was offered an out of court settlement for something like 11.5 million, but went to court anyway and won 16.5 million.

The first settleent offer was more than enough. In a way we as tax payers are paying his salary and it stinks. I will look it up but the numbers are close. Then we all know about Bush and Cheney, Halburtrin and this god forsaken war.

You speak of suspicion but it's already there, because they won't release such and this just makes it look worse, perhaps worse than it really is.

On a lighter note Robyn,

I have one of your poems on my fridge and have never looked at french vanilla coffee the same way again! I've missed you!!

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior
    I see what your point is, but I still don't agree... SlimFast had nothing to do with Whoopi's comments. The only reason they threatened to boycott SlimFast was because it was a way to hurt Whoopi. It was a way to punish her, plain and simple.

Slimfast wanted Whoopi Goldberg as their "spokesperson"-a representative of their company and their product. They wanted her because she was popular. If she says or does something that makes her unpopular in the eyes of some- why does it become a matter of the validity of the criterion used to determine popularity by those people? The company chooses someone who appeals to the masses-the largest group they can target.

We don't determine the criterion used for who is chosen as spokespersons for products marketed. That is up to the company itself and one hopes from a business standpoint that they know what they are doing. The people who are pissed off about what she said and/or how she said it are a portion of "the masses" this company is trying to reach with their advertising dollars.

People can say whatever they want-it's a free country. However, if someone decides they want to make money on their popularity by being a spokesperson for a private business, they have to realize that they have to maintain that popularity or they are toast. The popularity that she was being paid for in this instance was a mass appeal thing and by her own actions she pissed off a portion of the masses that Slimfast was trying to reach with her.

Free speech is not just being able to say whatever the hell you want without consequence.

XW

• Robdar
    Robdar
    Oh, I'm not all that sensitive, just want to know why you feel compelled to get personal. I'm 67 years old and have managed to grow a thick skin. It's needed when dealing with liberals.

Shutterbug, having read over my remarks, I do see where you could take insult when I did not mean it as such. I have edited the above post to be more general. Please accept my apologies.

Are you implying that I am a liberal? Why do you insult me in such a manner? Why have you gotten personal with your insults? Oh, Boo Hoo.

Robyn

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug
    Well lets all boycott Heinz! Heinz didn't do anything directly, but it's a way to punish Kerry and his wife

Oh, I don't see any reason for boycotting Heinz. I don't agree with her opinions but as far as I know she hasn't resorted to gutter language. The Dixie Chicks made their statement outside the country to a foreign audience, which I didn't think was approiate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit